“Not what we expected after the first stay.”
Review of Island House Hotel

Island House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Albion, Michigan
“Not what we expected after the first stay.”
Reviewed October 2, 2007

We stayed at The Island House Labor Day, 2006 and were thrilled. For a fraction of the price of the "big name" hotel on the Island we found the facilities superb and the staff extremely accomodating.

The porch (they call it the veranda) is not as huge and famous as the one at the "big name" hotel but sitting there and watching the traffic down on the street and the marina is unforgettable.

This year we were there the same day and in the same rooms. We found the staff just a bit less enthusiastic (adequate would be a better description.) The television reception was non-existant. We were told they were working on it. There were spiders and webs all over my friends room (my room was spared.) We were told that there were spiders everywhere on the island this year. No apologies for either situation.

Buffet breakfast was adequate. (I get better variety and quality at Old Country Buffet at home, though.) We did not have other meals at the hotel. We like the Yankee Rebel downtown much better.

But attention to little details is one of the things that can make or break a stay. My little annoyance was that I paid by check in advance. Long story but it turns out that I overpaid. By about double. I was told on the telephone that the overpayment would be paid on arrival. On arrival I was told that the payment would be given to me on check out. On check out I was told it would be mailed. It took over two weeks. That's not a big deal but surely an indication of where customer satisfaction rates on their scale.

It is a good hotel and we like it and will probably return. But nothing is consistant and surely nothing is perfect.

• Liked — Location, ambiance
  • Disliked — Inconsistancy between visits.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank MrPahl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
South Lyon, MI
Reviewed October 2, 2007

My husband and I rented a regular double room for three nights on second floor facing the front/lake. The room size was too small for the price paid and there was a bit more noise from the hallway than I expected. The hotel needs a bit of sprucing up--some stains and cracks in the tub and sink. Our king bed was very comfortable, but really too large for the room. We didn't have a bureau to unpack our large suitcases into, so relied on the luggage rack. Had to ask for a second one, which was promptly provided. Unfortunately there is marina construction with motorized equipment happening in front of the hotel right now. This will last most likely until the snow flies. You can see a crane in one of the pictures I submitted. The indoor pool, sauna and whirpool were very nice, but you had to walk outside to get to them. The breakfast provided with the room price was okay, nothing special. However, their coffee was very good I thought. Their restaurant dinner menu was too expensive so we didn't try it out.

Beautiful flowers and exterior. Their staff are constantly dusting and sweeping outdoors, etc. Porch is very pleasant to rest and we enjoyed the front lawn chairs when the construction wasn't going or when it was sunny. They rent bikes there if you need it but we brought ours.

I still think this is an above average bed and breakfast location even with the construction activities. Please call them to see if it is still underway or completed before booking just so you aren't surprised.

No wireless in the rooms, must go down to the lobby or porch to use it. It is free once you get their password.

• Liked — Historical charm, location, whirlpool was perfect after a long day!
  • Disliked — Room size, breakfast choices mediocre-no variety day to day
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Dreams_of_Travel
Grand Blanc, MI
Reviewed August 26, 2007

When our room was given away at another establishment, they booked a room for us at the Island House. (Otherwise I'd have known nothing about the Island House.) It turned out that we enjoyed the location, the view, a wonderful breakfast, and especially the welcoming and helpful attitude of the staff.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank nlfkjf
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed August 19, 2007

My family (2 parents, 2 grandparents, and a 4 year old girl), visited the Island House on August 8-10, 2007. After doing an exhaustive comparison of offerings on the island, I went with the Island House (close to the dock, close to downtown, family suites, looked pretty). We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite for $750 a night. I thought it would be worth the price, I was wrong. The place was just dirty, hotel toiletries had been partially used and not replaced, no coffee for the coffee maker. And NO ONE CLEANED THE ROOM--EVER, when we were there. Three days, no maid service. Ick. When I ran the jacuzzi tub, a thick layer of scum rose to the top. The furniture was circa 1984 and had been badly beaten up--and glued back together with sloppy wood glue. The suites are in the rear of the hotel and you have to practically leave breadcrumbs to find it. If you take the driveway alongside the hotel, it is faster, however, you'll see the inner working of the hotel and the luggage service in a way that may not be to your liking. Mackinac Island is beautiful, but if I came again, I'd stay off the island. $1500 for the 3 day weekend in this dump was just downright robbery. When we complained, no one seemed to care. Plus, they lost our luggage claim tickets at checkout. Despite the porter swearing that no one on the Arnold Line Ferry would ask for our claim tags, lo' and behold they did. Apparently, we look honest, and the ferry folks assumed the stuff was ours (so much for "security").

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — Dirty, dirty, dirty
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Reading, PA
Reviewed August 4, 2007

The Island House was recommended by a coworker and I think we did quite well considering almost all the island's hotels were fully booked. It's an interesting old hotel from the mid-1800's with an indoor pool and hot tub. It's on the main road and visible from the ferry (Arnold Line) but at the start of the residential area, slightly removed from the hubbub of the commercial zone. Our room was a double in the center section and was spacious by 19th century standards but more than a little tight for a 20th century family of three. The vanity and wash area was in the main room and the bathroom was tiny. Although we were just steps from the main staircase and a short way from the elevator, I was surprised at how quiet it was in our room. Either the 150 year old walls were more soundproof than I supposed or the guests were quieter. The check-in was friendly and efficient but that poor girl was there all through the night dealing with extra blankets, pillows, directions, recommendations, etc. and seemed a little frazzled as the night wore on. The buffet breakfast was fine - plenty of food and variety but, again, the servers were run off their legs trying to keep the buffet tables supplied and serving tea, coffee, and juices.
If you were going to stay on the island, I can recommend this hotel but the ferries were running until 10 pm on a weekend in the summer and the next night we stayed in a quite nice hotel in Mackinaw City for less than a third of the price. So unless you are planing to drink and party the night away at one of the island bars, I'd save the money and take the ferry back.

• Liked — Walkng distance to sights but out of the downtown tourist district.
  • Disliked — Price.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
michigan
Reviewed July 26, 2007

Things got bad upon our arrival and registering in at the reception desk. They did not have the room I booked, at a higher rate than the traditional room. It just seemed to get worse as I tried to contact the general manager. He called after 2 times of trying and said there was nothing he could do. I guess I was too picky in hiss mind. The manager at the desk was no help either. I will not stay there again much less visit the island again after experiencing what I did. But...... I must say the hotel is beautiful although the rooms are very small and they have a shortage of roll-a-ways..... if you have more than 2 people or are visiting with a guest.... I suggest you might give that a thought. Maybe you should stay on the mainland and take the ferry in.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — That I was traveling with my best friend and she had to experience all the problems.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank misunderstood42
Naples, FL
Reviewed July 17, 2007

My wife and 13-month old child stayed in a 4th floor traditional room. It was perfect for our needs. The air conditioning worked well but there was also a nice breeze when the windows were open. We ate breakfast downstairs in the morning, and that was a very good experience. The only complaint was a slightly slow front desk.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family