“Bait and Switch.”
Review of May's Candy Shop

May's Candy Shop
Ranked #8 of 10 Dessert in Mackinac Island
Description: The oldest, family operated fudge shop in the USA, with 6 Generations of candy makers! The only place that has the Famous Mackinac Fudge® on Mackinac Island, Michigan! Stop by and try a free sample!
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We stopped to try samples of May's Fudge. The samples they gave us were moist a delicious. The fudge we got when we bought were dry and not as tasty. Old bait and switch trick. We stopped by Joann's fudge after for samples. Wished we went Joann's first. My far a more moist and flavorful fudge. And more store appeal too.

MidniteFox03, Manager at May's Candy Shop, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

I apologize that your fudge was not what you expected. We always keep our fudge creamy and smooth. If you have any problems with your candy we are happy to exchange it. Since your review post, I've been personally checking our fudge to make sure it meets customer's expectations!

Thank you for your review since we always strive to improve our candy shop. If you have any other suggestions, please email us at mayscandyshop@yahoo.com

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I am partial to vanilla and maple but the chocolate is top quality also. This is not like the fudge you buy in most stores, it is quality ingredients made the traditional way. No ingredients you can't pronounce and have never heard of. The prices at May's are as good or better than the other shops and while $13 may seem like a lot, with the one slice free you get about a pound and a half for your money. The "Monsters" are really good and worth a trip all by themselves.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We get our fudge at Joannes but love May's Monster and English Toffee. Buy that there every year. What is a Monster - well they only sell Monster's at May's - it is a huge turtle candy - big piece of carmel about 6 inches in diameter covered in pecans and chocolate. First thing I get each year when I got off the ferry to the island! We take it on our walk of bike ride and it lasts all day long.

1  Thank Love2Travel100
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Enjoyed the fudge and they made it easy to send some to our grandchildren. They have been making fudge since 1881

1  Thank LoLoPhilly
Reviewed August 19, 2013

They were advertising Amaretto fudge as featured flavor, couldn't wait to get to the island to get some of this flavor, lo and behold the first May's we came to they were "out" of it. That's all I was told, no explanation if they were getting more in etc. The girl who waited on me was extremely rude so we left. Found another May's and same thing, "they were out" of this flavor. I say if you are going to have a featured flavor and advertise it, make enough every day to keep that flavor in stock........I went across the street to Ryba's and bought some fudge from them.

I apologize that we did not have the Amaretto fudge available at the time. Some flavors are very popular and being a small business, we do run out of flavors fast. I'd be happy to resolve this if you can email us at mayscandyshop@yahoo.com.