I booked the Harbor View based upon other reviews on here. Overall, it was a decent hotel, but not worth the price, especially not with the issues that occurred during our stay.
None of the issues were a big deal. By themselves, they all were just minor inconveniences. But, added up, they resulted in us having a "just ok" experience with this property.
Anyway, the negatives:
First off, the hotel provides for luggage transfer from the ferry dock to the hotel. However, it took about 45 minutes after we arrived at the hotel (after walking from the dock), for our luggage to arrive. No big deal, but I wanted to change my clothing and get going on exploring the island, so it was a mild inconvenience.
Then, the internet service went down later that night and was down until the next evening. Internet access is a major issue for me in choosing a hotel, so this was annoying.
The drain in our bathroom tub was apparently clogged and was slow in draining, so the tub often filled up with water when we were showering, which was unpleasant.
The vending machine in our building was completely out of bottled water.
The hot tub was broken and not funtioning (and was filled with nasty-looking water).
When I politely brought these issues (all of which were admittedly small) up to the hotel desk, they were nice enough and apologized, but offered no fixes nor offered any gestures to make up for these issues. I understand that hotels have problems that are unavoidable and unforeseeable. But, the mark of a good hotel is that it will take steps to make it right, rather than just saying "whoops, sorry."
For example, during another part of our trip, when we stayed at a different hotel, that hotel put us in a room that was marked as smoke-free but clearly smelled of smoke. When I informed the front desk at that hotel, they could not switch our room, so they gave my whole family free breakfast. That was a wonderful gesture, and was not anything I expected nor asked for. That is the mark of a good hotel.
With a room rate between $200 and $300 per night, I would expect more from the hotel. In this case, I did not receive that. Thus, I would not likely stay here again.
A couple of other points worth mentioning: When I went to rent tandem bikes from the hotel, they only had two and one was broken (even though it was outside in the rack with the others). The guy in charge did a great job of coming up with a solution, but it did take about 15-20 minutes to get it resolved. I cannot complain because the hotel employee handled it well. But, it was just another "fly in the ointment" so to speak.
Further, the breakfast buffet is pretty sparse. A few cereals, oatmeal, fruit, and assorted pastries and breads. No meats, eggs, waffles, etc. You can get more from a Fairfield Inn or La Quinta breakfast.
Having said all that, the hotel is pretty and is clean. So, if none of my concerns relate to issues that matter to you, then this hotel would be a reasonable choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located a short walk from the best attractions on Mackinac Island, yet away from the bustling traffic of downtown. Our relaxing hotel complex offers a variety of rooms in four different buildings and complimentary breakfast. All rooms are non-smoking. Out of respect for all our guests, we ask that you leave your pets at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Cancelon so you can book your Harbour View Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbour View Hotel Mackinac Island
- Harbor View Hotel
- Harbor View Mackinac Island