“Pleasantly Surprised” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 1852 Grill Room

1852 Grill Room
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The 1852 Grill Room welcomes you for breakfast and dinner in a casual fine dining atmosphere with stunning view of the Straits of Mackinac. Featuring outdoor terrace seating and lounge for your enjoyment. Located inside the Island House Hotel.
Northville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pleasantly Surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

The food and service was great. I was a little apprehensive given the ranking. I had the roasted chicken and my husband had the crab cake (really nice size). Great view from restaurant.

MO
“Eat here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Nice view from the dining room and outdoor seating (except when the special event tent is set up). Wait staff shares the Mackinac Island apparent need for refinement beyond adequate. The whitefish preparation was excellent with a nice, fresh salad. The crab cake was, in my opinion, the best on earth. With a diverse menu available, I can only dream of my return.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cte39794
Marco Island, Florida
“Best piano lounge I've visited in years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Although we were part of a small group of five couples, we broke off from them one evening for a light dinner in the bar at the Island House Hotel. Wow!!! What a great decision. The staff recommended several light dining options and worked with us for a slow paced, and very romantic, evening. But, the unquestioned highlight of our entire visit to Mackinac was the wonderful performance by the restaurant piano player. We thought we were in NYC at a high-end 5-star restaurant. I believe he was visually impaired to some degree, but that didn't affect his musical talents. He would have made Interlochen or Julliard proud. He readily accepted a couple of our song requests, and continued to impress the entire restaurant all evening. My wife has suggested we plan another trip to Mackinac just to listen to him for another romantic dinner.

Somerset, Kentucky
“Waitress purposely touches steak with palm of her hand”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We could not find a place to post a review on the "1852 Grill Room" at the Island House Hotel so I want to post it here. On June 26, 2013 we ate at the 1852 Grill Room. For years we came to the island with our family and always had a wonderful meal at "The Governor's Room" which is the former name of the 1852 Grill Room. This was a special trip with all three of our children and all of our grandchildren and a friend. The evening was ruined by our waitress. She came to our table with and an "attitude" and then got upset when my daughter sent her chopped salad back because it had the wrong dressing on it. When she brought our steaks the plates were covered with silver covers and she took the cover off of each plate and served each plate to us. When she got to my daughter's plate she took off the cover and purposely touch the steak with her whole palm and then served it to my daughter then got upset when my daughter switched steaks with another person in our party asking, "Why are you switching steaks?" I mentioned it to another waitress who already knew about it so I knew our waitress had been telling her friends about it. I complained to the manager but all he said was "I am sorry you had this experience and I hope the rest of your vacation is better".

3 Thank Reva W