“Great Stay”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Toledo, Ohio
“Great Stay”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband stayed at the Inn at Stonecliffe the last week in August and had a great time. I chose this hotel b/c my husband insisted on staying somewhere that had a pool. We stayed in the "summer house" which is off to the side of the mansion and is more modern and air conditioned. Our room was spacious and had a nice view of the back of the propery, the lake and the Mackinac Bridge. It is a little ways from town which we thought was not going to be a big deal as we brought our bikes and expected to be biking a lot. What I didnt expect was the steep hill in front of the Grand Hotel that we had to walk our bikes up to get to where we were staying. Going down the hill was big fun, going up not so much. So I guess we got our exercise!! My only regret is that I didnt browse around the property more. The back yard had chairs facing the lake and a wooded area as well as a beautiful porch to relax on. The breakfast buffet in the morning was small but sufficient usually eggs, sausage, waffles, and danishes, which were all very good. Maybe some cut up melon and berries would have been nice instead of grapes and bananas in a bowl?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank katherine m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Minneapolis MN
Reviewed September 3, 2012

First off this property is not anywhere near the downtown area - be prepared to pay (and wait) for cab rides if you are not into bike riding. Walking is possible but you better be an avid walker!

As you leave all the hustle and bustle of what is Mackinac Island in the summer and head out past the Grand Hotel into the serene woods of the island and all you begin to hear is the sound of your bicycle or the horses trotting along you know you must be on the right path.

The mansion appears out of the woods like something out of a fairy tale - the lawn and shrubs trimmed precisely, flowers vividly blowing in the gentle breeze coming from across the lake. The circular drive brings you around the front lawn to the front entrance of the mansion.

Inside the mansion has been immaculately kept with tons of beautiful wood work you are transported back in time. Through the back windows is an amazing view of the straits and the Mackinac Bridge - with one of the best views of the sunset on the island.

Check- in was smooth; room was clean and ready no issues excellent.

The mansion has several different types of rooms the mansion itself has NO AC but the great thing is this is disclosed well in advance of booking NOT on arrival. If you would like AC as I did after several days of being on the island at another property and not having the option to have it ( it is actually quite wonderful to not have the AC humming all the time) we choose to stay in the Summer House which is quite new.

The Summer House is stunning accommodations with everything being very recent and having all the little luxuries that make a trip just a little nicer including: NFC door looks ( tap your card and wahla), fridge in the suite, with mini bar, private deck with sliding french style doors, true queen beds, etc. Accommodations here exceed the quality you see in many newer hotels that are open year round.

Pool hours are short with close time at 8? Kind of a bummer when you get back late after a bike ride and just feel like relaxing.

The thing about this place that drove me mental was the staff and the use of the words no, can't, and not sure. When I am spending $250 a night to stay at a property I don't expect to be hounded with rules unless I am causing another guest to enjoy there visit. I am not a child and do not need to have you explain rules to me.

Dinner first night - no one bothered to inform us that even as guests at the property (in the back woods) that we would need reservations and were told they were full sorry. We ended up eating in the bar which is fine but as I stated I am not used to being at a property of this class and being told sorry we cant.

Second night - apparently they have artist night with a bunch of folks from the island that come out the property and the staffs obvious priority was serving them, regardless of the fact that I was a paying guest at their property. While sitting at the bar I where we were told to order food to go for my son back in the room we were told "we arent really taking to go orders because we are so busy". Having worked in the hospitality industry and staying at as many properties as I have I nearly fell off my seat. Admittedly I muttered some expletives between sips of my drinks and the food got ordered.

Now as far as the food quality - your not going to find better on the island absolutely amazing. Expensive yes but VERY well worth every single dollar. Even the breakfast buffet in the mornings was first class - not a ton of options but few very well done.

Would I stay here again? Yes - despite the obvious need for management to train SOME of their staff on how to properly speak to and handle guests I would. The mansion offers a stunning yet tranquil place to relax that is very hard to find anywhere else in the country let alone the island.

Room Tip: For AC book a room in the summer house. For best lake views book in the mansion.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank David M
marquette
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at the mansion for 2 nights at the end of July. We picked week days so we wouldn't have to deal with a "wedding" but quess what? There was one which leaves you not able to access the big covered porticole porch in the evening which I always enjoyed in the summer time. On the second night there was live music and we thought thr would be great too but quess what? The place was overrun with "local" and once again we had no place to sit and really felt like we were crashing someone's garden party as tolerated outsiders. There isn't much to do out there in the evenings so if ypu don't have access to the place there isn't much to do but sit in your room. Half the staff were fantastic the other half were just the opposite. It would have been vey helpful if the front desk would have shared more information as well. We had to figure everything out ourselves. I have enjoyed it here in the past but they have dropped the ball.

• Stayed July 2012
17 Thank kbing53
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I decided to spend a couple days right after our wedding on Mackinac Island as a sort of mini honeymoon. We stayed at Stonecliffe all 3 nights we were there and had a fantastic time. It is set farther away from all the hustle and bustle of town so it was a peaceful place to rest and recharge before seeing all the sites. Our first night there we got upgraded to one of the nicer rooms because there was a malfunctioning smoke detector that wouldn't stop beeping right outside our room and we got to spend the rest of the trip in the upgraded room! Staff was very helpful and accommodating, they even gave us tips on the best places to go and how to get there from the hotel! Would recommend this hotel to anyone staying on the island.

Room Tip: There's no air conditioning, but they provide fans in each room on top of a ceiling fan. Would r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ryanforrest
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The main house is an old mansion, and the rooms are lovely, The rooms with a harbor view cost more, but tree top views from the others are equally serene. The back porch and back yard offer lovely places to just sit and relax. The breakfasts were lovely, especially when enjoyed out doors. Walk to the far end of the back yard and you are on your own planet, just you and the gulls, the grass and the trees.

While not related to the hotel, the best choice I made during my trip was a bicycle ride around the outer edge of the island. It was lovely and not difficult, as the route is relatively level. It is 8 miles, and there are restrooms at about the half way point. Take a camera and a water bottle.

There was a wedding at Stonecliffe on the Saturday of my stay, and I understand that this is usually true. That meant a party tent with a band, so that music (or noise, depending on your taste) filled the house and grounds until 10 pm. Zoning ordinances require quiet after 10. Plan accordingly.

Room Tip: Reserve early and get a cheap room in the main house. The cheaper rooms have lovely views, just...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Libertyville
Reviewed August 9, 2012

.......if you don;t want to be in the middle of all the hub-bub in town. The Manor house is a truly unique experience, provided it is not too hot. (na A/C). Look for rate deals online or by subscribing to their email newsletter. Best rates and experiences are when things are a little slower.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
chicago
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here for one night. The low rating of my review is mostly a function of a discrepancy for me between the cost of staying here compared to other properties and the services and amenities provided. That relationship was off for me. I felt the actual historical part of the Inn is very beautiful. The setting is stunning. I liked the fact that it was far out of town, but could see how this might be an issue if you stay for several days as the cost of transportation one-way to town is $ 6.75. We actually had the boat and buggy package which included one roundtrip buggy ride and the ferry roundtrip. I liked that the hotel is in walking distance to the Woods Restaurant where we had a wonderful meal. I did not care that much for our room. We stayed in the summer house (which provides AC) which is in a new annex. I had hoped for a king size room which we did not get due to a misunderstanding. I tried to speak with a desk person about this, but did not get far as the hotel was fully booked. This somewhat ruined my trip. Not so much that the room was not available, but how it was handled. No sense about the hotel trying to do anything about my disappointment. I actually thought that the woman who handled the issue was cold and unfriendly and more preoccupied with a wedding that was being handled. That is actually another concern. The weekend we were there, there were three different weddings (one each day). This seems to take over the inn which can be annoying. I was glad I could not hear anything at night (weddings have to be shut down by around 10:30 PM because of noise ordinances). The room we stayed in in the summer house came with two queen beds. It was a large suite with separate sitting area and a little wet bar with fridge. Balcony with somewhat of a lake view. I felt the decor was more akin to a Holiday Inn than a fancy manor hotel. The amenities were very basic. The bathroom looked like a Holiday Inn bathroom and was basic. TV in the room was small and an old-fashioned chunky box. The room was very clean, but not very personal and by no means what I would consider luxurious. (We stayed in a bed and breakfast in the area (on the mainland) that was half the price and was truly luxurious including fireplace and jacuzzi) and in a beautiful mansion). We also had some trouble with the ferry and buggy package because we ended up on the wrong ferry company and so they had no booking for us and we had to pay $ 45.00 for the ferry which was to be reimbursed by the Inn. The woman at the desk offered to reimburse us $ 40.00 because they have a special rate with the other ferry company that we were supposed to take. I appreciated their reimbursing most of the cost, but felt frustrated about how the interaction was handled. Of course, it was our fault that we took the wrong ferry, but this was not as obvious as the Innkeeper tried to make it. If you have this package and plan to board in Mackinaw City, better ascertain you are at the right ferry dock. We did not see the ferry we were supposed to take adequately signed and thus ended up at the wrong dock. Since the boat left at the same time and since the dock staff had ready-made Stonecliff luggage tags, I had wrongly assumed I was on the correct ferry. It was quite annoying. I liked the fact that the Inn had breakfast included. But the breakfast was pretty basic. Scrambeled eggs (with and without mushrooms), potatoes, sausage, bagels, cereal, yoghurt, and fresh fruit (not cut up). I have to admit - better than nothing, but then again given the price of the hotel one might expect just a little more. Not sure about the restaurant at the INN. Did not have a meal there. Was looking to have a drink at the Inn, but the bar did not open until 5:00 PM. Tried to check out a little later than 11:00 AM, the next morning. The response was simply a "No" without any attempt at saying "Sorry, it is not possible." These are just little concerns, but a hotel that charges what this inn charges should have a better customer service experience. Another concern was room noise in the annex. We stayed in room 2208 and could hear everything from the room above. The floors were creaking when they walked upstairs (no sure why as this is a new construction) and there was a terrible rattling sound coming from the AC grates in the ceiling whenever the person upstairs walked in that area. This woke us up in the morning. Walls seems to be quite thin here. Finally, another thing that left a bad taste for me was the buggy driver. We had just arrived on the island and explained that we were on a package and the ride was included (we did not have the coupons). There were other people in our buggy with similar arrangement. All the buggy driver could do was complain that now he had to wait for us to get the coupon once we arrive at the inn. He was not a hotel staff and so this is not the Inn's fault, but I felt that Mackinaw Island Tourism could do a better job at training their staff for tourism so not to present to toursist as grumpy and inconvenienced.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple