“Family Tradition on the Island” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Murray Hotel

Murray Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Phoenix, Arizona
“Family Tradition on the Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

My family and I make a trip Mackinac Island almost every summer. Staying at the Murray hotel is a staple. The staff is incredibly helpful. The rooms can be small however on the Island there is so much to do outside it doesn't bother us. There are food options within the hotel and nearby. We love this place and have many great summer vacation memories here. Fun fact: There is a picture of Hilary Clinton photoshopped into one of the photos in the lobby area...we always look for it, and get a chuckle out of it every time :-)

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Spartan621

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

The hotel makes you feel like you're back in time. I do find the rooms a bit clashed in their fabric choices and their wallpaper, but it adds to its old character. The staff was friendly. We were upgraded just because we were the first ones of the season to come (I think that's why). The room was basic. It was a nice stay. It's right by the Arnold Ferry, so it's right on main street and easy to get to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank desifoto
Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Our family of four stayed at the Murray Hotel last July for two nights. We had a corner room, which was a nice size, facing their courtyard area. We never heard any of the street noise. The beds were comfortable and the room clean. We did the breakfast buffet, which was nice because my boys are big eaters! But, what makes this hotel stand out is the staff! Everyone was nice, courteous and helpful!! Whenever we had a question, they took the time to answer. And we all loved the warm cookies at bedtime! If we ever make it back to Mackinac Island from Louisiana, we would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank cmdmom
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have not yet stayed in this hotel, but I did have the opportunity this year to enjoy the restaurant inside Amigo Burrito. The portion was huge, and really very good. I love Mexican food, and this was the real deal. Think I spent no more than $7, and probably had the best meal I'd had in days. The hotel is very pretty and offers a laid back atmosphere for dinning. One thing I did to entertain myself, other than devouring my burrito was reading the stenciled quotes on the walls. Murray Hotel also has the best fudge on the island as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank gbortner
Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Murray Hotel was right smack in the middle of town where everything was going on day and night. The employees were outstanding and are well trained in taking care of their guest on the spot. We did love the freshly baked cookies and the smell of fudge. What a place to stay especially on Mackinac Island in the summer. I would recommend this hotel because of location, service, and prices which were acceptable comparing other rates on the island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kalafffs
travelcat26
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have stayed on the island multiple times, but this was my first stay at the Murray. We made this reservation at the last minute. Therefore, the choice of hotels was limited. That being said, we were happy with our stay. The staff was very friendly, and chocolate chip cookies are delivered to the rooms every night. The room was dated and small, but nice and appeared fairly clean aside from the carpets . Also the bed was quite comfortable. When I say “small” I mean that there is barely room to walk around the bed, and the bathroom was the exact width of our shower stall. The sink was actually in the bedroom. So, if you like lounging around your room, be sure to upgrade to something with more space. My biggest issue with this hotel was the noise. BRING EARPLUGS! The walls are paper thin and there is a gap running around the door so light pours in from the hallway. You will hear everything. The first night there were some noisy people down the hall and I barely slept. I cannot comment on breakfast other than to say there is an additional charge, which is why we went elsewhere. We did not use the hot tub, but it looked very nice. All in all this would not be my first choice on the island. However, I would be willing to stay here again. It is a nice budget friendly hotel on Mackinac Island.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank travelcat26
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We gave stayed on the island several times but this was our first at the Murray Hotel and it won't be our last. We loved the charm of the 100 plus building. Our room was very clean as was the whole hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful. Truly feels like home away from home. Each night they come around with freshly made cookies to your door. In the lobby coffee/tea/hot chocolate served all day with donuts. Their fudge is the best and lots of different kinds. I loved the snickers and coconut the best. Looking forward to our next visit. Keep up the good work!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Island House Hotel
Island House Hotel
#6 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Murray Hotel? Share your experiences!