“We Keep Returning” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Grandville, Michigan
“We Keep Returning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We have been most pleased with the Island House and have returned 3 times in the last 2 years. Each time we have had excellent service and a wonderful experience. I still have our bag tags hanging by our computer as a reminder of our last trip. We have likewise been impressed by the large porch, breakfast buffet, availability of bicycles, beautiful views and convenience from the boat docks as others have mentioned. But, we have been most impressed by the friendliness, professionalism and thoughtfulness provided by the staff. We are now making this a definite season experience and look forward to our return trip or trips during 2013.

Room Tip: We always ask for a queen size room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Marilyn49418

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was on a business trip and was orignally scheduled to stay at the Grand Hotel. Unfortunatley, a few weeks before the conference the conference was changed to the Island House. I was disappointed, but it wasn't my call.

The Island House was historic (old), cozy(much smaller), but certainly a step down from my original "Grand" expectations. When I arrived (I checked in early to get settled) I found my room and more disappointment. Although the Island House faces the water (and has a very lovely porch) my room was on the side of the building, facing a nearby building with a view of a backyard walkway. I asked the clerk if I could change my room to a "front" view. She made some obviously insincere comments about being "full" and unable to accommadate my request. I found out later, her comments weren't true.

So I was assigned a room with no other option nor any willingness to meet my request. The rooms was fine , but not "finely" appointed nor special in any particular way. It was an adequate room. Considering the price of the the hotel the ordinariness of the room was surprising.

We had part of our confernce meetings held in the back yard of the hotel in a tent with heaters. In the summer this would have been fine , but this was September and it was "cccold". Oddly enough, I asked more than one hotel employee where my confernce meeting room was and at least 2 had no idea /and/or misdirected me. For a small hotel this was odd.

It was clear also, the Island House wasn't use to confernce meetings as there was only one small inside room off the dining room i.e. rather cramped quarters.

The hotel would be ok if there wasn't a "Grander" choice just down the street for similar amount of money. I would recommend insist on the Grand if you would like a Grand stay on the Island.

Room Tip: As for the front of the hotel overlooking the water.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank usacountrygirl
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

When I am on Mackinac Island for business, I often stay at properties managed by Island House. Specifically Harbor Place apartments which are right on the harbor near the Shepler's ferry dock. I always appreciate the no nonsense coordination of my room with the Island House staff, the convenience, cleanliness and thoughtfulness of the facilities. I have stayed with them several times and have never been disappointed!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had been wanting to spend an overnite on Mackinac Island with friends since our last adventure to New York City last January. Which by the way was just so much fun!

This was a wonderful adventure that started with a great offer of tickets for the ferry, breakfast included room price (not just a continental breakfast but eggs pancakes, french toast, fresh fruit, coffee, juice, potatoes...a great way to start the day of strolling the island) and just down the street from the ferry! All of the staff were wonderful. Wait staff was thinning as it was towards the end of the season but more that adequate, and very friendly.

The swimming pool was nice and still open, it was indoors with plenty of seating on the outside and on the deck.

This hotel is the oldest on the Island so the rooms are not huge, but you spend little time in them as you are busy roaming the island, which is a true step back in time. At the end of the day they have chimeneas with a fire going so you can roast marshmallows. The porch is wonderful and you can see the harbor and Round Island Lighthouse from it.

We ate dinner at the Grand Hotel and it was delightful! The desk called us a horse drawn taxi and off we went! Such a magnificient building. Somewhere in time was filmed there with Christopher Reed and Jan Seymour...We took a tour of the Island because it was iffy as far as the weather was concerned and it was worth every penny! Mike was awesome!

The hotel also picks up your luggage from the ferry and will take your luggage to the ferry, although it is a quick walk and not difficult manage on your own

Island House was great for us! Hope it is for you too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank c52larson
blairsville, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was traveling with my sister who found a great deal for the end of season on travelzoo.com For a fantastic price we received four hours of biking, two night stay, fifty dollar dining credit and a 1/2 pound of fudge.

The weather was not ideal while we were there, but we still enjoyed the four hours of biking around the island. There are about 3/4 of the sites still open this late in the season and there are great deals on souvenirs!

The hotel was out of many things--as it was the end of season--but they were very good about accommodating us. They pick up and deliver your luggage from the ferry. There is even a swimming pool and hot tub on site. They light chimeras out on the front lawn in the evening and have marshmallows for roasting (for a price).

It is a bit of a rambling place with lots of hallways and stairs to maneuver through, but that just adds to the overall feel of the place.

The room was a bit small but it more than met our needs.

The veranda is lovely for sitting and watching the lake and the view from the dining room is gorgeous.

They offer a free breakfast buffet every day which was very good as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank A1teacher
Owosso
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from a two night stay at the Island House Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan. While this is the oldest hotel on the island it has clean comfortable rooms. Our room was small but pleasant, and reasonably priced. The bed was very comfortable and provided a great night's sleep. The hotel rents bikes and is very close to downtown and the fort. You can dress up to dine or eat in your street clothes. Dinner was excellent, though pricey, and very relaxing, with soft piano music playing throughout the meal. The dinning room overlooks the Marina and Harbor. The hotel offers a variety of packages on their facebook page/ website.

Room Tip: The elevator does not go to the fourth floor. Rooms with a harbor view are more expensive. Our room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret B
Lombard, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was our second visit to the Island House, but our first with our kids. Yet again, we had a great time. LOVE the location just outside of the "main street" chaos, yet still close to everything. The view and the porch will keep you coming back. Highly recomend. We will be back!

Room Tip: Water view if possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family