“Great atmosphere and excellent food”
Review of Seabiscuit Cafe

Seabiscuit Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: This popular Mackinac Island eatery features a celebratory horse theme starring the 1938 true life story of the famous champion thoroughbred, Seabiscuit. The former 1800's bank building was renovated to reveal the original brick walls and hardwood floors transforming it into one of Mackinac Island’s most popular watering holes. A unique and casual menu appropriately fits this cozy café. Seabiscuit fans rave about the deliciously fresh menu options. Discover your new favorite cocktail, the Mamosa. Open 7am until 2am serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, and creative cocktails.
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We just stopped in for a bowl of soup, but had good service and delicious food. I liked the shrimp corn chowder better than the tomato basil, but would enjoy either!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,098)

Reviewed September 19, 2010

My husband and I chose to eat at this location due to the good reviews. We were on the island Sept 14th which was a Tuesday and we stopped by post lunch rush. Things were fairly quiet and the restaurant was half full. We had our two year old son with us. (Note to parents, this establishment is not prepared for children.) Long story short my husband ordered the mini burgers and I ordered a chicken sandwich. I started eating my food only to find out that the chicken was raw in the middle. I waited for the server to check on us but she was too busy having a conversation with other waitstaff in the corner. My husband proceded to finish his meal before she returned. When I showed her the chicken she did not apologize but rather asked if I wanted it put back on the grill. Since my husband was finished with his meal (and I had for some reason lost my appetite) I said that was not necessary. Saying nothing she took my plate away and came back with the bill. Again saying nothing. So in summary, bad food, bad service, not good for children. I guess they don't worry about giving guests salmonella.

1  Thank avirnig
Reviewed September 16, 2010

John, the manager and Miss Nancy were a real treat here. After reading many reviews about poor service on the island, these two are a nice surprise. We were looking for a good Bloody Mary and Bree the bartender did not disappoint. Made with fresh ingredients and a killer spicy pickle, made these a great choice. Price was $6 each and that included a beer chaser. If Bloodys are your thing...check this out. Also, heard the food is good but didn't eat here.

Reviewed September 7, 2010

Pros: Good Food, Cozy Venue
Cons: None

We came here for a late night dinner and surprisingly the other reviews don't lie about how good their food was. They have a pretty diverse menu offering from American to Indian and their prices were average for food on the island. They are located in the heart of downtown and we had a great time drinking here. Overall we enjoyed our dining experience here. Happy travels!

1  Thank Flipadee005
Reviewed August 27, 2010

One day this place was so busy the next open tables. We happened to stop on the busy day and got passed over on the waiting list. They offered to get us a drink while we waited for the next table, but then the drinks were on our bill anyway. Good food and nice and clean. Would have been great if we had not been passed and not billed for the drinks that put a damper on our meal.