“Great Anniversary Experience”
Review of Harbour View Inn

Harbour View Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed November 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Harour View Inn for our first anniversary. We had visited the Island during our honeymoon but had not stayed overnight. This was our first overnight trip and we were very excited. We were unsure about where to stay, but we found such a great special we decided to give this a chance. When we reached the island, the porter was at the dock and had our bags delivered right to our room, which was very nice as the hotel is a good distance from the ferry docks. When we checked into the hotel, the front desk staff was friendly and we got our keys in short order. We had reserved a harbour view room, however we were immediately dissappointed as it was a first floor room w/ a very obstructed view of the harbour and was quite small. I mentioned all of those facts to my wife immediately after entering the room, however for the price we paid I was still somewhat satisfied. To my surprise not even 30 seconds later the phone rang and we were told by the front desk that they had upgraded us. When we go to our new room we were beyond excited, it was a top floor room w/ a great view of the harbour, 2 bathrooms and a jacuzzi. It was perfect for our anniversary trip. Throughout the stay the staff was very helpful, even assisting us w/ getting a broken bike lock removed. The only thing that was slightly lacking was the breakfast in the morning, it was your standard continental fare which was good but of course was no hot breakfast. All in all it was a very pleasant experience and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Slimchiply87
There are newer reviews for Harbour View Inn

Reviewed September 18, 2011

This was our first visit to Mackinac Island, which I had long wanted to visit. After doing much research here on TripAdvisor we decided on the Harbor View. I wanted something charming and historic, close to everything and reasonably priced.

We reserved two rooms, one for our daughters in the original home and the other, which was listed as a harbour view room was in the newer addition to the back of the property. It had a view as it was uphill and overlooked original inn. It was disappointing as it was a standard motel room, but clean.

The included breakfast was very simple, but adequate. Staff was pleasant and renting bikes there was convenient and cheaper.

I would definitely consider staying here again....

Room Tip: Make sure to ask if you want to sleep in the historic part of hotel.
4  Thank Dan S
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We had a nice time at the Harbour View. Beds were comfortable, staff was friendly and the price was right compared to the rest of the island. Continental breakfast was good but not great and the onsite bike rentals were inexpensive ($18 for 3 people for 2 hours) for the ride around the island. It's a little bit of a trek (5 minutes) to the downtown area from our room but it was nice being away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown.

3  Thank tweaker30
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed here for a friend's wedding. I've never stayed on the island before and I would definitely stay here again. It was so convenient and such a beautiful place.

The porter met us at the dock and took our bags to the Inn. We were able to check in early and the bags were already in the room! I stayed in the B&B, my room was taken up by a big bed and one chair (it was just me so that's all I needed). Two negatives: there was no A/C (I know I read there was A/C on their site) but there was a fan in the closet that helped and there was no refrigerator/microwave (the fridge would've been nice to keep water in). I never did find the ice machine.

There was a nice big porch that faced Main Street so we spent a lot of time here, watching people ride bikes. The B&B is closest to Main Street, there is also the Inn, the Carriage House, and the Guest House. There was quite a few members of our party staying on the property so we were able to explore the place. One of the rooms in the Guest House (I think) was quite big, you could actually see the harbor and had a little sitting area separate from the beds.

The wedding turned out really nice and the staff seemed very accomodating. The food was delicious. I don't think they serve food at any other time besides breakfast. There was a BBQ next to the B&B but I only saw it open once the three days I was there. The breakfast was a continental breakfast, nothing too exciting: coffee, juice, breads, cereals, hardboiled egg.

I would definitely stay here again. The location was nice, still on Main St. but away from all the tourist-y stuff. I never had to touch my bags, the porters did a great job of taking care of everything. There were bikes to rent directly from the Inn. There were plenty of places to sit and relax without being bothered. I was very impressed with Harbourview.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed here in July on our annual trip to Mackinac Island. This is our second time staying at Harbour View. The rooms are always clean, the location is walking distance to nearly all attractions and there is plenty of room to store bikes overnight. If you're willing to walk up the hill to the rooms at the top of the hill, the rates are more favorable and room quality is the same.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Picked this hotel on short notice, turned out to be a pretty good choice. Nice place, kind of like half bed & breakfast, half hotel. Room was VERY spacious - sitting room and big bedroom. Kind of pricy at $300 plus $50 taxes, but most everywhere is. Good location - slightly off the main area, but honestly probably just far enough to avoid congestion, just close enough for a longer walk. Right across from the best bike store on the island - very handy. Clean room, but older, so nothing like a Westin (but then, that's not why you are on Mackinac Island, right?). Breakfast was average, but fine for starting the day.

One note - they actually lost my reservation, so make sure to give a credit card prior to getting there. They found me another room, thankfully.

Recommended.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

This was our first stay at the Inn and the staff was friendly and very accommodating. The room was clean and appropriately sized for our selection. The continental breakfast had just the right mix of items. They even had a tent to purchase "to go" sandwiches and the pulled BBQ chicken was excellent! It was a wonderful first experience and we will definitely book with them again!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple