“We had the most amazing wedding weekend!!!”

The Inn at Stonecliffe
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“We had the most amazing wedding weekend!!!”
Reviewed August 30, 2014

Everything was beyond anything we ever imagined our day could be. Becky and Nelorean were a dream to work with. From the moment I woke up to start my day, to the time we finally called it a night, they were there to accommodate any request. The service was beyond exceptional and the food was delicious! They really handled everything for us so that we didn’t have to worry about a thing. Trust your day in their hands, you will be able to relax and enjoy your special day!!

Room Tip: Bring your bike or rent one because it is a about a mile to town but we liked being tucked away in t...
2 Thank MrsDeGraaf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Warren, Michigan
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Talk about dropping the ball! So shamefully I am almost a year late. We had our wedding here. I may be a little bit predjudice, however, this was the most beautiful and perfect wedding I have ever been to! Becky Miller was amazing helping me plan the biggest day of my life, she worked with our budget and our time frame, even offering to open the Inn a weekend later just for our alternate wedding date. The entire staff was amazing, I mean amazing beyond words from the wait staff and bartenders to the management, Garret did his best to make sure everything ran smoothly. I felt like royalty as so did my guests. The food was perfectly prepared and presented all the way down to the appetizers, the portions were generous. The staff did a beautiful job decorating our reception space, just as I pictured. The grounds of where we said our vows and spent time taking pictures was beyond beauty. Our rooms were perfect and had plenty of room for our guests. The breakfast buffet was grand, everything you could imagine and tasty! I am now getting ready to book our 1st anniversary and I can't think of a better place then where we started, my husband and I are looking forward to spending it at, The Inn at Stone Cliff. I would recommend, weddings, parties, or just a mini-get away at The Inn at Stone Cliff, you will never be disappointed spending time here.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful, but if you can stay in the mansion, it is well worth it!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

We were able to score a last minute room here for a spontaneous trip to the island! I booked thru trip advisor and I think I lucked into the last room on the island. Lol. It was a tad pricey but we really wanted to go so didn't mind. The pool was nice. The location is quiet and away from downtown which is what we were looking for. We found the dining room was packed for dinner and couldn't get on last minute but we were able to eat at the bar area and the food was great so we enjoyed it. Lovely view outside for dinner from bar area. The jalapeño popper appetizer was delish! The room also included a nice breakfast buffet so all around it was a good deal. The room itself was charming. The bath was nice actually for a vintage hotel and room was huge with a great view of the straits. I'll def return.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank travelermillions
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 21, 2014

The hotel is pleasant enough both in appearance and staff composition. However, it is located two miles from two, ride that costs $14 ($7 each way) to go to and from town. The other option is a two mile walk, which we took to save hundreds of dollars, since we stay for 5 days and there were four of us. The "complimentary" breakfast is not up to par either in variety or quality. Doing more would have been easy, but most retail hotel chains have better choices than this location, which was $350/night. No lunch is offered on site, so to each, you pay or walk (or hoard what you can buy at the market in town). The pool is small and noisy. Dinner choices were few, with only one vegetarian option, ravioli that cost $26 for about 8 raviolis, and it wasn't even that good. No bread, no salad, no dessert, not alcohol. $60 for two of us. No well/rail drinks are available. The least expensive alcoholic beverage in the lounge is $9. Hawaii is cheaper! Stay in town - it is noisier, but hikes are everywhere and it should not require a four 4 mile walk to have lunch and/or dinner. The room was clean, but the sofa bed was a terrible bed on which to sleep. It was lumpy, soft (except for the folding bars) and extremely uncomfortable. The main bed was large enough but it, too, was uncomfortable. Mackinac Is. Is beautiful. This is not a hotel to which we will return.

Room Tip: Do your research and ask questions about food availability, travel to town options, room comfort and...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Bottlecap-Rock
Plainwell, Michigan
Reviewed August 16, 2014

We recently spent a relaxing two days on Mackinac Island at The Inn at Stonecliffe. Although we had stayed on the island many times before, we were always right down town where all the action is. Stonecliffe offers many amenities without the hustle and bustle and yet is just a few minutes walk or carriage ride to town. The mansioin itself is beautiful and full of history. The grounds are huge (I'm talking football field large) both front and back with much room for families to play together. We stayed in the large, well-appointed, and recently remodeled Mackinac room which overlooks the back of the property and the Mackinac Bridge. The employees are friendly and helpful from the manager to the front desk help and even the bar tender. We enjoyed dinner on the patio that overlooks the bridge and had a beautiful breakfast in the morning. A big thank you to Stephanie, Hugh, and Andrew for making our stay memorable!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Mackinac Room but I understand the room on the other end of the same level is a good...
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We recently stayed at Stonecliffe for my first trip to the island. We stayed in a Bridgeview Room. There was a standard sized window, which did have a very nice view of the bridge, as advertised. However, you do have to walk right up to it to see out, and the screen was detached at the bottom, so we had a few bugs. It was a warm, sunny day in August, (I think the high was 80 that day), and, although it dropped to around 60 degrees that night, our room never cooled, despite the ceiling and box fans provided. My guess is that, since this room style is on the third floor, faces west, and only has one window, this is a common problem. The room itself was nice, with good bedding and high-end furniture, but the TV was the size of a computer monitor and mounted on the wall 10' away from the bed (why bother?), and the bathroom seemed like a total afterthought - linoleum tile, dim lighting, woodwork didn't fit up well, etc. Just a slight increase in attention to detail could elevate the Inn from a nice place to stay to a place you dream about returning.

If you have never been to the island, it can be a smelly place. I grew up on a farm, so I'm no stranger to large animals. I was hoping this would be less of an issue at Stonecliffe since it was so remote, but, although the room was smell-free, we could definitely smell horse in the hallways and to the front of the building.

The location is both good and bad. It is the furthest hotel on the island from the ferries (which is right up my ally), but this means that you probably won't get to it/find it walking, at least not your first time. We used the shuttle once and a taxi once, and both were $7 one way. It is right next to The Woods restaurant, which came highly recommended by several people. Unfortunately, when I called in the afternoon (it was a Sunday and I didn't anticipate an issue with getting in anyplace), they didn't have any openings until 9:30pm. We then chose to go to the restaurant on the first floor of the hotel instead (Cudahy Chophouse). The entry was somewhat confusing, you check in with the hotel front desk. Although there were a ton of empty tables, they were somewhat put out by our not having a reservation. I'll write a separate review on the food/service. These are the only two nearby options for food, and they're not inexpensive, so if you were staying for several days, you'd need to plan to go into town quite often.

The grounds and the exterior of the Inn are absolutely the highlights. The view when you pull up is stunning, with the mansion set back into a manicured woods. The back has a long grass slope providing unobstructed views of the lake and the bridge. There are games available (hillbilly golf and badminton were the two I noticed) and the kids seemed to love it. The back patio was a beautiful place to enjoy breakfast or dinner. Breakfast is included with the room and is buffet style with eggs, sausage, French toast, oatmeal, several types of juice, coffee, etc. The selection reminded me of a Hampton or HI, only done in a real kitchen.

I did a pretty exhaustive search of accommodations on the island, and, even with all the negatives, I still feel like this was a good value for money.

1 Thank FarmerGrrl
Chicago,IL
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed just one night but couldn't have been more pleased! We actually wished we planned another night or two! It was that relaxing. The distance from Main Street was the best part, so quiet, so dark, sitting out in the lawn looking at the stars.......awesome! 15-20 min walk and you were right in the middle of town. The bed was awesome, the linens were high end. Definitely would return to the Inn!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple