“Awesome Experience!”

The Gate House
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A casual restaurant/bar just a short walk down Grand Hill. Serving lunch, dinner, and beverages inside and outside. Televisions and live music. Overnight guests of Grand Hotel on the Modified American Plan or Full American Plan receive a $20.00 per adult credit towards the food portion of their dinner bill. There is tipping at The Gate House. Check the Restaurant Events Calendar for live music schedule, food/drink specials and more.Hours of Operation: 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m.Luncheon: 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Dinner: 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday Overnight guests of Grand Hotel on the Modified American Plan receive a $20.00 per adult credit towards the food portion of their bill.There is tipping at The Gate House.
Eau Claire, WI
“Awesome Experience!”
Reviewed October 31, 2008

We ate lunch at the Gatehouse on September 14, 2008 and it was awesome! My husband had the Gatehouse burger and I had the BLT Pretzel Sandwich. Outstanding! We are very particular about restaurant food since there is very little that impresses us since we cook better than most restaurants! Also, the service was impeccable! So, here's to the Gatehouse!!!

Michigan
“Worst Bar On the Island”
Reviewed October 2, 2007

The Gate House is poorly managed and they charge a $3 cover charge during the off season on a weeknight. The manager/bouncer is out of control and needs to be replaced. Our recent encounter there resulted with the manager shoving my son (the groom) who was trying to help the rest of our wedding party get in for our pub crawl. There was no reason for the shove. We also ran into another local girl that night who had some bad things to say about this manager too. My understanding is that the locals won't go there to spend their money anymore, because this manager treats them poorly at the door. They lost the business of 21 people on an organized pub crawl last Thursday night, and they've lost our business forever.

3 Thank Groomsmom2007
Deerfield Beach, FL
“Lock the Gate House”
Reviewed August 13, 2006

The Gate House Restaurant, which is now owned by the Grand Hotel, certainly doesn't carry any of the traits of the hotel. On our recent 10 day vacation to Michigan the meal we had here would rate as the worst of our trip. It would also rate as the worst meal we've had in a restaurant in recent memory. My wife and I both choose items off of the favorites list. Whose favorites these might have been I wouldn't want to know. My wife ordered a chicken and pasta dish that was palateable but extremely bland. I ordered fish and chips and what I received qualifies as the worst fish and chips ever prepared, dryed out to the point what I don't know. The service was not any better. We never say our waitress at our table again the entire meal. We were never asked how anything was or if we wanted more to drink. Our glasses were empty from the time we were served until we left, and we were drinking beverages that don't come with free refills. We had to ask for a check by standing and heading for the door, and our request to see a manager was not met in a timely fashion, so after paying the bill we just left disgusted. If you think that since this establishment is owned by such a prestigious hotel that its professionalism and quality will carry over to this restaurant ... forget it.

14 Thank threekeys