“1st time, but will eat there again”

The Yankee Rebel Tavern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Extensive menu selection and good food & drink. Had pot roast sandwich - yummm! Convenient in town location. "Summer" was a delightful server and attentive. Moderately quiet. Reasonable prices for the island.

There are newer reviews for The Yankee Rebel Tavern

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I always have dinner here when I stay on the island. This time I had the pork chop and it was definitely the best I've ever had. The prices are a bit high, but it's Mackinac Island. ALL the prices are high on the island. The food is worth the $$.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

On our we were wet and cold. After checking into our B&B we went to the 2 restaurants we had reviewed on TA and found the Yankee Rebel had more Vegetarian selection and we are glad we skipped the first ranked and ate here. The service was great and food warmed us up.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Outside of The Woods restaurant, the very best restaurant on the island is The Yankee Rebel Tavern. This was the first “meal” we ate on the island, and it totally didn’t disappoint.

Where most all the restaurants on the island are very small and cozy, this place was surprisingly roomie. When you look at it from the outside you would guess it’s dinky, however there are a ton of tables and a ton of room to be comfortable (I’m a big guy, so this means something to me!).

Our waitress was awesome! She was always coming around, asking how everything is, recommending items on the menu, and telling us stories of how it is to live on the island year-around, which she does (there are only 423 people that do-so per her). She was the best server on the entire island!

For an appetizer we had the Portobello Mushroom…but don’t let the name fool you, because you get much more than that. You get mushrooms (excellent by the way), roasted red peppers (I’m never a fan, but these were great), hummas, and roasted garlic. This dish was excellent, and my wife and I wiped the plate clean!

For dinner my wife got steak, which she said was great, and I had probably the best dish I had on the island, and maybe the best fish dish I’ve had in my life: Pistachio Crusted Whitefish. OMG WOW! The taste cannot be explained, and make sure you ask for extra honey butter. Just such an amazing dish, and to be honest, I’m going to try to recreate it tonight.

Highly suggest this place…just amazing!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Yankee Rebel is noted for its great food and service. We visited during Restaurant Week and enjoyed some special meals. But the pistachio encrusted whitefish is on the menu all the time - delicious! The cozy ambiance with the fireplace going is just what you need for a break in Island-roaming.