“Great location if you want to be in the busiest part of town”
Review of Lake View Hotel

Lake View Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My husband and two year old stayed here for two nights in early August. The hotel was nicely decorated, with samples of fudge upon check-in (yum!). We asked for early check in, and they were able to get us in an hour before the guaranteed check in time of 3pm. No problems getting our luggage from the ferry dock to the hotel or having it stored while we waited for our room. The front desk clerk even offered to store my husband's laptop behind the counter for safe-keeping. There are a line of white rocking chairs on the porch overlooking the main street, great for people watching, if you can snag one (they are open to anyone, including those not staying at the hotel). The location was perfect for being close to everything on the main drag, however after a day we grew tired of the throngs of day-trippers crowing the streets from 10am-6pm. If you walked a few blocks in either direction it thinned out, thankfully. We booked the cheapest room we could get (still pricey, but so is all of the Island). Our room was nicely sized, with a good size bathroom and tub, seating nook, and a view of one of the side streets. The hotel is in the process of replacing their room A/C units, so we had one sitting on the floor by the seating nook. At one point it stopped working so we called the front desk to send someone to fix it - the maintenance man was very friendly, explained and quickly fixed the problem (condensation build up), stating the issue would be permanently fixed once the units were installed in the windows. He showed us how to operate it (the remote was hidden in a drawer) and went on his way. The hotel has a nice indoor atrium with a pool and hot tub. The complimentary continental breakfast was nice but nothing special compared to other hotels that also include breakfast. The hotel enforces quiet hours from 10p-7a, and for the most part this worked great, however our last night there we had an extremely loud neighbor at 2-3am that kept us up. We did eat at the hotel restaurant, Goodfellows, to which I've written a separate review (overpriced for average food). All in all, given that every hotel on the Island is quite pricey and most do not include breakfast, this was a nice place to stay for the money. However, in general if we were to visit again we would likely stay on the mainland in St. Ignace or Mackinaw City, save the money and take a day trip in instead.

1  Thank travelerPatti
There are newer reviews for Lake View Hotel

Reviewed August 9, 2011

For $317.00 dollars I expected a little larger room..We where up in the attic with a small dormer window..But was very clean, very friendly staff and great porch with rocking chairs.Was very peaceful sitting on the porch after all the tourist where gone..Great continental breckfast..More then enough to get full...It was a great time there..But well have to save if I'm going to pay that much for a hotel room....

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Just finished a great 24 hour stay-over on Mackinac Island. We picked this hotel b/c of reviews that it was in the center of the town, convenient, clean, and more reasonably priced for our family of 5. The hotel is historic, although it doesn't 'feel' too much like that in the rooms. Everything is modernized, so you probably wouldn't really know the hotel is 150 years old without reading it. Beds are very comfortable. So, I'd recommend this hotel if you are looking for overnight accomodations, and not really an experience. Nothing is cheap (it's an island after all), and this hotel worked fine for our family. The room was quite small (called a 'deluxe'). The pool is in the atrium area, and looked just OK (as do most indoor pools), although very few were using it -- since it was in the mid 80's and sunny during our stay. The breakfast was basic continental with styrofoam cups -- like a Super 8, but OK for family/kids. If you are a couple without kids looking for more of a Mackinac experience in the hotel you pick, I'd suggest a B&B, or stay at the Grand hotel. Lake View is right on the several blocks where all the visitors are walking/shopping, etc., so there isn't a 'quiet' place to relax. The porch with the chairs is nice for people watching. Staff at the hotel was great -- very helpful and friendly. Bottom line is that I'd recommend this place, and especially for families on a budget. We looked at the Hotel Iroqoius (sp?) across the street, that is waterfront and really looks neat. We had lunch there -- a little bit pricey, but worth the experience and the setting is phenomenal. I'd probably go there if we weren't with kids.

1  Thank MarMel-n-kids
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We purchased the Family Package for 2 adults and 2 children. Everything about our stay was great. The staff was extremely friendly. We had a Deluxe Room with 2 queen beds. It was large, very clean and comfortable. I liked that it had a 'current' decor as opposed to the 'back in time' feel. I have stayed at a couple other Inns on the Island and this is my favorite so far. I would definitely stay here again. The pool/hot tub was great, the kids loved it (and so did we). Our package included a voucher for the onsite restaurant, Goodfellows. We ate all of our meals there. We loved the patio that overlooked Main Street. The food was excellent & our waitress Annie was incredibly friendly and accommodating. Entrees were at a minimum $20+ but there were plenty of options, depending on what you wanted to spend or eat. I would suggest that the restaurant offer some vegetarian entrees and sandwiches, maybe a veggie burger. They really need some more heathy, lite options. I am a vegetarian and there wasn't one entree that offered a lite, meatless option. But, the rest of our group had NO problem finding something yummy. The location was perfect. Our package also came with vouchers for Sheplers ferry (which is right across the street). The ferry staff was so nice and the arrival and departure process could not have been more convenient. We loved our visit on the Island. I would recommend bringing your own bikes. We brought 3 and rented the 4th for our full stay. We were on our bikes the whole trip. Take a ride around the Island and stop along the various sites to see. It's absolutely beautiful. It's an easy ride, 8 mile paved road, no hills (we had a 8 year old and a 12 year old who had so much fun). I think that may have been my favorite part of the weekend. Wear your bathing suits so you can stop and get in the water along the way (but bring water shoes or flip flops, it's very rocky). I hope this was helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank llorenze
Reviewed July 20, 2011

This was my first time to Mackinac Island and I was very excited. I booked this hotel through the 800 number for Lake View Hotel. The Girl I talked on the phone told me that I would get a dinner voucher for $100.00 when I check in. I also told her that I am a light sleeper and that I would like a room away from the indoor pool. She told me everything will be taken care of for me. When I arrived to the Hotel it was just the opposite! The front desk staff where rude and uninterested in addressing my issue. They did not care about what our confirmation stated. They told me there was nothing they can do. It seems like there favorite word over their was NO! That's all I heard from them. So we just sucked it up and tried to make the best out of our trip. But it left a bad taste in our mouth.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Palos_11
Reviewed July 16, 2011

First time on Mackinaw Island, and must say was totally impressed. The hotel sports a long beautiful porch with many rocking chairs giving you the opportunity to take in the simplicity of the town. Horse drawn carriages, people bicycling through town, a very simple atmosphere which brings you way back to the olden days. We just LOVED it. The only down side was the smell of horse poop. But we very quickly got used to the smell.
We had reservations at the Lake View Hotel which is just steps from Shepler's Ferry drop off. Since we arrived around 10am in the morning the hotel staff apoligized for our room not being ready but pre checked us in and gave us a discount card we could use at some shops within the town. They took our luggage and safely put away in a room so we could go out and check out the town. We had purchased discounted tour tickets ( a definite must) from Sheplers with our ferry passes so we thought we do that first. When we got back from that we checked back with the hotel around 1pm our room was ready, she gave us our keys right away and we were off to the room and within 5 minutes our bags were brought to our room.
After that we decided to rent some bicycles which you get $1/hr discount (from hotel) if renting from Mackinac Bikes just a skip down the street. Two bikes for two hours just cost us under $30.00, my suggestion bring your own bikes, the hotel has a bike rack at the side that you can lock your bikes up at night. Be sure to bring a camera if you bike around the island which is just over 8 miles, amazing, beautiful views all along the way, the arch a must see.
The room was a little small but very cozy and clean, the bed was very comfy. Room had an air conditioner in the wall right in front of the bed. The pool area was very nice but closes at 10pm which i thought was a little early. My husband and i like to swim later in the evening. After checking all the restaurants in town most very comparable in pricing ($$) we decided to eat at the Lake View hotel restaurant Goodfellow as a hotel guest you get a 10% food discount from your bill. Dinner for 2 was around $50.00 which i thought was pretty reasonable for a tourist attraction. Everything was good, the hostess very polite, the bartender very friendly and attentive while we waited for our table which only took 15 minutes (mixed drinks run $8.00) a bit pricey hence why we each had only 1 but when we got our table outside my experience with the waiter was less than favorable, i am a very laid back person, and don't let a lot bother me but upon asking two questions about the meal i was going to order, Chicken Madagascar I got the response of "oh my God are you serious". Feeling a little embarased and ticked off i just ordered the meal. The food was overall was good. Breakfast in the morning was your typical continental breakfast, toaster waffles, cereal, toast, little pastries and fruit (bananas and apples), with juice and coffee, but for an additional $5.00 you can purchase a freshly made omelette from the omelette bar.
Overall my experience at this hotel was great with the 1 exception but i still would go back to this hotel and encourage anyone thinking about going to book it, a little pricey but totally worth the money.

Room Tip: Calling last minute (Monday to see if they had vacancy for Wednesday which they did, i got a deeply...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelenon
Reviewed July 14, 2011

The Lake View is in a great location--right downtown in the middle of all of the action with the lake across the street. The staff at the Lake View were so accomodating. The rooms were quaint with all of the updated ammenities. The food was delicious. The front porch looks out onto the lake as well as the action happening downtown. A great place to stay. We'll definately return.
Cindy blissfield@lenaweeseniors.org