“Family Gathering”
Review of Murray Hotel

Murray Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I booked a room at the Murray for myself and my 3 grandchildren. I am a fan of the older hotels that have character, and the Murray did not disappoint. The room was comfortable and beautiful.
We had the breakfast bar and liked it very much. The only problem I had was that they wanted me to leave my luggage in the room and go to the ferry and they would bring the luggage. Sorry, I am not that trusting. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank dhinkley66
MurrayHotelMI, Manager at Murray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We're glad you enjoyed the older charm of our hotel and our breakfast bar. We completely understand not wanting to be separated from your luggage, but we're happy that, overall, you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again real soon!

There are newer reviews for Murray Hotel

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel a few different times. It's location couldn't be better. Right downtown across from the Arnold Dock. The Large hot tub or tiny pool, is located on the roof and well maintained. The rooms are tiny. The fudge shop is located in the lobby which makes for a quick sample each time you pass by. The only downfall was the musty smell in our room. I will be back again!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paintapot
MurrayHotelMI, Manager at Murray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We're glad you enjoyed our pool area and our fudge! We apologize for the musty smell in your room; we'll do a comprehensive overview of our rooms to make sure this doesn't happen again in the future. Thank you again for your kind words, and we hope to see you again real soon!

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

We had such a nice visit there! The weather was perfect and the people at the Murray are all so nice. They have great breakfasts and wonderful donuts. We also bought some of their fudge and it was amazing. Very nice rooms and a hot tub!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank HGRguitar
MurrayHotelMI, Manager at Murray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We're very happy you enjoyed your stay, and also very happy you enjoyed the donuts and fudge! We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I stayed at the Murray for three nights unexpectedly as I was waiting for a special procedure on my dog at MSU. Touring around Michigan was boring, so I came to Mackinac where I summered in our family cottage for 28 years. I haven't been back for 20 years. I was delighted the staff at the hotel arranged a darling little historic room for me, It reminded me of our big cottage, horses trotting, listeneing to people having fun in the park, hearing the fog horns blowing and ferry horns. The price was great, the experience memorable and very fair prices for food compared to the over priced options around town. If you want to experience a fun old fashioned hotel in the middle of it all, you will be happy to put up with small rooms, and historic features of an old hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Changeabit
MurrayHotelMI, Manager at Murray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We've shared your review with our staff, as they are always happy to hear such nice words. We're happy you enjoyed your stay, and we truly hope to see you again!

Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

The place was so nice. The staff was so helpful. It's right across the street from getting off the ferry (very convenient) the next day when we checked out they let us store our luggage there so we can walk around
the island. Will definitely stay there again on our next visit

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank julieannsilvernail

Thank you so much for your review, and we've also shared your review with our staff. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at the Murray Hotel on Saturday, October 19, which turned out to be the last night they are open for the season. The check in was good - when I told the clerk I had a reservation, she asked if it was for "Smith". I said Yes! It appeared they were waiting for us and we were the last to check in. The room was not as small as some other reviews indicate. There was a queen bed, a couple of chairs and the TV stand. It was room 312 which has a harbor view. The bathroom was clean and roomy and the bed was comfortable. My only issue was the street noise - people laughing loudly outside and of course the clomping of the horses hooves - which you have to expect on Mackinac Island! Next time I will ask for a room toward the back of the hotel since the "harbor view" was an obstructed view and not really worth the extra cost, which I did not pay since all the rooms were the same price for the last weekend of the season. The breakfast buffet in the morning was very nice. $8 was very reasonable since they had everything you might want - French toast, bacon, sausage, two kinds of potatoes, scrambled eggs, juice, three kinds of cereal, donuts, yogurt, coffee (decaf and regular) and tea. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a harbor view are right on the street which can be noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MaryKayOwosso
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hotel was not fancy, but provided a fun back-in-time feel with a great view over the harbor and main street. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our only regrets were not sampling the fudge available near the entrance and not bringing a swimsuit for the large roof/courtyard hot tub!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple