“Best restaurant on Mackinac Island with a wonderful view”
Review of Carriage House

Carriage House
Reserve with OpenTable
Carriage House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had the best meal we'd had on Mackinac Island in 3 days of searching. Located at the end of Main Street we entered down a lane of bright flowers to find a glass enclosed view of the light house the boats coming and going and the sun setting. Ask for a window seat or sit outside if its a pretty day.
The appetizers we started with were first class.. crab stacked with salsa and avocado, mushroom ravioli. On to whitefish crabcakes which were a little spicy. Lobster for dinner already taken out of the shell. Desserts are totally divine. Best peanut butter pie I've ever had. A circular thing smothered in chocolate sauce. ANother had their famous lemon meringue pie which was a cute mini pie.
Our waiter was very attentive. A truly wonderful experience.
The only downside is no one was dressed up. Totally casual. But that's just Mackinac.

There are newer reviews for Carriage House

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Ok, the location is great as others have noted. I've eaten here before but won't be back. $16 for a burger and fries. My son ordered lemonade and the waitress asked if he'd like a frozen lemonade. He said yes, fine, then we got the bill - $7.50 for a kid's frozen lemonade! Seriously, I know the island is expensive and I've been coming here for over 10 years, but come on that's just robbery. The drink prices aren't listed on the menu and I can see why.

The waitress was friendly and brought our dog some water.

Our family of 5 ordered the cheapest things on the lunch menu, 1 glass of wine, the ill-fated lemonade, and one soft drink for a $95 lunch. We'll stick to Village Inn, Pink Pony, and Yankee Rebel Tavern.

1  Thank MrsClean76
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The setting is divine, you won't find a better setting on the island.
The service is very good, very attentive and friendly.
The drinks are goo, I would recommend it for the drinks alone.

The food. Ugh. That's where it falls apart. When you see prices in the 30 - 60 dollar range for an entrée, you have certain expectations. Yes, we are paying for the setting, but it was out of control, the difference between the price and the quality. Our appetizers were ok. I had the crab and avocado tower. It was very under-seasoned, but it was ok. Just very very tiny considering the price tag.

For my main course, I had the scallops. They were well done and tasted good. I enjoyed the risotto served with them. But the vegetables were just weird. A stalk of broccoli (unseasoned) that was boiled, next to two beets that were simply peeled and boiled and placed on the plate. Just not appetizing at all.

The real issue came with my husband's meal. We really don't fuss about stuff at restaurants, but we had to return his steak because it was way overdone. He asked for medium rare and got well done. So we send it back, and while I'm finishing my meal, we are waiting for him to get a new steak. By the time his steak arrived, my meal was finished. And the second steak was well done too. The steak was in the mid-40 dollar range, you would expect it to be well cooked. To her credit, the manager offered the steak, but our dinner was rather ruined by the back-and-forth and not even eating at the same time.

We didn't get dessert. By the time we had finished the entrees, we had already spent way more money than we thought the meal was worth.

So, I say go for drinks, but save your money and just get a pizza down the street.

1  Thank Les68
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Walked in, there was noone in the place. Saw that we had small children and talked among themselves and we were told rudely nothing available until 900 pm at 500 pm with many tables available. Not the way to do a good business. Staff very rude. Not child friendly. If you have kids avoid this place!

2  Thank Jwalker2009
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was a great location and I was very impressed. I enjoyed lunch here with a group of 5 of us. The patio was beautiful, right on the water and they also allow dogs to be on the outside patio. Even bringing out a water bowl for your pup. Our service was a little slow but this wasn't a formal dinner where top notch service was expected.