“A beautiful Inn - but a mixed bag”

The Inn at Stonecliffe
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here for one night. The low rating of my review is mostly a function of a discrepancy for me between the cost of staying here compared to other properties and the services and amenities provided. That relationship was off for me. I felt the actual historical part of the Inn is very beautiful. The setting is stunning. I liked the fact that it was far out of town, but could see how this might be an issue if you stay for several days as the cost of transportation one-way to town is $ 6.75. We actually had the boat and buggy package which included one roundtrip buggy ride and the ferry roundtrip. I liked that the hotel is in walking distance to the Woods Restaurant where we had a wonderful meal. I did not care that much for our room. We stayed in the summer house (which provides AC) which is in a new annex. I had hoped for a king size room which we did not get due to a misunderstanding. I tried to speak with a desk person about this, but did not get far as the hotel was fully booked. This somewhat ruined my trip. Not so much that the room was not available, but how it was handled. No sense about the hotel trying to do anything about my disappointment. I actually thought that the woman who handled the issue was cold and unfriendly and more preoccupied with a wedding that was being handled. That is actually another concern. The weekend we were there, there were three different weddings (one each day). This seems to take over the inn which can be annoying. I was glad I could not hear anything at night (weddings have to be shut down by around 10:30 PM because of noise ordinances). The room we stayed in in the summer house came with two queen beds. It was a large suite with separate sitting area and a little wet bar with fridge. Balcony with somewhat of a lake view. I felt the decor was more akin to a Holiday Inn than a fancy manor hotel. The amenities were very basic. The bathroom looked like a Holiday Inn bathroom and was basic. TV in the room was small and an old-fashioned chunky box. The room was very clean, but not very personal and by no means what I would consider luxurious. (We stayed in a bed and breakfast in the area (on the mainland) that was half the price and was truly luxurious including fireplace and jacuzzi) and in a beautiful mansion). We also had some trouble with the ferry and buggy package because we ended up on the wrong ferry company and so they had no booking for us and we had to pay $ 45.00 for the ferry which was to be reimbursed by the Inn. The woman at the desk offered to reimburse us $ 40.00 because they have a special rate with the other ferry company that we were supposed to take. I appreciated their reimbursing most of the cost, but felt frustrated about how the interaction was handled. Of course, it was our fault that we took the wrong ferry, but this was not as obvious as the Innkeeper tried to make it. If you have this package and plan to board in Mackinaw City, better ascertain you are at the right ferry dock. We did not see the ferry we were supposed to take adequately signed and thus ended up at the wrong dock. Since the boat left at the same time and since the dock staff had ready-made Stonecliff luggage tags, I had wrongly assumed I was on the correct ferry. It was quite annoying. I liked the fact that the Inn had breakfast included. But the breakfast was pretty basic. Scrambeled eggs (with and without mushrooms), potatoes, sausage, bagels, cereal, yoghurt, and fresh fruit (not cut up). I have to admit - better than nothing, but then again given the price of the hotel one might expect just a little more. Not sure about the restaurant at the INN. Did not have a meal there. Was looking to have a drink at the Inn, but the bar did not open until 5:00 PM. Tried to check out a little later than 11:00 AM, the next morning. The response was simply a "No" without any attempt at saying "Sorry, it is not possible." These are just little concerns, but a hotel that charges what this inn charges should have a better customer service experience. Another concern was room noise in the annex. We stayed in room 2208 and could hear everything from the room above. The floors were creaking when they walked upstairs (no sure why as this is a new construction) and there was a terrible rattling sound coming from the AC grates in the ceiling whenever the person upstairs walked in that area. This woke us up in the morning. Walls seems to be quite thin here. Finally, another thing that left a bad taste for me was the buggy driver. We had just arrived on the island and explained that we were on a package and the ride was included (we did not have the coupons). There were other people in our buggy with similar arrangement. All the buggy driver could do was complain that now he had to wait for us to get the coupon once we arrive at the inn. He was not a hotel staff and so this is not the Inn's fault, but I felt that Mackinaw Island Tourism could do a better job at training their staff for tourism so not to present to toursist as grumpy and inconvenienced.

4  Thank danielswiss64
There are newer reviews for The Inn at Stonecliffe

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Just came back from this Inn - the accomodations were outstanding - perfect view of the Mackinaw Bridge from our room. Off of the beaten path and away from the hoards of visitors but close enough to town to take a horse drawn carriage, hop on a bike or even just walk to town. Breakfast buffet was perfect, but the dinners are the crowning glory of the place. Had the most outstanding salmon, my husband, the fillet. The Chef there is awesome, although ALL of the staff there is awesome - the most helpful hotel staff I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I would stay here before the Grand Hotel anyday.

Room Tip: Stay in the main Manor for a old fashion, antique experience or in the more modern, newer cottages j...
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

We have on the island before and decided to try a hotel farther away from the downtown area. The rooms were spacious and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Stonecliffe's charm matched the relaxed atmosphere of the Island. Town is only 1.5 miles. A pleasant walk or bike ride.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank vkaid
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We loved our 24 hours at this inn. We were impressed that our luggage was checked at the ferry in Mackinaw City and sent directly on to the inn. We could have taken a carriage but instead chose to walk from town, up the Pontiac trail alongside beautiful old "cottages" and up the bluff to the inn. Trails meander through the woods and you feel lost in time as you hear the clip-clop of horses wafting through the air. The inn has beautiful grounds and a nice pool. We rented bicycles for a wonderful ride along the bikes only "highway" that circles the whole island and enjoyed exploring the trails around the inn. We had an excellent dinner in the dining room and enjoyed the breakfast buffet on the patio. The staff was friendly and helpful. The inn is secluded so people looking for nightlife or touristy attractions should stay elsewhere. If you are looking for a serene, beautiful place to relax, this is it.

Room Tip: The Cudahy room has huge windows on two walls and you can see the Straits of Mackinaw while you are...
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed in June, 2012. Beautiful setting and a choice of older, quaint rooms or very new rooms with balcony with table and chairs, fridge, dishes, microwave and very very clean! Food in the restaurant was pretty good but the staff were amazing. You could rent bikes at the Inn or they would call for a horse drawn carriage to take you to town. Was within walking distance down a dirt road from the airport. Seemed like we were in the middle of nowhere but we could see part of the bridge from our room. Have reflected about this place many times since staying there. We have never paid that much for a hotel room so it will probably be a little while before we do that again. It was a very unique experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you want seclusion, your all set. We were there for a wedding. No where to go for a drink except their tiny bar. And that closes at 10 p.m. and then off to bed you have to go, unless you want to take a carriage ride downtown. Bartender made our stay FUN!! for the short time he could.
Manor rooms are more than a step back in time, its like staying in Aunt Clara's closet! If you want anything resort feeling you will pay for it.
I wouldn't go back, its too far from the downtown area and has NOTHING around it.........

Room Tip: Stay in the newer sections!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I LOVED our stay at the Stonecliffe! I really wanted to stay in the old mansion/castle, but found myself outnumbered by my husband and kids (they wanted air and a television), so we stayed in the more modern summer house. The grounds and view of the bridge was fantastic and if you venture out the back lawn, down a little trail, you will find yourself on a beautiful bluff to watch the sunset in the evening. Breakfast in the main house everyday was very good and you could eat inside or out.

Pros with kids - Swimming pool and large lawn for them to run and burn off energy.

Cons with kids - LONG journey into town, so trips often had to be planned in advance - you weren't just going to pick up "evening" snacks quick. The trip into town wasn't bad (downhill), it was the return that left you exhausted. My 9-year old walked his bike up the hill...

Overall, it was a great stay and an enjoyable trip. I will definitely be back, but after touring the main house, I will stay there instead (and maybe leave the kids at home).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family