“Down hill poor value.”

Cawthorne's Village Inn
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
mattawan
“Down hill poor value.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I visited the Village Inn today. This is my first experience here since the Grand Hotel has taken over. Very disappointed. The quality of the food did not go up. The price did. I ordered a root beer, what I received was a can of Faygo Root beer for 3 dollars. Yes a can of Faygo for THREE DOLLARS.I understand everything on the island is more expensive but that's just a plain rip off.
Also when I visited the restaurant wasn't busy at all, which was nice but it was dirty. There was food still on the floor from previous guests while the staff was doing crossword puzzles at the entrance podium. I expected a lot more, especially for being affiliated with the Grand Hotel. I've never been to the "Grand" but its it anything like what the Village Inn turned into I wouldn't want to go.

1 Thank lemans7238

Sugar Land, Texas
“Don't miss the planked whitefish!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I'd been told that I must try the whitefish while in the area, and to avoid the dining room at the Grand Hotel. This restaurant is run by the Grand, and it's delicious! A bit pricey, but the food was fabulous. The whitefish was ringed with piped mashed potatoes and served with grilled veggies, including artichoke hearts. Super service - reasonably quick for lunch - I was in and out in an hour. Sit at the front of the restaurant and watch the horses and wagons ride past - it's on the main road up to the Grand.

Detroit Area
“New Year's Eve Favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

With the new owners (The Grand) the food has stepped up a notch. Now understand that it was always good, but now it's even more good. (gooder) I know Better. We have celebrated New Years Eve there for several years now and we certainly enjoy it. Contact them about the New Years Eve hay ride. Fun and great scenery.

• Visited January 2013
Michigan
“Mostly Above Average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Service was good, fun waitress. We ate appetizers and had a beer. Whitefish bites were very good, Whitefish dip was very good (very smoky), salad was good, individual 7" pizza just OK. Oberon for $2.75 was very good. A little pricey overall. The smoked whitefish dip was plentiful and when we asked for extra crispy bread with it, they were very accommodating.

Midland, Michigan
“Not worth it for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

There's really nothing terrible about the Village Inn. My boyfriend and I had dinner there our first night because it was right next to our hotel. It's a typical casual restaurant except for the prices! We ordered two drinks, an appetizer, and two entrees for $100. At first, I was willing to chalk this up to Mackinac's price inflation but the next night, we ate at the Woods which had similar prices but a matching atmosphere. Overall I wouldn't recommend this place unless they lowered prices. If you want a casual experience, try the pizza place on Main.

Visited September 2013