“WAY overpriced, mediocre food, friendly service”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Carriage House

Carriage House
Reserve with OpenTable
Carriage House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Michigan
“WAY overpriced, mediocre food, friendly service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Ok, the location is great as others have noted. I've eaten here before but won't be back. $16 for a burger and fries. My son ordered lemonade and the waitress asked if he'd like a frozen lemonade. He said yes, fine, then we got the bill - $7.50 for a kid's frozen lemonade! Seriously, I know the island is expensive and I've been coming here for over 10 years, but come on that's just robbery. The drink prices aren't listed on the menu and I can see why.

The waitress was friendly and brought our dog some water.

Our family of 5 ordered the cheapest things on the lunch menu, 1 glass of wine, the ill-fated lemonade, and one soft drink for a $95 lunch. We'll stick to Village Inn, Pink Pony, and Yankee Rebel Tavern.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank MrsClean76

“Too overpriced and average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

The setting is divine, you won't find a better setting on the island.
The service is very good, very attentive and friendly.
The drinks are goo, I would recommend it for the drinks alone.

The food. Ugh. That's where it falls apart. When you see prices in the 30 - 60 dollar range for an entrée, you have certain expectations. Yes, we are paying for the setting, but it was out of control, the difference between the price and the quality. Our appetizers were ok. I had the crab and avocado tower. It was very under-seasoned, but it was ok. Just very very tiny considering the price tag.

For my main course, I had the scallops. They were well done and tasted good. I enjoyed the risotto served with them. But the vegetables were just weird. A stalk of broccoli (unseasoned) that was boiled, next to two beets that were simply peeled and boiled and placed on the plate. Just not appetizing at all.

The real issue came with my husband's meal. We really don't fuss about stuff at restaurants, but we had to return his steak because it was way overdone. He asked for medium rare and got well done. So we send it back, and while I'm finishing my meal, we are waiting for him to get a new steak. By the time his steak arrived, my meal was finished. And the second steak was well done too. The steak was in the mid-40 dollar range, you would expect it to be well cooked. To her credit, the manager offered the steak, but our dinner was rather ruined by the back-and-forth and not even eating at the same time.

We didn't get dessert. By the time we had finished the entrees, we had already spent way more money than we thought the meal was worth.

So, I say go for drinks, but save your money and just get a pizza down the street.

1 Thank Les68
“If you have kids stay away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Walked in, there was noone in the place. Saw that we had small children and talked among themselves and we were told rudely nothing available until 900 pm at 500 pm with many tables available. Not the way to do a good business. Staff very rude. Not child friendly. If you have kids avoid this place!

2 Thank Jwalker2009
Kansas City, Missouri
“Loved the food, service was a little off”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was a great location and I was very impressed. I enjoyed lunch here with a group of 5 of us. The patio was beautiful, right on the water and they also allow dogs to be on the outside patio. Even bringing out a water bowl for your pup. Our service was a little slow but this wasn't a formal dinner where top notch service was expected.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Best Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We come to the Island every couple of years and the Carriage House is one of our favorites! It is located on the West end of Main Street near the library and not too far from Shepler's dock. Yes, it is expensive, but if you go for lunch it is very affordable. You do not need to dress any particular way for lunch and you cannot beat the views of Lake Huron. The gardens are picturesque and always stunning. This time was no different. They offer indoor and outdoor seating with tables and seating for a variety of group sizes. This time we had 2 adults and 2 children, but two years ago they took our large group of 9 without much of a wait.

I am a vegetarian and my husband a carnivore. This is one of only a few places on the Island that we are both consistently happy with our meals and atmosphere. I like the vegetarian and healthier options and he likes the meats. The great food combined with the views make this place a must on all of our trips. They do offer a kids menu and we were able get the most delicious fresh fruit for them rather than the standard fries at no extra cost.

• Visited July 2013