“It's not what it use to be”

Cawthorne's Village Inn
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Village Inn use to be a nice restaurant where one could obtain a good meal at a reasonable price. Since the affiliation with the Grand Hotel, the prices have increased, and the number of selections has been reduced. It is still a pleasant place to have dinner, but I left feeling somewhat disappointed.

There are newer reviews for Cawthorne's Village Inn

Reviewed September 18, 2013

The bartender Emma really made our time there amazing. People say it's a little pricey but need to keep in mind it is actually part of the Grand Hotel family... and you can see that in the food quality as well. Had the Turkey Club sandwich and was extremely impressed with the sandwich and a great deal for being on the island.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Decisions, decisions -- what restaurant should we go to for the whitefish??? I could have gone to several different places, but I love mashed potatoes so we decided that Cawthorne Village Inn was the place! It was a bit pricey, but oh well, it sounded like a good meal.

The plate was presented beautifully, with the planked whitefish in the middle and the mashed potatoes decorating the edge, along with the vegetables. Okay, a bite of fish and I'm ready for the mashed potatoes. One bite and I could tell they were instant mashed potatoes. Very disappointed! The Manager came over to find out how our meal was and I said the fish was very good but asked if the potatoes were instant. She said she would ask the chef. She returned to our table and stated that since the Grand Hotel had taken over their restaurant, they served fresh potatoes and fresh vegetables. I thanked her, but knew that the potatoes were instant. There is a certain smell to instant mashed pototoes. Don't get me wrong; I've eaten many, many mashed potatoes. I just did not expect this for a $24 dinner. The chef also came over and explained that they were fresh Idaho mashed potatoes and asked if I'd like a different starch. Again, I was not going to argue, but was very disappointed in the dishonesty. I will not be returning there!

1  Thank Darlene L
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Perhaps our experience was unusual, but it was not worth the money. The food was not worth the hype. The presentation was nice, but the food was mostly lacking flavor. We had the famous whitefish but was disappointed. The mashed potatoes were instant and mostly inedible due to the braising on the top. The salad was good, but neither of us were happy with the overall experience.

1  Thank Jeparks
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stopped here for drinks and an appetizer on a packed saturday night. It's slightly off the main drag and was a great find. The calamri appetizer was delicious and the bartender made a mean gin martini. Live music was pretty good too. Caters to the slightly older crowd but still plenty of fun!