“Loved the island”
Review of Island House Hotel

Island House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed May 30, 2008

We have just returned from memorial weekend at the island house. The stay was very relaking and the beds were incredible, I didnt want to get out from between the covers.
The restaurants are GREAT. The salmon BLT at Mary's is out of this world and the Ice House is FUN for lunch.
If you never been to Mackinac Island you should. Its like being transported back in time. No cars or fast food, just a nice relaxing pace to talk and get to know each other. Your kids are going to love it!
Overall this hotel was great. I would recommend going to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Island House Hotel

Reviewed May 29, 2008

I recently retired and my wife and I decided to spend a few weeks traveling to all of the places we never were able to when we were working. The first place we decided upon was Mackinac Island as we have heard so many wonderful things about it from our various friends who have stayed there. We were told there was no better place to stay than the Island House because of the front porch and the restaurant which serves “the best prime rib anywhere.” A few weeks before we were set to arrive I was in a car accident and broke my leg. Rather than cancel the trip, I called the hotel to ask if there was any way they could accommodate me. They immediately informed me they would request a room without stairs and near an elevator as well as explained the different lifts available in the hotel so I wouldn’t have to worry about stairs with my wheelchair. I was very hesitant about how the whole thing would work out but I decided to make it work because we were both looking forward to our trip so much. Upon arrival at the Hotel we were immediately informed that our room was right off the elevator and they even offered to reserve a motorized cart for me to use during my stay. My wife and I had a wonderful time and I am sure our time spent relaxing on the porch had a lot to do with my recovery. I can’t thank the staff enough for making our trip possible and enjoyable.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank upnorth6767
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I must start by saying that my wife and I were married on the proch overlooking the lake 6 years ago. We came back to celcebrate our anniversary. Before our arrival, I had contacted the hotel many times via email to ask for the room we shared on our wedding night, and never heard back. When we checked in, our room was dirty...so dirty that there were dead spiders in the bed. The staff was indeifferent as best. The decor was shabby and attention to detail was lacking, considering the $300/night price tag. At the restaurant, our meals came out wrong 3 times...IN A ROW! Again, we were treated with realtive indifference, though our lunch the next day was free. I would recommend staying at any number of other places before choosing the Island House. In fact, we will not be returning.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2008

It started terrible and turned to horrible! Apparently the last two weeks of May is when the schools around MI have their annual 3 day/2 night field trips. We were never informed of this when we made our reservations. Picture a couple hundred unruly, unsupervised, out of control 4th graders running non-stop through the hotel until well after midnight. Screaming up and down the halls, crying themselves to sleep and then running the hot water tank empty by 7:30 am. We were a couple rooms down from the vending machines and were lucky enough to hear the door of the machine bang shut until 2:00 am. Had we stayed for a 2nd night, I would have put an out of order sign on the machine. We finally had the chance to fall asleep around 2:30 am but the walls are so paper thin that the guy next to our room started snoring and kept us awake the rest of the night. Even if the school kids weren’t there I wouldn’t recommend this hotel. The rooms are way to small, the walls way too thin and the prices way too high.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank christlover
Reviewed May 24, 2008

Our stay at The Island House was okay. We stayed early this May not long after the hotel opened for the season so I'm sure some bugs needed to be worked out. The room was nice, the view of the lake from our room was beautiful. We were celebrating our anniversary and they had our names on the hotel lobby bulletin announcing it which was very thoughtful. The Friday night Managers Welcome Reception was pretty good with assorted cheeses, fruits and great brushetta, along with your choice of beer, wine, or soft drinks. We had dinner at the 1852 Grill Room, which is the main restaurant at the hotel. Dinner was average, however, their breakfast buffet each morning was fabulous. Service was always good and everyone we encountered was friendly. Our only problem, and it wasn't really a problem, it was more a temporary annoyance. There are many elementary school groups that visit the Island weekends during May and into the first week of June before the tourist season really takes off. We found this out after we had arrived. Our room was right next to the stairway and there must have been 50 or more kids there. In the evening they were up and down the stairs constantly running and yelling. I have children and I know kids will be kids and it's exciting to them to stay at a hotel. But we thought they (hotel) could have tried to control it better, or at least geographically arranged their guests in the hotel a little better. It stopped at about 11 p.m. so we still ended up with a restful night. Had it not stoppd by then we were going to request a move. We stayed for two nights and we only had this problem the first night. Overall we had a lovely time. The Island was beautiful. We cannot wait to return to Mackinac Island.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed February 23, 2008

We stayed here over Labor Day weekend and booked a traditional 4th floor room, which required an elevator ride up to the third floor and a a flight of stairs up to the forth, which was not a problem for us. In fact, we felt like we must have stayed at the cutest room in the hotel, very cosy with the flowery decor and the additional tiny round turret room where we would sit and eat fudge while looking out over the water. Very romantic....in fact, perhaps a little TOO romantic - we are expecting our first baby at the end of May (now THAT's a souvenir!!!) :)

The decor out in the halls felt just a little worn, but to us this just added to the charm; this is, after all, a historical old hotel. It was very pleasant dining down in the 1852 Grill room for breakfast and for the one dinner we had included in our package. Food was nice and the staff were extremely curteous. During one warm evening the staff served us food and drinks out on the porch, which was one of our favourite places to be, sitting out on the rocking chairs looking over the water and sipping wine. So relaxing.

Walking around the island we checked out some of the other hotels and felt very pleased that we had chosen the Island House. The old world charm gives the perfect experience of Mackinac Island and is just a little more out of the way from the bustle of Main Street, while still being very accessible, a perfect location.

Can't wait to visit again (next time with our Island House baby!!!)

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank v_wishful
Reviewed October 16, 2007

We knew when we booked the Island House hotel that it was one of the older hotels on the island. We were delighted when we arrived to find the historic marker out in front of the hotel. It was a really charming place. The front porch and chairs out on the front lawn were a great place to sit, relax, and soak in the view--even in chillier weather. We were in one of the 4th floor rooms and as we had gotten a very good off season rate, I didn't expect too much but was pleased. It was not a huge room but it did have a king sized bed and best of all, a really nice view. As the room is on one of the hotel's wings, there was a view of the front of the hotel itself, as well as the main street of Mackinac Island and the lake and islands beyond. There was a small sofa just under the window to sit and look out. I had read other reviews here and some felt that the hotel was overpriced for what they got. This might be true during the high season --I"m not sure--but we felt that with the rate we got, the hotel was a very good value. The staff was friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple