Lilac Tree Suites & Spa
Island House Hotel(Mackinac Island)
$161
  • Pool
Lake View Hotel(Mackinac Island)
$323
$313
Murray Hotel(Mackinac Island)
$229
$222
  • Restaurant
$267
The Inn at Stonecliffe(Mackinac Island)
$218
$849
$658
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Chippewa Hotel Waterfront(Mackinac Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
Harbour View Inn(Mackinac Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmain streetbalcony roommilk and cookiessister hoteldouble sinksoreosstay there againtop floorturn down serviceliving areamiddle of townpink ponypeople watchingflat screenbeds were comfortablegreat place to stayjacuzzi tub
Reviewed October 16, 2006

This was my first year staying at the Lilac Tree, and let me say it WONT be the last. Our room was BEAUTIFUL, just what I had expected, it was spacious, and OMG what a view. This was my mom and aunts first year to come to the island, and they was VERY impressed, I truely dont think we could of picked a better place. And the staff was just wonderful, there was a few things that had went wrong and the staff was right there to fix the problem, and with housekeeping, I have never found such a friendly crew, I was wondering the halls one morning and heard someone singing like an angel, and I had to follow the sound and found out it was one of the housekeepers, this made me feel as if this wasnt one of those stuffy hotels, but more like a home away from home. And then the milk and cookies totaly had me and my family spoiled, my mom had asked me if I could come by each night to continue with this........grin. Needless to say we was VERY spoiled. So I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel. Friendly staff, beautiful rooms, beautiful view, good price. I truely want to thank the staff at the hotel for making this a wonderful vacation for my mom and aunt as well as myself!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank PStaley
Reviewed September 25, 2006

We just got back from a weekend on Mackinac Island where we stayed at the Lilac Tree. It is a quaint little hotel located right smack in the middle of Main Street. The location was wonderful, but then again, there aren't really many Inns that aren't centrally located. The downtown area is very small in comparison to many other resort towns.

Our suite was very spacious, but it's furnishings and decorations were quite worn. It was obvious that the furniture and coverlets, wallcoverings and window treatments had not been replaced in quite some time. We estimated mid-80's... Our couch back was stained and our bed was too uncomfortably firm. Luckily, we were so exhausted upon arrival that we were actually able to sleep, despite that. We used the HUGE jacuzzi tub a couple of times and it was wonderful. The perfect way to warm up after a long day of either travelling or walking/biking, etc. in the rain.

One of the lights above our vanity was burned out and never replaced during our 3 day, 2 night stay. (In the hotel's defense, we never requested it be changed....we figured it was obvious enough to the cleaning staff that they would have reported the light burned out.)

When we checked in, there was a man behind the counter that was handling a telephone call from another guest who must have been complaining that their heating/ac wasn't functioning properly. He held the phone away from his head and rolled his eyes while the guest was speaking to him. It did NOT leave a very good impression of the front desk staff. We also asked for some robes for our room as our travelling companions had two of them in their room closet. We were told that the hotel didn't even have robes. We checked the robes in our friend's closet and, sure enough, they had "Lilac Tree Hotel" embroidered on them. Obviously the front desk staff was misinformed on the subject.

There were other situations where they weren't very knowledgeable either. Our luggage was lost by the airline and when we were informed that it would arrive late in the evening, the front desk staff told us they couldn't assist us in picking the bags up from the ferry dock because their ferry porter was already off-duty. When our bags arrived, my husband went running in the pouring rain to pick up the bags at the ferry, only to find that the Lilac Tree's porter had, indeed, picked them up. They also told us that it would be completely appropriate for myself and the other woman in our party to go to dinner at The Woods in our velour sweatsuits when our luggage was lost. Luckily we did not take their advice. When we went to the Woods the following evening, we realized we would have been embarrassingly underdressed had we shown up in sweatsuits and tennis shoes. Neither of us would have even felt comfortable walking into the restaurant. I think they just need to take some time to train their desk staff. They are simply not very polished or professional.

One of the main things that bothered us about the Lilac Tree is that the front desk lobby is completely separate from the elevator that the guests take to go to their guest rooms. There is an entrance to the guest elevators directly off the street, providing access to anyone who feels like it to wander into our hotel, completely unobserved. There is no security to speak of, and while I'm sure that Mackinac Island is very safe, we we were not comfortable with the fact that anyone on the island could enter the guest floors of our hotel.

We went to the Lilac Tree on the "Romatic Getaway" package, which I wouldn't recommend doing. We each received our spa services, which were fabulous. However, the breakfasts provided with the package are at the restaurant in the Chippewa Hotel. The food was decent, but the service was terrible. While we were at the Chippewa, we asked to see some of their suites and decided that we would much rather have stayed there....the view was better, the decorating in the rooms was less gauche. The fact was, we spent almost $800 for two nights in a suite. It was NOT worth it at all.

As for Mackinac Island itself, we had a wonderful time. A perfect place for a fall getway with my husband and two of our close friends. We also were checking out the island as a potential family vacation spot and decided, for our familys (which include 6 children from ages 1 to 6) it probably wouldn't work. There isn't an awful lot for kids to do there. Once you've biked around the island and ridden bikes, there isn't a lot left. We didn't see any beaches, and from others told us while we were there, the water is too cold in the summer to enjoy. In our opinion, it is a vacation spot best enjoyed by adults.

Anyway, there you have it. It's just our opinion....

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TheMannClan
Reviewed September 3, 2006

We enjoyed staying right in the middle of town. A lot to do was right at our door step. We had a very nice suite with a seperated bedroom with I think double beds and a seperated living area.
This included an ironing board and iron, hair dryer, microwave and small refrigerater. We bought our own styrofoam dishes and plastic utensils. Remember paper towels. Salt and pepper too! The sinks are seperate from the toilet and tub which is nice. Our "living room", looked out on a balcony which had some beautiful hanging petunias as well as a table and chairs.
We were able to enjoy morning coffee with a newspaper and then in the evening watch the lively goings on ,on main street. The noise from the college groups did not effect our sleep at all. The living room and bath area elimanated that all together. I have NEVVER slept so well in a hotel! The staff was friendly and courteous. They truely went out of their way to make us feel at home.
Oreo's and milk at bedtime were appreciated! Mint chocolates on our pillows were nice too. The Staff deserves GREAT recognition. The ELEVATOR is a GOD SEND! Anyone who has trekked around the island all day by bike or foot is surely to appreciate it! I Can't say enough GREAT things about "THE LILAC TREE"! Enjoy yourself!!! Susan

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank susieloveslilas
Reviewed August 30, 2006

High ratings from others are well deserved. We stayed there 3 nights with our 2 young children and were given a playpen to use for free for the 1-year-old. Location is very convenient, literally steps from restaurants/stores, yet design is good enough such that outside noise isn't really a factor inside the room. There was a room mixup upon checkin, but we were given a free dinner as compensation for waiting about 20 min. for the problem to be resolved. We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank chapmaryland
Reviewed August 26, 2006

We loved the hotel. It was a big spacious room. The balcony looked over Main Street so you can see everything going on. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We did here some noise from the room above us and they were very quick to rectify the problem. The location of the hotel is great. We took Shepleys ferry over and the hotel is right up the street.

Stayed: August 2006