“OK Stay”
Review of Harbour View Inn

Harbour View Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I booked the Harbor View based upon other reviews on here. Overall, it was a decent hotel, but not worth the price, especially not with the issues that occurred during our stay.

None of the issues were a big deal. By themselves, they all were just minor inconveniences. But, added up, they resulted in us having a "just ok" experience with this property.

Anyway, the negatives:

First off, the hotel provides for luggage transfer from the ferry dock to the hotel. However, it took about 45 minutes after we arrived at the hotel (after walking from the dock), for our luggage to arrive. No big deal, but I wanted to change my clothing and get going on exploring the island, so it was a mild inconvenience.

Then, the internet service went down later that night and was down until the next evening. Internet access is a major issue for me in choosing a hotel, so this was annoying.

The drain in our bathroom tub was apparently clogged and was slow in draining, so the tub often filled up with water when we were showering, which was unpleasant.

The vending machine in our building was completely out of bottled water.

The hot tub was broken and not funtioning (and was filled with nasty-looking water).

When I politely brought these issues (all of which were admittedly small) up to the hotel desk, they were nice enough and apologized, but offered no fixes nor offered any gestures to make up for these issues. I understand that hotels have problems that are unavoidable and unforeseeable. But, the mark of a good hotel is that it will take steps to make it right, rather than just saying "whoops, sorry."

For example, during another part of our trip, when we stayed at a different hotel, that hotel put us in a room that was marked as smoke-free but clearly smelled of smoke. When I informed the front desk at that hotel, they could not switch our room, so they gave my whole family free breakfast. That was a wonderful gesture, and was not anything I expected nor asked for. That is the mark of a good hotel.

With a room rate between $200 and $300 per night, I would expect more from the hotel. In this case, I did not receive that. Thus, I would not likely stay here again.

A couple of other points worth mentioning: When I went to rent tandem bikes from the hotel, they only had two and one was broken (even though it was outside in the rack with the others). The guy in charge did a great job of coming up with a solution, but it did take about 15-20 minutes to get it resolved. I cannot complain because the hotel employee handled it well. But, it was just another "fly in the ointment" so to speak.

Further, the breakfast buffet is pretty sparse. A few cereals, oatmeal, fruit, and assorted pastries and breads. No meats, eggs, waffles, etc. You can get more from a Fairfield Inn or La Quinta breakfast.

Having said all that, the hotel is pretty and is clean. So, if none of my concerns relate to issues that matter to you, then this hotel would be a reasonable choice.

2  Thank crbguy

Reviewed July 26, 2008

My family of 7 stay overnight on Mackinac one night a year. It is hard to find accomodations that are not very expensive. We usually pay $500 for the night. The Harbor View put us in one large room with 3 queens and 2 baths for a relatively reasonable rate. The rooms were clean, the hotel was quiet, and the included breakfast was basic but satisfied all. It is an easy 10 minute walk from the dock and the staff will take your bags to and from the hotel. Jeanine Lunghamer, Orchard Lake, MI.

1  Thank travelingmoml
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We stayed at the Harbor View in July 2008. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. Rooms were very clean. However the beds were the most uncomfortable we have ever experienced. Very hard. There were low thread count scratchy sheets. No name toiletries. We could hear the people walking in the room above us. All in all it was three nights of little to no sleep. In a hotel where you pay in excess of $200/ night, one would expect more. I can't recommend this place to others. We will not return again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank michiganjoan
Reviewed July 12, 2008

The Harbor View inn has nice enough amenities and staff, but they frequently host youth groups. Our stay coincided with one such group and we were up half the night listening to doors slam, and teenage girls and boys running around the halls laughing and yelling. Calls to the front desk got short relief from the noise, but it was not long before they were back at it again.

Be sure to ask when you book your room if they are hosting any groups that week. If they are then look elsewhere, unless you enjoy spending your vacation in a frat house environment.

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank Mahler4
Reviewed July 10, 2008

We made our first trip to Mackinac Island over the 4th of July weekend. This is a beautiful island and our stay at the Harbor View's B&B was delightful. I would definitely choose it again.

The location is excellent -- close enough to the main restaurant/ fort / shopping area but just far enough so that it was quieter and calmer than most of the Main Street hotels.

Our room was very clean and well decorated with a flat screen TV, comfortable easy chair and a king bed. We were at the front of the building and thus had a partial view of the lake itself.

The first 2 floors of the B&B building are not air conditioned. I had some concerns about this but we found that the breeze off the lake was more than enough to keep the room cool. The hotel also provides a fan in each room.

We had a lovely front porch visit with Nancy, the manager of the B&B building. As a year round resident, she had many stories about life on the island in the dead of winter -- snow mobiles, et al. She gave us excellent restaurant recommendations and was very helpful.

Overall, I'd certainly go back to the Harbor View. No complaints and many pluses.

2  Thank doveWashington
Reviewed June 28, 2008

I read many reviews on Trip Advisor and finally settled on the Harbor View Inn and was very happy with my choice. The room was put together nicely and did not have the standard hotel room furniture (the TV could of been bigger). The room was clean and in very good condition. We had a patio door with two chairs and table to use which was nice although they were covered in bugs and had to clean them off. There was some kids upstairs that you could hear running around but other than that is was a very peaceful setting. It is located on the edge of "downtown" so it is about a 7 minute walk and you are were all the action is.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank evanremmen
Reviewed June 28, 2008

After a long Trip, you check in to your room, and have to use the rest room, I lifted the lid, the seat was coverd in urine, and feces. I called the desk to have someone fix this, and not even an opology, but they would send someone up. When my Husband and I came back, still dirty, it looked as if someone wiped it slightly with tp. Staff was far from friendly. Breakfast was over an hour earlier than website posted, The breakfast attendant was very rude. Toothpaste and a stir stick were on the floor on our arrival. The top white cotton blanket heavily soiled. No in room coffee, no tea as they claimed, no paper and pen in the room, as you would usually find. The room smelled bad, and it was a non-smoking room. They do have a hot tub on the grounds, it just hasent been working all season, as they assured me would be when we reserved our room. Lush gardens? Well the rest of Mackinac were far more impressive. I would never stay here again. It was our anniversary, and my dream to stay in a charming Bed and Breakfast, I didnt think it meant paying $169.86 to slum it.

8  Thank Stacy062008