“Gorgeous”

The Jewel at the Grand Hotel
More attraction details
Owner description: The Jewel is one of the most unique courses in the United States. Enjoy unparalleled scenic beauty, lush landscaping and meticulously manicured tees, fairways and greens. The Grand nine is located across the street from the hotel, with views of Lake Huron and Round Island. The Woods nine is set in the interior of Mackinac Island, with views of the Mackinac Bridge and the Upper Peninsula.After completing the Grand nine, you and your clubs will be transported via horse-drawn carriage a mile and a half to the Woods nine. The leisurely 15-minute ride includes parts of the island unseen by many visitors.The Grand nine was built in 1901 and redesigned in 1987 by golf course architect Jerry Matthews. He also designed the Woods nine, added in 1994. Jason Horricks, a PGA Certified Instructor, is available for private lessons. The Jewel is open to the public. Rental clubs, golf carts and pull carts are available.
Crown Point, Indiana, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gorgeous”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

It was an absolutely beautiful course. The first 9 holes are completely different from the second 9, but that added to our enjoyment.

Visited May 2014

Tallahassee
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Fun golf, with a horse cart ride”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This is a very scenic and well-maintained course and not overly challenging, which suited us. A leisurely, enjoyable horse cart takes you from the front to the back nine--unique!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Frances W
Livonia, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I could hardly keep my eye on the ball while playing nine holes at the Jewell. Almost every hole has a beautiful view of the Straits of Mackinac.
The course is short which is fine with me, but challenging enough for my husband too. We played the front nine twice. We couldn't play just the back nine due to the inability to schedule the horse drawn transfer at the turn. But, I heard the back is even more beautiful than the front.
The rounds were included in our package but I would have paid for the experience.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank SeadooSue
St. Charles, MO
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Grand Indeed”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Well, of course, we went to the Grand Hotel. It actually costs $10.00 per person to visit the beauty. It was worth the price to see this magnificent hotel from the years go bye.
We spent a bit of time there just taking in the view and the surroundings. Very interesting group of people present at the time we were there. Even Santa Claus was there. Yes, a man dressed in all red with a beautiful long grey beard and walking stick. He posed with tons of people, I guess there are believers!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Dick P
Bay City, Michigan
492 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,384 helpful votes
“Beautiful course.....”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My friend and I went golfing on the Jewel as part of our fall Grand Hotel package. The golf came with the package, but cart rental is $20. My friend is the golfer and she told me her thoughts on this course. It is a beautiful course with wonderful views and we both enjoyed it very much. I drove the cart and that was lots of fun for me, since I am in no way a golfer by any means. The employees were very friendly, helpful and served their customers well.

The fairways are short, and the greens are small and a bit tight, however, they add to the challenge of playing this course. The course is very well manicured. We heard from others that the back 9 is nicer to play, as the fairways are longer, but not by much. The views are wonderful from that course, also overheard from other players.

I did ask and you do not have to play the front 9 first, as some courses require. You can go right to the back 9 and start playing. There is a horse and carriage ride to the back 9, and I believe it takes about 20 minutes to reach the "Woods" course. The only negative we saw is the additional $20 for another cart rental. And that is for one person! So, in other words, we may have gotten the golf fee as part of our package, but cart rental, could have been $80 for playing both 9's. And they do charge for someone not playing golf, just to ride in the cart---however, I was told on the phone and in person, that some employees charge for this and some do not-so I guess it is the luck of the draw. I did not have to pay to ride in the cart. :) !! We chose not to play the back 9 because of timing.

They took great care of the clubs and made sure they were tagged and ready to go on the luggage carriage back to the docks as soon as our game was finished.

The clubhouse has bathrooms, plenty of seating for guests to rest, and nice items for sale for a hefty price. The beverage cart had a variety of items to drink, even hot chocolate on the chilly morning we played the course. Great idea!

Very happy with our visit to the Jewel!

Visited September 2013