“Awesome”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
South Bend, Indiana
“Awesome”
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We had such a fabulous time! We shopped and saw the "sights" all day long and then relaxed in the hot tub. We ate dinner at the Pink Pony Lounge and loved the great entertainment each night! Madeline at the front desk, gave us great "direction" as to what we should not miss during our visit. We get to the island 4 or 5 times a year and we always stay at the Chippewa because of its great location and the hospitality extended to us by the great staff. Next summer we are planning an all-girl trip and introduce our friends to the Chippewa!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Midwest
Reviewed July 15, 2010

This was our first time to Mackinac Island. Very happy we selected the Chippewa. We booked a suite on the fourth floor looking at the boat docks. While it was a hike we decided to take the stairs (there is an elevator but it is very small). The room was clean and roomy. Housekeeping was attentive, and the turn down service was a nice touch.

The hotel is located in a good spot; an easy walk to most major locations and the ferry drop off. If I had one complaint it would be the pool, it is a 25 person hot tub which gets crowed at night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Kalamazoo
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We booked our room and didn't realize check in time was not until 3pm. Our fault. They bumped us up to a two bedroom suite, so I will review the room we stayed in, as if we were paying it's full price. We liked the room so much that were are going back again next year and getting the same room (308). My guess is that it's 300-500 dollars.

The room is expensive, but worth it if you go early enough. It has three queens beds and three plasma TVs. I slept in my own room and my mom slept in her own separate room. My favorite part of the room was coming back from a long walk and sitting out on the deck overlooking the patio. At night if we were tired and didn't feel like going out we could sit on the couch and watch a movie. Yes, this room had a dining room table, mini fridge AND a couch. Even a Jacuzzi.

Each time we were out of the room we'd almost always come back and our room was cleaned. Each time we came back at night our beds were turned down.

The only negative of the room I can think of is that they should keep the fridge colder and stock more items and charge the guests for what they buy. The pop in the fridge AND the vending machine was expired! The pop in the fridge was also warm, but this is an island and they're probably try to cut down on electricity.

The beds were comfortable, but the pillows were a bit too soft and flat for me. Maybe they should bring in two types of pillows like at another hotel I went to on the island. The room I was in could get somewhat hot at night. This was due to how the AC was in a separate room and it took awhile for the air to reach the other room. They did have an overhead fan in each room though.

The only bad experience was at the Pink Pony. We wanted to get a simple drink and some snacks at 8pm and they said we couldn't order them until 10:30pm?! The service was almost non-existent and several people had to wait almost 10 minutes just to get a menu! We never went back.

Just an FYI, this hotel does not offer room service and does not have laundry service. No big deal for me. We got stuck in a storm and had to dry out our wet clothing on the balcony! One plus is that the AC in the room is NOT the type found in other hotels on the island. It's NOT the portable type where you have to empty the bucket two times each night!

We went back to the island on the 4th and had to stay at another hotel since they were full. It was a bad experience! I left a review for the other hotel as well.

• Stayed June 2010
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 13, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a 1 night stay at the Chippewa. The hotel was beautiful from all aspects. Even though our room was small, we had ample room to move about and we could enjoy the view of the city street. The age of the hotel added to the charm. As others have previously stated, the bar noise at night was at times very loud. The horse clopping lured me to sleep but eventually got the best of my husband until he used the provided ear plugs. We would definitely stay again as the staff was most helpful and cheerful.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed June 11, 2010

We just returned from a 2 night stay at the Chippewa. We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom lake side suites, and it was amazing! The beds were so comfortable..the view was fantastic..the kids loved the large hot tub/pool and the cookies and milk at turn down. Mom and dad loved the lemon drop martinis at the Pink Pony and enjoying a cup of coffee on the balcony as the ferry boats started arriving in the mornings. My kids loved it so much they asked if we could move into the hotel:)
We were even able to alternate time with the kids so that we could each enjoy one spa treatment. I chose the cucumber/mint pedicure(AMAZING), and my husband opted for the hot stone massage(FABULOUS)!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed June 4, 2010

The Chippewa is a very short walk from Arnold Ferry Lines - our baggage was collected by Archie, the super efficient bellman, and transported directly to the hotel. Our room was ready early and check in was a breeze. The hotel is a turn of the century structure - just beautifully decorated and maintained. We had a street side standard, one queen bed,and it was quite small but extremely clean, inviting, and comfortable. The hotel is centrally located in town on Main Street; just walk outside to shops and attractions. There is a grocery right across the street and many restaurants. We biked all over the island and enjoyed the trip thoroughly. There's nothing like the calm that descends on the town once the last ferry leaves taking the day tourists back to the mainland. It is well worth it to stay all night on the island. There is a fairly noisy bar scene as night progresses but we never heard it from our room. However we did hear the clop, clop of horse hooves. Enchanting.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kpenny
Reviewed May 21, 2010

Lovely hotel and staff. The beds were plush, rooms immaculate, staff friendly. I was disapointed that the staff didn't advise me that I might need the earplugs, which they provide, to help me sleep-- the bar noise can be high. But, I would definitely stay there again. The restaurant and bar areas were fantastic, too.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple