“Loved The Windermere”
Review of Windermere Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Windermere Hotel
Midwest
“Loved The Windermere”
Reviewed July 8, 2009

Glenn, the hotel porter, met us promptly at the Starline dock. Use the Starline if you can, it's practicly accross the street from the Windermere. Glenn was very charming, and loved to play with our two kids. Be sure to give him a nice tip for carrying your bags. He places everything in the room for you, even if you check in early and the room isn't quite ready. Check in was smooth and efficient with Virginia, an absolute lovely woman. Our room had two beds, a queen and a twin, and was spottless, with a partial view of the water. The continental breakfast was served from 7am-10am, and consisted of tasty doughnut holes and muffins, as well as danish. Orange juice and wonderful coffee were also served. If you need coffee earlier like me, go down mainstreet to Marc's Double Oven, he was open at 530am, maybe even earlier...not much opens before 7am, even Starbucks. This hotel has a beautiful lobby, and wonderful front porch which many of the guests enjoy in the morning and evening. Some previous comments stated that the owner Ms. Doud wasn't very friendly, but I disagree. Sure, she may not be a bubbly 20 year old working the counter of a Holiday Inn, but she was very professional, and more than willing to help in anyway. I felt she fit right in with the elegance and charm of the Windermere.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Jun23-2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
mayville
Reviewed June 20, 2009

I stayed here with my mom, sisters, aunt, and cousins, and we had a wonderful time. It's a very pretty place, we thoroughly enjoyed the front porch as well as the sun room where they serve coffee and donuts and such in the mornings. The rooms were a good size with plenty of room for all of us. We needed two rooms and loved that we got a setup where the rooms were next to each other and had a door that we could keep open or closed as we needed and didn't have to go out in the hallway to go back and forth. My one and only complaint would be the service. The ladies at the front desk were really quite unfriendly. It really throws me off when people who are in the service industry don't greet you with a smile on their face. I've been in that industry, and I just can't imagine not being helpful or friendly to people, especially people who are usually in a happy mood because they are on vacation. Anyhow, it does seem to be in keeping with the general treatment we got while on the island. Lots and lots of unfriendly servers and such, although a bunch of them were college kids so I guess maybe they don't care as much? (Although I was in my early 20s not all that long ago, and once again, I always try to be friendly to people; age shouldn't matter, right?) Needless to say, we are going back again this year. We had a great time and enjoyed our stay despite the lack of friendliness. And as an aside, when my aunt called in January to book our stay for this summer, she said once again, not overly friendly at all. I would still recommend the Windermere though.

Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Michigan
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Hubby and I traveled to Mackinac Island with my parents and my single brother. We reserved the Family Room (Two Queens and Twin) which was perfect for our family size. The room is cozy but given the price of hotels on the island, it was a very good deal. If we have rented 2 double rooms at any other hotels on the island, our price would have doubled or tripled. Bring your own shampoo/conditioner, they only provided soap in the bathroom. Be prepared to tip the porter who helps transport your luggage from the pier to your room (stairs only, no elevator in the hotel). There is no A/C in the room but N Michigan is pretty cool even in August. There is no TV in the room, you can borrow games from the front desk or watch the TV in the lobby with other guests. There is no internet connection.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Lima, OH
Reviewed October 12, 2008

My wife and I went there Oct. 11 2008. Nice time. Took forever to check in - they couldn't get our information quite right, but at least we still had a room. Our friends took even longer to check in. The porter got our luggage, no problem. Room was large & comfortable... well, except for the chair in the room, but I think that was pretty minor. Our room overlooked what we could see of the lake. I didn't care for the breakfast in the morning, but that could have been part personal preference. It took some patience to check out too - we had to find someone to check us out. It was pretty easy to get to, and a nice short walk to some very nice attractions. Overall, a nice time. If we have the opportunity, I think we'd go back to this hotel.

• Liked — It was "old school" - not much in the line of electronics, television, etc...
  • Disliked — It was "old school" - internet? No phone, no televisions, etc..
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Never will we stay at the Windermere again. Booked reservation in Aug. for Oct. got a call two days before we were to arrive stating their staff made a mistake since the whole hotel was booked for a group therefore we did not have a room. The confirmation was signed by the owner. Only a "Sorry" was said.

Another hotel upon hearing our problem gave us 10% off our stay and upgraded to a deluxe room--now that is customer service!

Stayed at the same hotel last year with good results, a little skimpy on the bathroom amenities.

• Disliked — lack of friendliness and lack of organization regarding the reservation process.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank unionmed
Houghton, MI
Reviewed May 15, 2008

We were very happy with our stay at the Windemere. The staff are friendly, helpful, and interested in their customers. The rooms were a really pleasant surprise for the off-season price--and on-season, too. The shower pressure and temperature were great! Coffee, juice, and pastries are available in the morning. Very nice. We all agreed (three women) that we would stay there again. Especially nice are the new TV in the lobby and the tuned piano. Highly recommended!

• Liked — Charming decor
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank TrilliumGeranium
Reidsville, NC
Reviewed January 18, 2008

I am a veteran Mackinac Island visitor as we cruised the Great Lakes for years and the island was a regular stop. My wife had never before visited the island. I selected the Windermere because it is a traditional island hotel, still unairconditioned, no television in the rooms, etc.

We were met at the Arnold Line dock by Glen, the bike porter. He had our bags to the hotel before we got our tandem unloaded from the boat and down the main street.

Our room, on the third floor, had a partial view of the channel. We often saw the freighters passing by with loads of ore and coal. The room was very large, even with two double beds, it was plenty roomy. The bath was large and modern and convenient. The hotel was absolutely spotless. I have never been in a hotel as clean.

The staff was friendly and made our stay especially enjoyable. Most are permanent residents of the island. The hotel is run by the mayor of Mackinac Island and owned by her mother. It has been in the Doud family since it was made into a hotel in 1904.

There is a continental breakfast in the parlor. I took advantage of it and enjoyed my coffee in an old wicker rocker on the porch. The grounds are beautiful, the building is much as it was over 100 years ago, the location at Windermere (Biddle) Point is great. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We will be back, Lord willing.

Stayed June 2006