“Have been there a few times” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Iroquois

Hotel Iroquois
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
“Have been there a few times”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

My wife and I have enjoyed the Hotel Iroquois several times. The rooms are always clean and the service very good. I would however ask for a little bit better continental breakfast. It really is just coffee and fruit. At over $300 per day there should be a little bit more. As I said the service is excellent. As far as a quiet hotel, I realize it is very hard to have a quit hotel that is this old. The charm of it is its age, but the cost is squeaking floors and loud doors. I would recommend this hotel to my friends but warn them if the get a deluxe lake front room the rooms are a bit small but again charming.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Plasticpays

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Americus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

We watched the ferry and freighters, heard the fog horn when if fogged over, saw the gulls and geese. Folks were very kind and charming despite growing weary toward the end of tourist season. Is it worth the money? I think that depends on how much you love the sound of waves.

Room Tip: Choose the full view of the lake. It overlooks a small park and is quieter than marina views,
2 Thank Dirtroadbackstreets
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

I would like to start by saying this hotel is fine. I would be happy to spend $100 a night here, maybe $150. The garden is pretty and the building is quaint, with charming decor. But this is an island full of charming, quaint, historic hotels. In my opinion, the accolades and cost of this establishment far exceed the delivery of service.
We stayed in a balcony room, not a suite. Maybe that is where the difference lies. For the price of $360/nt., we received an underwhelming welcome (not a welcome, really, more like "Oh, great. People."), a small hotel room- which was nicely decorated but not exceptionally clean and was in fact missing a comforter for the bed- and not a single special touch that others have mentioned. No locally-made soaps, no champagne or fudge here. I guess that is what one should expect for such rock-bottom pricing! I realize this is Mackinac Island, you're going to pay more, but isn't the point that it IS special? This hotel did absolutely nothing to make us feel that way.
Here are a few other things that are not up to par:
The bartender in the restaurant was the most apathetic person in the service industry that I have encountered in quite some time. We left as quickly as we could and changed our minds about dining there. Unacceptable for this price point.
Since the hotel is old, you will have to deal with the squeaks of heaving floors and thin walls between rooms and hallways.
The lawn on the waterfront is difficult to enjoy since you have to tiptoe around goose droppings every step of the way. This makes the waterfront location a bit less desirable and makes you wonder how other parks on the island can manage to be well kept, but not the lawn of the hotel where you just paid extra to be on the waterfront. (Tip: If you really want to check out the view, or take pictures, from the lawn, just walk onto it from the street and navigate the goose droppings for free!) In the end, the location doesn't really matter - you're going to be within steps of the water no matter where you stay!
So, yeah, the inflated cost knocks this otherwise three star experience down to a two in my book. I've had far better service for far less. Loved our trip to the Island anyway and will gladly return to another establishment.

Room Tip: Bear in mind there are no elevators. If needed, request first floor.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank veggiecar
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

Hands down - a winner! This property as it all - location, style, quality, uniqueness, hospitality and fine dining. Love, love, love it! Will make this our island home every time we visit the island. Don't pass on the opportunity to treat yourself well. Price is a little steep, but do it for at least one night - you won't regret it! It is located very close to the ferry's; main street businesses; bike rentals; fort, grand hotel, etc. So charming! We love the hotel and we love the island!

Room Tip: Each room and level offers something different in room size; view, etc. Ask the front desk to guide...
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed here in August. After reading the reviews from Tripadvisor, I chose this hotel for our family getaway. It was well worth the money. We had a beautiful view of the Lake. We could see two lighthouses and watch the boats coming in and out of the marina. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The entire hotel was spotless! We are so glad that we chose this hotel.

Room Tip: If you need a room with air conditioning, make sure that you tell the staff when booking the hotel...
1 Thank 4320jdfarmer
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

For our mini-moon (mid-September, mid-week), my husband and I stayed in the Biddle Room one night and immediately fell in love with the hotel. At first glance, the hotel itself looks like a sweet little place, but it wasn't until we were in our room that we realized all the care and attention that go into not only maintaining it but also making sure guests are as comfortable as can be. What we loved:

--The gorgeous setting, right on the water, by the ferry docks, and with its own private lakeside grounds. The room overlooks the ferry terminal and the harbor with two walls of windows. It was great people watching, and the sound from the dock -- initially a worry of mine -- was not disturbing at all, but rather gave it all a little character. At dark, all we heard was the lapping of the water at the shore, and watched the moonlight on the water. The windows seemed to be soundproofed when closed.
--The bottle of L. Mawby champagne and Murdick's fudge awaiting us in the room. Yum.
--The decor. Loved the simplicity yet brightness of the room. It was tasteful--not easy to do with floral accents (no chintz here).
--The details, from the locally made lilac hand soap to the Frette towels and the embroidered pillow cases and incredibly comfortable bed, all was perfectly appointed.
--The service. Our bags made it from the hotel to our next stop without an issue, and room service was prompt. Even having a corkscrew available in the room was thoughtful (somehow, we always end up having to ask for one when we travel). After we checked out, the hotel called us to let us know we had left food in the refrigerator, in case we still wanted it (we didn't).
--The downstairs restaurant, the Carriage House. Had a lovely steak dinner that felt old-school traditional yet friendly and with a sense of humor. The piano player skipped around decades, even sharing a piano bar version of Nirvana. The sunken bar looked fun, too. But the best part has to be the view -- we watched an amazing moonrise from our table. Probably not a bad seat in the joint.
--No signs of wear and tear in the rooms or restaurant ... unlike the Grand.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, but there are a few things other travelers may question:
--No elevator, not a problem for us, but could be for older folks.
--The proximity to the busy main street. We were there midweek, early fall, so it was fairly quiet. Not sure how it would be, say, Fourth of July weekend.
--The restaurant menu was broad, but again, traditional. Not exactly a foodie paradise, but solidly prepared. I'd eat here again if we were back on the island.

Room Tip: The Biddle Point room was stunning with two walls of windows. We had also checked out the pricier Ma...
2 Thank nycjaunter
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We came here for a few nights in August. Our room was on the top floor facing the ferry. One of the only nice things I have to say about this place is that they have people come to the ferry to take your bags up for you. That is nice. The tiny muffins in the morning in the breakfast area were also nice although there was no juice. Only tea and coffee. What is less nice is that the room and bathroom are not upscale. I'm used to upscale. It needs updating. The mattress is uncomfortable. Worse, there is an extremely loud bar/restaurant right next door. They play loud music late into the night and you have drunk loud patrons shouting right under the window. Since there is no air conditioning you must leave the window open. When I complained in the morning the woman at the desk pretended that she knew nothing about the noise and offered me a room on the first floor on the other side (facing a large grassy area covered in goose poop). I declined because I was quite sure I'd hear the noise on the other side as well and have, in addition, people stomping above my head. The restaurant looks promising but the food was very disappointing and overpriced. I will never return to either the hotel or the restaurant. I'm not likely to return the the island in general because the smell of horse poop all over the town was not very pleasant.

Room Tip: try to get upper floor opposite side from ferry
    • 2 of 5 bubbles