“This Hotel surprised us at every turn”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Harbour View Inn

Harbour View Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Akron, Ohio
“This Hotel surprised us at every turn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

This was a great property to stay in. The staff was very accomodating and the rooms were so comfortable for our family. We had 5 of us in the room and there was plenty of space and room for us to enjoy the room. The breakfast was an added bonus that we were not expecting. The location of this esablishment is perfect. Close enough to town, but just enough separation to avoid the confusion.We will be back and it is a must stay if you are going to Mac> we stayed 4 nights.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank sssboat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

Our return stay to Harbour View was as welcoming and pleasant as our first. The Porter took all of our bags to the hotel which allowed us to take a casual walk, snack,and stop in at a few shops before we checked in. The front desk staff welcomed us with smiling faces and offers to assist us with anything we needed during our stay. Our room was in the Carriage House, immediately behind the main house. The room was lovely! Beautiful wallpaper throughout; a comfy king bed with tall decorative headboard; stuffed chair, open wardrobe for hanging clothes with 2 drawers. The large sitting room area had a sofa sleeper,stuffed chair, hand painted table and 2 chairs, a small TV that sat on a 4 drawer wicker dresser,small bar area (sink/fridge/ice bucket with glasses). The patio door opened to the a long shared balcony with 2-3 chairs and a small table per room.The bath area is "between" the bedroom and sitting area..ours had the sink/counter area outside of the bath which really helped with getting ready fast. The room was air conditioned plus had 2 ceiling fans. The soda vending and ice machine were at the end of the hall. The continental breakfast is fresh and tasty. We have found the grounds to be very well kept, and really enjoy the gorgeous flowers. There is a fenced area for a hot tub..but the tub is absent. The location of the Inn is perfect as it's close enough for a short walk to the bustle of downtown, yet far enough away to enjoy the quiet on the front porch. Our checkout was quick and easy. We chose to walk to the ferry, tho staff will call a horse driven taxi (fee) at request. The Porter had all our bags at the dock as planned. An extra "Thank You" to Michelle and her staff: especially Nancy, Kathy, and Jason! We look forward to another trip back to the Island, and will certainly be staying at Harbour View! PS- our favorite restaurants so far are Yankee Rebel, Horns, and Seabiscuit!

• Stayed July 2011
Terre Haute, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

My boyfriend and I just stayed 2 nights on the island for July 4th to watch the fireworks and escape the heat back home. This inn was a great deal for a holiday rate, and it was very clean and comfortable. The only reason we did not sleep great is because of being a strange bed and we are used to sleeping in total darkness at home. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. The main inn is a beautiful old home and well kept. Tea, coffee and water was available downstairs most of the time. Did not eat the free continental breakfast because we sleep late. Really enjoyed the weather during our short stay. Liked the location of the inn with a nice view of the harbor (thus the inn name!) Enjoyed the front porch and balcony.

Wished they offered cookies every afternoon, but that would be my only suggestion for improvement. Just wished I could have stayed longer!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catlady1137574
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

Our first trip back to Mackinaw in many, many years, we were excited to find a nice B&B at an excellent rate ($160ish with AAA rate).We stayed in the B&B next door -- it is quieter, I would very much like to try the comfortable hustle and bustle of the main house next time. But breakfast is served in both homes each morning and it is delicious!

We stayed for 2 nights -- unfortunately, when we left I accidentally left behind several clothing items. When we got home several days later I realized I and left them in the dresser at the Inn. I called and they found everything and shipped it back to me within a couple of days at NO CHARGE all the way to south Florida. I really appreciated their kindness!

Room Tip: If you want quiet and solitude, go for the B&B....if you want more interaction, go for the main...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Islamorada76
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I had a great experience staying at Harbor View Inn. We booked a last-minute room 2 days before our trip; at $200, it was the cheapest and one of the only hotels available. We were concerned by some of the negative reviews on the Tripadvisor website, but everything turned out great! First, we took Arnold Transit to the island; this turned out to be the closest ferry to the hotel (only a 5 minute walk). Considering it was a Saturday in June, of course our room wasn't ready when we arrived at 10am, so we just spent the next few hours walking the 5 mile loop past Arch Rock and to the intersection of Bluff Trail and Murray Trail. Even in peak tourist season, we didn't see a soul all along Bluff Trail. We checked in our one bag before we got on the ferry, so we never had to worry about it. We finally got back to the hotel around 5pm when we were told that they had upgraded us to a suite. What a pleasant surprise! It was a handicapped suite, but we had a bedroom, large bathroom, and a separate living room opening up to the first floor balcony. My only slight complaint was that there was no TV in our bedroom (the TV was in the living room). We never had any problems with the hotel staff - if you greet someone else with a smile, they will of course treat you kindly in return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Taylor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the smaller portion of the Harborview next door. It’s blue with white trim.

I booked us through Yahoo Travel, which worked out fine. But, I was not aware of certain selections I should have made clear prior to arriving on the island.

First, the larger inn (pictured on the Travel Advisor page above) did NOT have operating a/c. At the last minute (while checking in) I asked about a/c and was told it was not working. I do not know if it normally works or not. Fortunately I was able to request a room with a/c and got it, even though it was the busy summer travel season on the island. But, the only unit with a/c was the smaller building next door. Thank goodness for the a/c because it is super hot and humid in July on the island. The air was thick and muggy. A/C was a necessity for me!

Secondly, the smaller portion of the Harborview does NOT have elevators. This was not mentioned until I was schlepping up the stairs! Our room was on the 3rd floor. (Note my previous mention of the hot and humid weather!) Also, because the Island has a LOT to see and do, we were up and down those stairs 4-6 times per day! Was a great work out, but exhausting. Also, if you haven’t heard, there are no cars on the Island. Thus, we would be out, walking in 90 degree heat/100% humidity, and have to climb the darn stairs over and over. Do yourself a favor: call ahead and request a first floor room with a/c!!

The room itself was small but very charming! One full bed, 1 recliner chair, a dresser w/ TV, and a window overlooking the street, and a small 3/4 bath. Toiletries were high quality. No ice machine in our whole building – had to go down 3 flights of stairs and then into the next building for ice. Nicest part was sleeping with the window cracked so we could hear the horse hooves clip-clopping first thing in the morning. Harborview does not have a bar or restaurant; but they do have a reasonable BBQ on the front lawn most evenings (you do have to purchase those items).

Good location: right around the corner from St Anne’s and the Butterfly House! The porters will take your bags to and from the ferries. Most tip them $5 per bag. It’s a great service, especially with the slight incline leading to the inn.

I am not going to go into touring the entire island. I’m sure you’ll read all about it on other reviews, etc. But I will state that ALL the restaurants on the island are expensive! Delicious food; but not unusual to pay $12 for a sandwich and drink. Very busy in the summer months, you’ll be walking with crowds everywhere, and will have to wait for a table at most restaurants. I recommend bringing some non-perishable snacks & drinks with you to save money.

Mackinaw is one and a million. You’ve got to see it and stay there once to get the experience! It is lovely, even with the expensive food and hoards of people. I’d stay at the Harborview again. It’s one of the more reasonably priced inns; and the staff was generally kind and accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask about elevators and a/c before you arrive!
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Stargazer78
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

this hotel was wonderful! i visited with my mother father and grandmother. this was an amazing stay at mackinac. we stayed for an extra night we had such a great time! the location is far away from town so it took us awhile to get to the attractions. everyone was very polite. overall amazing stay

• Stayed July 2010