“Tragically historic”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
New York City, New York
“Tragically historic”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

2013 New York City rates for 1852 comfort. We booked a so-called deluxe king room with a view. "Deluxe" is certainly an overstatement to say the least. While we got a king size bed, the room was so tiny that we could barely move in it. The room was clean but the furniture is really kitsch and I guess that the bed sheets are probably from 1852.They were completely threadbare. The view was really beautiful but partly covered by a fixed useless ugly flowery curtain and ridiculous Halloween decoration on the facade of the hotel that made it look more like a Disneyland horror house than a historic hotel. The lobby and common areas are ridiculously small, there are only two sitting areas for a hotel with dozens of rooms. This is probably due to the fact that the ground floor has also been stuffed with rooms. They seem to want to take advantage of every inch in this building. It is true that it has a beautiful veranda and outdoor areas where one could have a drink in front of the lake but there was no one in sight who could serve you that drink. The only thing you could get was a bag of marshmallows available at the reception for $ 3. Believe me, to get marshmallows, I would stay in NY and go to Coney Island. The staff of the hotel is invisible. When you happen to meet them by chance, they are really nice and try to be helpful but they are very young and inexperienced. For their sake and the sake of the service, I suggest that the hotel provide them with some training. After all, for the rate we paid, we are entitled to get normal hotel services and not the minimalistic hostel-like service.
The breakfast buffet was decent but only served between 7:30 and 9:30. The waiters were very nice and helpful but completely overwhelmed as they were very few and the restaurant was stuffed with people.

1 Thank ReneDijon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Glenview, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here using a Groupon. When she had booked - we had a king size room. When we arrived - we were told we had a queen, or two doubles. After some back and forth with the staff we decided on the double room. We got our key = went upstairs, and saw our view... of the dumpster! When I went down to ask about a possible different view - I was behind another couple - who were also checking in using the same Groupon. What I over heard astounded me. They were told that they had been upgraded to some super deluxe room with a harbor view. Why did they get this upgraded - because they know one of the managers. Per the attendant behind the counter = "well it pays to know someone!" They took their key and went off happily. When I inquired about possibly changing our room to a different vie w- I was told no. AND when I commented about the couple before us - I was told "well it is al about who you know". We will NEVER stay here again! Even though it has potential.

4 Thank Joexray78
fort wayne, Indiana
Reviewed October 8, 2012

STAY AWAY! Anyone with perfume/scented allergies this is NOT THE HOTEL FOR YOU! The hotel is scented so strongly everywhere I had a migraine within minutes of being there! We had to find a different one! The hotel would not reimburse our money, the manager was unwilling to help or showed any concern. The rooms are very small and the hallways very winding and up/down stairs to get to your floor. We first had to take an elevator then figure out what stairs we were to take to get to the fourth floor rooms! We were so confused as to where we were by the time we found our strongly scented room! I'm not one to write a review usually, however I didn't want anyone else to end up in the same position we were, left to find a hotel to sleep in for our stay! Thankfully it was October and not summer and there were rooms available at other hotels! We have stayed at many hotels on the island, this was by far the worst one, sad to say but true! We were so excited to stay here too, but when you leave sick and in tears it's a pretty good indication of what kind of hotel it is!

• Stayed October 2012
8 Thank FrequentFlier608
Fremont, Ohio
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We spent 2 nights here using travelzoo. Cost was $299 but there was $53 in taxes added. The two nights included $50 at their dining room, free very good breakfast,some fudge and a 4 hour bike rental. The rooms are small as is the bathroom. The beds ( though small) were surprisingly comfortable and the room was clean. It is located about a 5-8 minute walk from the ferry docks and the walk was pleasant. I would recommend this hotel anytime. The food at the 1813 grill room was very good but also pricy. That $50 in dining credit went fast and I still paid $61 including tip. Wife had Salmon and I had NY Strip. Bourbon and soda was $8 a drink. Makes me think of Ruth Chris except the prices were for a complete meal not ala carte. Glad I had the promotional $50.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Booked through Travelocity for a one night late Fall stay. Room was very small but adequate, clean and conveniently located on main floor. Decided to eat diner in dining room as we arrived late afternoon. Excellent choice if a bit pricey. Opted for the $45 Prix Fixe three course dinner which included one of the best pieces of prime rib we've ever encountered. Service was very good and view of bay added to the ambiance. Would recommend this property for a first time visit due to location and price. Buffet breakfast was usual fare and unimpressive.

1 Thank Paul D
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel completely met my expectations. My husband was a little let down. It is a well-maintained historic building, and in being so, rooms are small - but I imagine all hotels on the island are! We stayed in room 400, which several hotel staff told us was "the best room in the hotel." It is the room at the top of the tower on the left, with the small portal windows. It was very charming, but you have to crawl through a three foot door space to get into the tower room - my 6'4" husband was not loving it...! I imagine it would be a child's paradise since it was like your own little doll house. It was a deluxe view room, and considering you have to crawl to this small room to see anything, my husband was disappointed in the view. All that aside though, breakfast was wonderful both mornings. French toast, chocolate chips and blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, many pastries...it was all you could need. Dinner in the restaurant was also good and comparable or better to other places on the island. The hotel porters promptly picked-up and delivered our luggage from the ferry both coming and going. My only complaint is they don't have free coffee available in the lobby all day long. Seems like for the price you are paying, they could easily have this available...

2 Thank ead_angel
Long Beach
Reviewed September 24, 2012

its a historic hotel so don't expect a large fancy room. We chose this place for the atmosphere of a historic place. The service was great, food was great. Everyone working always said Hi and Welcome. They have coffee in the lobby from 6am to 10 am. We did the Getaway package which included our room, free 1/2 lb fudge and our ferry tickets. You can do smores at night in the front, the living room downstairs people gathered in the evening, they have games you can play. It was a great experience if you like Art Deco type places. If your looking for something fancy and updated, this is not for you.
If I were to go back again, I'd stay here again. The bell desk had our luggage when we got there and took our luggage to the ferry. I also liked how it was away from the main street so it was nice and quiet.