“Chippewa Best Hotel On The Island!”

Chippewa Hotel Waterfront
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
lansing, michigan
“Chippewa Best Hotel On The Island!”
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Fantastic service. New patio bar is ideal to just sit and take in all the sights and sounds. Brian Bailey, the General Manager is a gracious classy host. He is well respected throughout the business, and knows his guests needs. Great place, will return very soon!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank toostrong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Reviewed August 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the hotel when a friend wanted a group to accompany him as he surprised his wife for their anniversary. The good thing is the hotel is a stones throw from the ferry, thus right on the water. It is right in the mist of things...so you can walk right out of the hotel to shop, eat or bar hop. In each room there was earplugs supplied to aid in sleeping...you realize why at night...because you are so close to the bars etc. There is a bar in the hotel, however, when we were there they were featuring the most boring live music I"ve ever heard...every single song this lady sang was the same beat and tempo...regardless of the song.

While we were in the bar..."The Pink Pony"......several BATS, flying EXTREMELY low were in the bar.....apparently a common occurance, since the wait staff went in the back and emerged with nets to catch them. Multple times we had to duck so ensure the bats didnt fly into us.

We paid $170.00 per night for the room, which seems reasonable for a room on the water...BUT this was by far the smallest hotel room I've ever seen...it was honestly no bigger and a bedroom in your house. There was ABSOLUTELY, no way two people could be in the bathroom at the same time, and the shower would be impossible if you were a larger person (there was no tub--as you showered your elbows could touch the wall and the shower curtain simaltaneously. I should note that we got a standard room and it seems the suites are significantly larger.

Overall, with the exception of the uncomfortable shower (I'm tall, but by no means large), I can't complain about the hotel and considering it's proximity to everything would return. BUT don't expect an early check-in or a late check-out.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed August 22, 2009

The Chippewa Hotel has so many positives when visiting Michigan's most beautiful vacation destination. I liked: the two minute walk from the Arnold ferry, the awsome views of arriving boats and passing freighters both from my room and the indoor and outdoor restaurants, the newly renovated open air bar that rivals any I have visited in the caribean, the ease of enjoying the island's many points of interest from a very central location, and the friendliness and attention from the staff.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2009

The room was on the expensive side, but my wife and I wanted to have a nice waterfront room on Mackinac Island. We checked in to our room and it was beautiful with a great view. The only thing wrong, and it was a big thing, the patio bar is right out in front of the waterfront rooms. The speakers for the bar were mounted just outside our room. We had blarring bar music in our room until very late at night. If you intend to use your room to sleep, this isn't the place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lancesurf
Reviewed August 4, 2009

My wife and I needed a get-away so we booked a night at the Chippewa Hotel which is located by the Arnold Line ferry boat dock. A baggage handler from the hotel met us at the dock and quickly took care of our luggage. We walked in the hotel lobby and were greated by a young woman named Nadine who was very pleasant and helpful with everything we needed. We checked our luggage and decided to walk around Main Street to take in the sights. When we arrived back at the hotel our luggage had already been taken up to our room. We took the elevator up to our floor, and were impressed by the elegant decorations in the hallway. I had heard good things about the Chippewa from friends, but had no idea how beautiful the room would look. We opened the door, walked inside and it was incredible! We had a lake view room on the third floor and it was breathtaking - very spacious and very clean, and we felt at home.

I called downstairs and made reservations for a meal at the hotel's dining room. We feasted on delicious Italian Pasta and salmon, and enjoyed a glass of very nice wine. We went for a stroll at sunset and came back to the hotel for a nightcap at The Waterfront Bar. There was live entertinament at the bar and we ended up staying and singing half the night a way! The next morning we enjoyed a nice breakfast at the hotel, then a soothing half hour in the hot pool outside.

I've stayed and eaten on Mackinac Island several times over the years, but no other hotel experience was as good as this one - a very good value. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone who needs a break from it all!
Franklin
Royal Oak, MI

• Stayed June 2009
Chicago
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I had a wonderful time at this hotel. The staff was wonderful from the moment I walked in. The front desk worker was so friendly and welcoming. I would definitely reccomend this to a friend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Iron Mountain MI
Reviewed July 29, 2009

The Chippewa Hotel was very nice, we felt welcomed by everyone. I would especially like to thank Julie Ryan(not sure of her married name) the desk manager for her accomodations to me and my friends. She was very friendly and helped us with a lot of our questions about things to do while staying. So a special thanks to her!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends