“Cottage Inn matches the charm of the Island”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Cottage Inn of Mackinac Island
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Wow! What a great experience at the Cottage Inn. I have stayed several places on the island and I was blown away by the Cottage Inn. After going through the entrance of beautiful flowers across the quaint porch and being warmly greeted by Rich, I knew I was in a special place. I loved my "Sail Away" room. While getting ready for the Mackinac experience, I was happy the room had all of the modern ammenities. (I had forgotten to pack my shower case) The bathroom was spacious and CLEAN.
The Cottage Inn location is perfect...downtown and a stones throw from the park. I enjoyed Rich's suggestions of activities on the island and was impressed with his "book" he put together for the guests. The lobby contained menus from island restaurants, and many books and magazines to read about Mackinac.
Returning to my room after participation in the island activities and night life, I was pleasantly suprised by the bed and bedding. Heaven! It was so comfortable I was planning on skipping breakfast. However, I quickly rose after I smelled the aromas coming from outside of my room. Breakfast was beyond my expectations. I was impressed with the variety of selections including pastries, fresh fruit, and two kinds of quiche. The food was so good; I had to go back for seconds! I stongly suggest the quiche with fresh herbs from the Cottage Inn garden. My favorite part of the stay was the opportunity to sit on the front porch with my friend recapping our evening, enjoying our breakfast, watching the people stroll by, and listening to the quiet sounds of the island morning. It was the closest I have ever felt to having my own cottage on the island.
Checkout was quick and hassle free. Rich had my bags sent to the ferry, so I could enjoy my last day on the island with no luggage dragging me down.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank DBoughner
There are newer reviews for Cottage Inn of Mackinac Island

Reviewed June 26, 2009

Just got back from Mackinac Island and the Cottage Inn last night. I hate to say it, but my husband and I were a little disappointed this year. The Cottage Inn just didn't feel as welcoming as it did last year. The new Innkeepers were friendly, but didn't seem very "kid friendly", but maybe that is the direction that the Cottage Inn is going. On our first night we noticed our son's pull-out bed was tearing in one corner, we let it be and enjoyed our vacation, but by the third night he was falling through to the springs and sharp broken wires! We informed the Innkeepers, who immediately took care of the problem, but my son had to sleep on an air mattress on the floor. I thought perhaps they would move us to another room, after all we were paying over $200 a night for this one, for what? So my son could sleep on an air mattress on the floor!! The B & B was clean, but on some days it took our maid until 4:00pm to clean our room. Breakfast was GREAT! It was the one thing we felt had improved since last year. Every morning there was plenty of food and juices and every afternoon, plenty of fudge, caramel corn, peanut brittle and tea. I would still recommend the Cottage Inn to friends and family, just not families with young children.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Travelnfam
Reviewed June 15, 2009

My husband and I just got back from staying the weekend at the Cottage Inn today and I just had to write a review of this beautiful bed and breakfast. The innkeepers Marge and Rich are the most pleasant people. They welcome you with a smile and answer any questions you may have about the island. The inn is just warm and cozy. We stayed in the bridge room and it was beautiful. The room was very clean and charming. We were located on Market Street and it was very quiet. Main Street was a block over, so it was still within walking distance. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy025
Reviewed June 6, 2009

My husband and I took our son and his girlfriend away for a long weekend on Mackinac Island last week and had a wonderful time. The last time we were on the island our son was 7 months old (he is now a junior in college) so we saw some changes, but the island is still an idyllic escape from noise and pollution.

The Cottage Inn was rated highly here and we were not disappointed. It was immaculately clean, the decor was charming without being kitschy, the beds were extremely comfortable, the sheets were luxuriously soft, and the pillows perfect. The bathroom was well appointed with lovely smelling soap, shampoo, shower cap, big, fluffy towels AND a hand held magnifying mirror next to the sink which was just the kind of considerate touch I love when I travel. If you wear reading glasses, you know how helpful that mirror is when putting on your make-up in the morning. There were also controls for heat, air conditioning and a ceiling fan. Additionally, there was a good sized flat panel TV with built in DVD player and a library of DVDs to choose from in the front room.

The entrance to The Cottage Inn had a lovely garden and a nice front porch which had tables and chairs, where we enjoyed drinks in the afternoon, watching the horses and people walk or ride by on their bikes. There was a cabinet in the hallway which always had wineglasses and bottle openers for guests and in the afternoons there was fudge, peanut brittle and caramel corn to snack on. There were also ice buckets and ice was brought to us by the innkeepers whenever we requested it.

Which brings me to the innkeepers, Rich and Marge. What genuinely gracious and welcoming people they are! From the minute we stepped into the Cottage Inn they made us feel as if we were visiting them in their home and they were truly happy to have us there. They were very knowledgeable about the island and were always around to chat with when we returned from our outings. We actually thought they were the owners, their pride and pleasure in their work was so obvious.

Breakfast was another exceptional part of our stay at the Cottage Inn. There was always fruit salad, cold cereal, bagels, english muffins, hard boiled eggs, a hot breakfast casserole,some sort of cake, juices, milk, coffee and tea. And everything was really, really good. The only thing that we found needed tweaking was the coffee, which was a bit too weak for us. But it was always hot and fresh.

I would recommend this inn to anyone, even a handicapped individual. The room we stayed in, Sail Away, was on the first floor and it had a bathroom equipped with handrails and a fold down seat in the shower. I'd wanted a room on the first floor because recent knee surgery made steps a bit of a challenge for me, and even though I didn't require it, it was nice to see a handicapped bathroom so tastefully done.

The location was another great thing about the Cottage Inn. It was perfect. One block away from the main street, so it was uncrowded and quiet. The docks are all nearby and Market Street itself is a beautiful street with shops, historic homes and buildings and leads right down to the lake

All in all, a truly wonderful place to stay and one we will to return to on our next trip to Mackinac Island.

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank lucha02
Reviewed June 3, 2009

This was our second stay at Cottage Inn -- it's truly a little gem on Mackinac Island. It's quiet, despite being only a block away from one of the ferry docs, and the atmosphere is homey and charming. There's a grocery/drugstore a few steps away that comes in handy if you want a snack or bottle of wine without going out to a restaurant (our room had a fridge in it, although I don't know if they all do), and it's across the street from the entrance to scenic Fort Mackinac (listen for the bugler to play "reville" each morning at 9am and "taps" every night at 10pm). The owners are personable, and helped us find an appropriate spot to have a special anniversary dinner one night, and they serve a delicious, not-too-fussy breakfast each day, as well as afternoon tea. Rooms are lovely (the only reason I put four stars instead of five was that our bathroom lacked counter space and the toilet was rather loud, but these are nitpicks). I'm sure we'll be staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank padawan60
Reviewed May 31, 2009

My wife and I visited Mackinac island over Memorial Day this year. We stayed at the Cottage Inn and had a wonderful time. The Inn is nice, with clean rooms, friendly staff, good breakfast, and a great location. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed May 29, 2009

From the aroma of freshly baked ginger snap cookies upon our warmly received arrival to the freshly prepared sumptuous breakfast before our departure we could not have felt more welcomed. We most definitely we will stay again. Rich and Marge (and Joe Cocker) help to make our stay one of the very best experiences we have had at a B & B.
Respectfully, Ed and Pat