“They understand customer service!”

Lilac Tree Suites & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Michigan
“They understand customer service!”
Reviewed July 15, 2009

This was our second stay at the Lilac Tree Hotel and, wow, it really was wonderful. You must visit the spa in the lower level--what a treat! While getting a massage and sipping on some herbal tea, you'd never know you were in a busy downtown area. Lauren at the front desk was so very helpful and knowledgeable about recommending not only the spa, but local restaurants, shops, and the boat schedule. We even had a great time watching the town settle in for the evening from our balcony.
The room was spotless, there were plenty of towels, chocolates on our pillows, and even a bottle of complimentary water. When we left our room for breakfast, it had already been cleaned by the time we got back (about an hour later). This was a great value!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Geneva, IL
Reviewed July 5, 2009

After almost booking a special stay at another hotel, I stumbled across this gem! A gem it is! This was our first stay at the island and at the last minute, my parents decided to join us. So it was a challenge trying to find a place for us to stay with enough room and keeping our wallets in tact. Well, Lilac Tree hit the mark!
To get to the island, we rode the ferry Star Line. The kids loved the hydro-plane type boat! They took our luggage directly to the hotel, which was great. The Hotel is about 1/2 block up the street from the Ferry, which was very convenient. I was concerend about being on the busy main street, but found it was very easy to get to everything. We were travleing with 3 kids, 10, 8 and 4, plus our senior parents. For us, getting around by foot was by far the easiest, so our location was key.
The room was not ready by the guaranteed 3:00pm, so this started my "wheel" going, but they did get us breakfast vouchers, and you will quickly discover that this Island is not cheap, so the vouchers were very appreciated. By 4:00pm, our room was ready, and what ever ill feelings I started to have were quickly dissolved.
The room was plenty large enough for the 7 of us. The first room you walked into had a nice sitting area, plus a queen size bed and a plasma tv. Then you walked through the bathroom to get to the bedroom, which had 2 queen size beds and a TV. The bathroom was clean, the grout in the toilet/tub area, could be replaced, but the tiles were clean enough. The tub was the biggest I've ever seen! the sink area was clean and there were enough towels. Each room was separted by a pocket door.
The "courtyard" of the hotel is open to the public, which I thought was a bit odd, as anyone could access the hotel since the elevator to the rooms was in the courtyard. If I'm paying a $300/night, I would expect a little bit of a secured entrance.
The kids also enjoyed the milk and cookie service everynight.
The location of the hotel is perfect. We could walk everywhere...to the Grand Hotel, Fort Mackinac and everyshop in between. If you go to the ice cream stand across the street, they have a nice private aread behind them that faces the water and you are hidden from all the "street" traffic. It was a nice place to enjoy an ice cream cone in peace.
When we come back, I will not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ScrappingMomof3
Hermann, Missouri
Reviewed September 24, 2008

We have just returned from our tenth stay at the Lilac Tree. We stayed there six nights and our room again was always spotlessly clean. The housekeeper is always very friendly and dedicated to her job. The furniture and decor in the suite was very appealing. The suite is spacious and the pillow-top mattresses are wonderful. We always enjoy sitting on the balcony and watching the activity on Main Street, as well as the ferries and freighters on Lake Huron. We are looking forward to staying at the Lilac Tree again next year.

• Liked — Everything.
  • Disliked — Having to leave.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
West Michigan
Reviewed September 13, 2008

I booked a reservation at the Lilac Tree but I had to cancel shortly after booking. I canceled over two weeks before my stay was scheduled, but did not receive a credit back to my card. I called multiple times and I received multiple excuses for why the amount was not credited back to my account. Each phone conversation ended with the person noting that they had indeed processed the credit back to my account and that it should show up in the next couple of days.

But the credit did not show up - instead they continued to charge my account!!!

I am currently in the process of working with the credit card company to reverse the charges and I am carefully watching my credit card account to see if they continue to charge my account or if there are other erroneous charges indicating that someone there is using my credit card. It has been weeks since my cancellation and this saga is still going on...

Do not deal with this hotel unless you enjoy hassles like this!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank subpar1
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I simply do not understand the negative reviews. Our experience was exactly the opposite. Our room was made up the minute we left in the morning. We had attentive service. Extra blankets and pillows were provided within minutes of our request. The room was terrific -- big, clean, modern, and comfortable.

Be sure to get a room facing the main street. Those rooms have lovely balconies and are worth the price.

• Stayed July 2008
USA
Reviewed July 31, 2008

The service was poor, room not made up by late afternoon, the sink was blocked on our arrival and it was dirty, then the toilet blocked, the decor was shabby and so was the furniture. It was not worth the money. For this price I'd expect at least good service and a clean and well maintained room.

• Liked — central location in town
  • Disliked — poor service and standards
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank jcsbUsa
Reviewed July 31, 2008

This past weekend we stayed at the Lilac Tree. Having never stayed there before but staying many other places on the island we did not know what to expect. What we found was a WONDERFUL stay!! Everyone at the hotel from the front desk, to housekeeping to the housekeeping manager was extremely friendly. We had a suite overlooking the main street. It was extremely clean and had beautiful decor. It was a perfect spot to be close to everything. We will without a doubt be staying at the Lilac Tree for all of our visits to Mackinac Island!!!!

• Liked — Everything!!
  • Disliked — Everything was great!!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business