“The Original”

May's Candy Shop
Ranked #8 of 10 Dessert in Mackinac Island
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The oldest, family operated fudge shop in the USA, with 6 Generations of candy makers! The only place that has the Famous Mackinac Fudge® on Mackinac Island, Michigan! Stop by and try a free sample!
Florissant, Missouri, USA
“The Original”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

This place looks the part and lives up to its billing. I felt like I was going back in time walking into the shop. This is in a building (with several other shops) that is visited on the carriage tour (which I also recommend). The lady that helped us was very accommodating and friendly. She gave us a good deal on the fudge. We bought several boxes. Tasty stuff. I nursed mine for weeks afterwards. Hey, you can't come to Mackinac Island and not get some of that famous fudge!

• Visited June 2014

Phoenix, Arizona
“Best fudge on the island”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I first had fudge at May's 52 years ago and the quality has been top notch ever since. These people still make their fudge with the same quality ingredients. And the "Monsters" - you can't get them anywhere else and they will make you want to return to the island just to get them. I am not a peanut brittle lover but my friends say it is great and try to convince me that I am really missing something. If you need anything special just talk to Lee and he will do his best to accommodate you. This family has been making fudge for more years than I have been alive (and that is quite a while) and it shows in the pride they take in turning out a quality product. Decadent and delicious.

• Visited August 2014
St. Louis
“Just another fudge shop”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

They all look the same. Too bad they couldn't distinguish themselves from the others. We sampled the fudge at several fudge shops on the island....in my opinion they all tasted the same. Average fudge at exorbitant prices (even though they try to make it seem like a deal...buy 4 get 1 free!) And there is a fudge shop about every three doors on Main St.

Visited June 2014
Rochester Hills, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome fudge!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

lot's of choices for fudge. Go to May's first! Everyone very friendly. They will sample anything you want before you buy.

• Visited June 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
“Best Fudge and Peanut Brittle!!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We've been buying fudge and peanut brittle at May's for as long as I can remember - it's always the best!

Visited June 2014