“Great Lunch Place”
Review of The Jockey Club

The Jockey Club
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located on the first tee of The Jewel, with a menu featuring sandwiches, soup and salad for luncheon daily. A complete menu is also available for dinner. Guests can enjoy this casual dining locale as an alternative to dinner in the Main Dining Room. Golfers, please call ahead to order box lunches to enjoy during your round.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Recently, I had a wonderful lunch at The Jockey Club. The setting is idyllic overlooking the Grand Hotel golf course and downtown Mackinac Island. I enjoyed the Whitefish Sandwich which had two whitefish filets severed on ciabatta with a jalapeno aioli. My wife enjoyed the Beef Burger served with applewood bacon, cheddar and a red onion jam. For a four dollar up-charge house made truffle French fries can be added to any sandwich-very savory. Service was good to excellent. Finally, prices were quite reasonable for the quality of food and the wonderful setting. A great lunch place!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We always visit the Jockey Club when on the Island. Great food and service. Fantastic Bloody Marys. Always a very interesting menu.

1  Thank Mullettlk
Reviewed August 2, 2013

After touring the hotel and seeing the long line to be seated for the Grand Buffet we opted for the Jockey Club as it was a beautiful day. There were three options offered us for seating, inside, outside covered or just plain outside. We opted for the outside so we could sit along the golf course. In fact watched several players tee off as well as one of the putting greens. The BLT was $14.95. Served with fries and added a glass of tea. My wife ordered a grilled chicken breast on a croissant. It was delicious.With tips and taxes our lunch approached the $45 level. Still not all much for a priceless setting an excellent service. We were even joined by one sea gull that came repeatedly to the table. The waiter though cautioned us about feeding that "fellow". The truth is we ignored that "caution" and the sea gull left after lunch overstuffed with french fries. He no doubt had one of his best days ever. The BLT was loaded with bacon, lots of lettuce and so many tomatoes they kept falling off the delicious bread.

1  Thank texaswillie
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I've had dinner at the Jockey Club two years in a row while visiting Mackinac, and have had virtually the same experience both times.
First of all, the scenery and decor are absolutely lovely. The seating is outdoors, right on the golf course. The dress code ranges from suit and tie to resort casual.
The service is actually quite good, better than that at the Cupola or at Mission Point (all of which employ mostly Jamaicans in their food service positions). My only complaint with service was that this year when I ordered hot tea after dinner I got English Breakfast tea, last year I was offered a tea box with many selections. The tea, incidentally, is a wonderful brand called Harvey & Sons. The server this year said they only have English Breakfast, chamomile and Lipton. But all in all, very attentive service.
The problem is, and this was the problem last year too, all the food is delicious, except the entree. The hummus appetizer was wonderful, the hummus served in a small mason jar. The Caesar salad was delightful, served in a Parmesan molded basket. The pecan ice cream desert is fantastic, served on a chilled pewter plate. But the whitefish, served on some bamboo paper, was dry and overlooked. It was served with sweet potato gnocchi, which was also dry. The vegetables were nicely al dente, however.
I remember having the same thoughts about the whitefish entree I had last year.
In talking to another guest at our hotel who had eaten at the Jockey Club the night before I, I found that he also had a similar experience, but with a different entree.
It's still one of the best places for a nice meal on the island, but there is room for improvement.

1  Thank KBeas
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Lunch at the Jockey Club was a highlight of our day on the island! Such a beautiful setting along the golf course and didn't need to pay admission to the Grand Hotel. Top-notch service and delicious food (I had the blackened whitefish sandwich). Enjoyed the splendor of the Grand Hotel and felt comfortable with our two young kids there.