“Perfect location - close but just out of the fray”
Review of Windermere Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Windermere Hotel
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We stayed at the Windermere for two nights for a family get-together. The staff is pleasant (I wouldn't say they were overly-friendly) and the hotel is CLEAN. Absolutely pristinely clean. The rooms are very large (we had a room with a side view, 2 Q beds). The other people in our party had a room with 2Q and one Q and a single (they had kids and this was perfect for them). I have stayed on Mackinac many times before and a room this large is somewhat unusual.

Perfect location. Just at the tip of the island across from open land where only a small hot dog stand (they own it) sits. Beautiful view of the straits and of the sunrise. The hotel is just far enough off the beaten path to remain quiet at most times. It is an old house so it does get noisy at night with people coming back to the hotel for the evening, particularly if they have unruly kids running up and down the halls (that was our neighbor). However, they supply fans in the rooms that we used to drown out the noise - worked perfectly (even louder than my "sound machine").

In reference to the previous post about tipping porters. Yes, you absolutely should tip your porter. I can't imagine who would ever think that people don't get tips that carry your bags. You tip the curbside airport person, why wouldn't you tip a porter who carries your bags ON A BICYCLE from the docks (3 blocks away!!)???! Comments from him were not appropriate but clearly, this person has not traveled often.

In any case, I would highly recommend the Windermere. Clean, cost efficient, and great location. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank ALil'Irish!

Reviewed July 26, 2007

Worst service ever!...We had booked a room for five nights at the Windermere we arrived late Monday approx. 8:30 pm Porter Glen meet us and biked our luggage to hotel as we rode our bikes when we got into room he kind of explained things and set our bags in room and as he was leaving before he got out of our room he and i was standing there he said under his breath " Waited till 9 o'clock for nothing!" At that point i realized i should have tipped him Ive never had a porter before or even someone take luggage to my room so i was kinda thrown off and it slipped my mind. But after that who want to tip him. I infomred that lady at the desk and she said well he has been working all day and he did wait he works of tips and there is a charge for porting i wasnt aware of this until i read the paper in the room website says nothing and when i called before we arrived multiply times and inquired about getting luggage to room and no one said. So i informed the lady at the desk again that "we (me and wife) did not feel comfortable staying" since the port would be around (he lives in the house) and that we didnt get any help from her she said we "need to speak with the owner Margaret Doud Also the Mayor of the island in the morning" I told her that we would be checking out in the morning and if the owner wants to talk we will be down in the morning. so in the morning we got packed up and headed down the only person to be seen was GLEN the porter so we hung around for a few min. with no sign as we were walking out with our luggage Glen made a little comment again "NICE" under his breath watching us walk out the door. Since we had alrady paid our deposit for the first night we wanted to make sure we wouldnt get charged anymore so we called the hotel and spoke with another lady and she educated us that 0 charge on card and margeret had to step out this morning and missed us. Whatever Glad we got outta there.. four nights at the THE MURRAY HOTEL WAS AWESOME! GIANT HOT TUB BREAKFAST BUFFET A/C, Wireless internet, COOKIES TO YOUR ROOM FREE! ALL FOR THE SAME PRICE AS THE rude windermere CALL MURRAY AT 800-462-2546 THIS IS NOT AN AD TRUE STORY!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank jakemc85
Reviewed July 21, 2007

A friend of ours was getting married at the Grand Hotel on the weekend of July 7, 2007. Being that we were invited, of course we needed a place to stay for the weekend.

My wife & I decided on the Windermere Hotel, just off of the waterfront.

When we came in that evening there was a gentleman named Gary waiting for us as we arrived. We had gotten late that evening, but still, he was there waiting for us.

He was really nice and even carted our bags to our room (We got spoiled...sweet).

The staff at the hotel were very nice...the hotel itself is really beautiful. They have pretty much a continental breakfast in the mornings, and it's really nice to sit on the front porch with coffee in hand watching the start of another day.

We were able to get a room with a full view of the bay...it was just great both nights we stayed there. The view of the bay was better than what we expected. It was very comfortable in the evening, and was only a short walk to get to the heart of shopping & restaurants on the island.

We parted on Sunday from the hotel...we would have loved to stay a few extra nights.

Would I recommend it to those that visit to the island? YES.

We plan on going back in the fall...and we plan on staying at the Windermere again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Devls1
Reviewed June 30, 2007

NO place could be CLEANER!!! Owned by Mackinac's MAYOR!
HUGE comfortable rooms with beautiful views. Usually donut holes and juice in the morning. Be sure to enjoy the MOST comfy porch in the world. Thank you SO much Mrs. Doud.
Susan

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank willowdown
Reviewed June 18, 2007

Nice hotel with a good location. A guy waits for you at the ferry docks. Nice, comfy rooms, a charming porch and an OK continental breakfast - all pluses.

Service however was not so great. We arrived late-ish and got zero advice on finding a good eat ("I'm sure you'll find something"). There are good options on Mackinac, but that night just by walking around we happened to randomly pick a very crappy place. On two occasions in a single day tomorrow we had to wait for like 20 minutes for anyone to show up at the check-in/office and when they eventually appeared the attitude would be something. We also asked to leave the suitcase with them until the evening - sure, when we came back after a full day, it was still there in the middle of the common room for anyone to take. Not that service was *really* bad - it just seemed a little off in this price range.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Joe_78
Reviewed August 14, 2006

We stayed at the Windemere to celebrate our Golden Wedding anniversary. Our entire family of ten attended. Their porter met us at the ferry terminal and took care of all our luggage. We enjoyed the large, beautiful porch each day and all the other guests were very friendly. Margaret Doud met all our needs. We stayed there two nights. Our family rode the bicycles around the island. We enjoyed the Butterfly House and all the spectular sights around the island. We had our formal dinner at the Carriage House. The food was delicious but on the expensive side. Afterwards, we enjoyed cake baked by Martha's Sweet Shop, topped with our original wedding cake topper.
Our entire family had a wonderful, wonderful time on Mackinac Island and at the Windemere.

The Bridges family, Angola, IN.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank BWeezer35
A TripAdvisor Member
Missouri
Reviewed June 18, 2006

My husband suprised me with the best honeymoon getaway ever. He told me what to pack and said we'd be driving. I thought we'd go somewhere in Florida because he told me to pack a bathing suit and that was in driving distance.

We love road trips and he said we'd have some stop offs before we got there. Once we started driving I figured out that we were going up to Michigan (I wouldn't let him blind-fold me). We go up to Michigan every year and love it. The lakes are so awesome, words cannot describe. But then as I started guessing the actual place we were going, I realized he was taking me somewhere different.

When we finally got to Mackinac Island, I was so excited because what better place to go then an island to truely get away from everything. Our cell phone didn't even work there! It was perfectly private!

The Windermere Hotel is right off the main street and so convenient. Not to mention the cutest hotel we've ever been in. The rooms aren't huge or anything too special but they are extremely clean and comfortable. The front porch and private beach is something we love so much.

Since there are no vehicles allowed on the island, we rented bikes and rode everywhere. The Grand Palace is beautiful but it takes so long to get there from the main street. If you want to be close to everything, stay at the Windermere Hotel. The other resorts are nice too, but the Windermere just has charm that doesn't compare. Check out their site for more info.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member