“First Anniversary Near Perfection”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Main Street Inn and Suites
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Rochester Hills, MI
“First Anniversary Near Perfection”
Reviewed October 13, 2008

We had stayed at Main Street Inn in 2006, and loved it. At the time, we had one of the more basic rooms. This time, we were staying to celebrate our first anniversary so we booked one of the 'honeymoon' suites which included a jacuzzi, a sitting room, and a balcony overlooking Main Street.

We loved our time there and will have a hard time ever going to another place on Mackinac. The room was wonderful, the jacuzzi was very enjoyable, the view was great, and the staff was very accommodating. They helped recommend a place for us to have dinner on our anniversary, and they even helped us get a bat out of our room after it flew in while we were standing on the balcony.

The only thing that I would recommend that the property consider is making the entire property, including the balconies, non-smoking. I believe all rooms are non-smoking but there were ashtrays on all of the balconies. The balconies are all open to one another, and of course the people next to us were outside smoking away. Since my wife is pregnant and we can't stand the smell of smoke anyways, it made it where we had to go inside while they were puffing away.

But, we definitely enjoyed it and look forward to many future returns.

• Liked — Great location and wonderful rooms
  • Disliked — Smoking allowed on the balconies
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sirrealone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 9, 2008

I was so pleased when I first stepped into our room. It was spotless clean and smelling very nice. I am a clean freak. Most hotels do not meet my expectation in term of cleanliness. The Main Street Inn met my expectation and beyond. The staffs were very friendly. We will definitely stay there again next time we visit the island.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Goodtime049
Battle Creek, MI
Reviewed September 8, 2008

My wife and I have been to Mackinac Island several times. Everytime we go we book our room at the Main Street Inn. It is the clean, the staff is friendly, the rooms are spacious, and the beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept on in my life. We always try to book on of the two Honeymoon because they are bar far the best rooms on the entire island. They have a large living room, a wet bar, a show with dual shower heads, the toilet is in a separate room from the shower, there is a large whirlpool hot tub, a four post canopy bed with a pillow top mattress, and the honeymoon suites also have balconies. We have looked at every hotel on the island; and for the overall experience, you can't beat this place. The rooms that have balconies provide great views. You are not only overlooking the Main Street of Mackinac Island, but you also get to enjoy the views of the lake as well. You can watch the ferry and other boats traveling back and forth.
When you look at the fact that this is the newest hotel on the island you can't help but see the real value of staying here. Other hotels on the island are nice, but they are quite pricey because they need to updated a little.
If you are trying to figure out where to stay on Mackinac Island, just book a room at the Main Street Inn and Suites, and you will be hooked for life. I know I am.

• Liked — It is right in the middle of everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Keevo1980
Chicago
Reviewed September 1, 2008

This was our first visit to the island. We were originally booked at another hotel. After reading the reviews on tripadvisor, looking at pictures, and the fact that this is the newest hotel on the island, I decided to book us at Main Street Inn instead. I am so very happy I did! We were getting married on the island and then spending a few days after for our honeymoon. It was so important to me to pick the right place. First of all, the hotel was lovely - - and very clean! The first few nights we stayed in the two bedroom suite; it was huge and had everything you'd ever need! The last night we stayed in the honeymoon suite. I figured we'd have more of a chance of finding something wrong staying in two different rooms during the course of our vacation, but we didn't! Everything worked and everything felt very clean! The staff was also a very pleasant surprise, from maintenance, to housekeeping, to the front desk. Everybody was incredibly helpful and made you feel like they actually cared. From start to finish, I couldn't have been happier with this hotel. Thank you Main Street Inn for making my wedding/honeymoon stay so nice!

• Liked — Newest hotel, clean, location, and staff
  • Disliked — Loved Everything
1 Thank Annalise28
Michigan
Reviewed August 27, 2008

My husband and I went to Mackinac Island for our honeymoon, and we decided to stay at the Main Street Inn. We are both just out of college, so we don't usually spend much on a hotel, but it was our honeymoon and so we decided to splurge a little. However, I think that this hotel was completely worth the money, and we had an absolutely wonderful stay - I don't think we've ever stayed at a nicer hotel. Right from the start the staff was helpful and courteous, and they brought our bags over from the ferry so that we wouldn't have to try and wrangle them with our bikes. Speaking of bikes, they let you keep them in the hotel basement, so you don't have to worry about theft. They also gave us a 10% off coupon to use at JoAnn's fudge when we checked in.

The first night we stayed in a deluxe standard room with a king bed (#302). The room was nicely decorated (keeping with the period theme that dominates the island), and was VERY clean. I'm a huge germ-a-phobe, so cleanliness is a top factor in determining my view of a hotel. Not a speck of dirt or piece of hair anywhere. The room also had a mini refrigerator and a safe, but the best part was that there was a box from JoAnn's fudge with three huge chocolate-covered strawberries in it. Yum!

For the next two nights of our stay, we upgraded to a one bedroom suite (#309 - which doesn't have a jacuzzi, which was fine because I wouldn't use it anyway as I'm opposed to jacuzzis in ANY hotel). We were very happy with the suite, as it was immaculately clean and exceeded our expectations. Our balcony overlooked Main Street and the Harbor, which get surprisingly quite after about 8 pm until about 8 am. I was worried about 5 am ferry horns waking us up, but the earliest ferry I heard was 8 am, so no problems there. Also, the horns are not very loud inside the hotel, so you don't really notice them unless you're paying attention to them. We also received 1/4 # of fudge from JoAnn's in our room both nights. Double yum!

The staff at the hotel was very nice, and I think that the fact that the hotel only has 18 rooms allows them to better cater to their guests. When we moved from the standard room to the suite, the staff moved our bags and our refrigerator contents for us while we were out and about. They must have noticed that we had a bottle of wine chilling, because when we checked into the suite a few hours later they had left wine glasses, towels folded like hearts, and a note of congratulations in our room. It was really nice. We also appreciated the dining advice we received from the front desk staff, as both places they recommended were wonderful (Yankee Rebel Tavern and Village Inn). Although there is no breakfast at the hotel, the in-room coffee was really good, and since we are cereal people we didn't really mind because we could keep a 1/2 gallon of milk in the fridge.

Overall we loved our stay at the Main Street Inn. Clean rooms, comfy beds, and good service. I told my husband that we're in trouble now because many other hotels just won't make the cut after staying here!

• Liked — Clean, nice rooms, good service
  • Disliked — no breakfast
4 Thank c_juleski
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed August 14, 2008

This hotel is located directly across from Sheppler's Ferry Dock.
You can check your luggage at the Ferry on Mackinaw.
It was nice to just hand our claim checks to the Hotel valet's at the ferry Terminal.
They had our bags to the room within 1 minute of check in.

Booking the room was a little bit different. There was no booking on their website. You fill out a form and they contact you with availability, then book the reservation. I didn't really like the room cancellation policy. No refund at all if cancelled less than 10 days from check in, and even then they keep 25 dollars. So be sure you will be going. This wasn't an issue for us, but I value felxibility as things happen and I don't like penalties like that. Just beware.
The hotel lobby is really tiny, so if lots of people checked in at the same time I could see it could be chaotic.
However, we were the only ones checking in so it was super fast and easy. Everybody we met at the hotel was extremely pleasant and the girl at the front desk was no exception. Honestly, the only staff member we saw was the person at the front desk. No Maid carts clogging the halls. It was very peaceful. The place is sparkling clean so I know there are plenty of staff. It was just nice to not bump into them every time you turn around.

We stayed in room 310 ( a two bedroom suite ) . The room was very clean and brignt and was simply beautiful. Two very comfortable ( queen, I think ) beds in a nice sized bedroom, then a very large bathroom with jacuzzu tub which easily accomodated two of us with room to spare. Sparkling clean was how I would describe the bathroom. The bathroom towels were very very soft ( and there were plenty of them ).The living room was huge and really nicely decorated. There is a refrigerator and microwave oven, and coffee maker in the living area.
The bay window gave a nice view of the bay.
We spent several hours on the balcony watching the excitement of main street, ( due to a last minute unavailability of a babysitter we were there with our 12 week old son so we were sort of stuck in the room at night.....Thank God we had such a great room )

We paid approximately 350 dollars ( including tax ) for this gorgeous two bedroom suite. I cannot imagine paying over 400 dollars more to stay in teh cheap tiny gawdy over the top silly Grand Hotel.......three times the price and 1/5th the room for your Money.

We will return to this hotel again, if we ever spend the night on Mackinac island

The best part of staying over night is that all of the tourists are gone after 7 PM.
It's such a peaceful place after all the day trippers leave. It reminded us of Venice Italy which is just the same.

PS: The best pizza is at Goodfellows ( we asked several of the locals and we agreed! )

• Liked — Location and Quality of the room
  • Disliked — check out 11 AM. Small elevator.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank snaggletooth
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 13, 2008

We had a lovely time staying at the Honeymoon Suite here at the Main Street Inn on Mackinac for our 10th anniversary. The suite was large and very well equipped, from the comfy king-size four poster bed, large jacuzzi & separate shower, small kitchenette, large sitting room, and balcony with lake view. Even had wireless internet. The nightly turn down service was great with the fudge, and the housekeeping was excellent. The staff was very accommodating about helping with info about the island, where to go, where to eat & what to do. We loved it!

• Liked — beautiful rooms, internet
  • Disliked — street noise
1 Thank snooksinK.C.