“Bikes”

Mackinac Island Bike Shop
Ranked #1 of 14 Shopping in Mackinac Island
Reviewed June 5, 2013

You can rent a bike almost anywhere bring yours if you have one plenty of room on the boats.you will have to have one if you want to go anywhere do the ride around the island at least ounce don't miss it. But without a bike you walking unless you do horse and carriage ride witch is slow...too slow.

There are newer reviews for Mackinac Island Bike Shop

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The people here were so great about asking where you planned to go so they could get you the correct bike. They also helped with planning our trip throughout the island.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Staff are very patient...we rented a tandum and they let you try any bike before taking off. Free water, free basket, free helmut and no deposit...we had a blast!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have rented bikes here before, but we took our own this trip. Halfway around the island, my chain broke. I stopped at MIB and they fixed it right away, for a very reasonable price, especially for the island. Everyone I spoke to at the shop had a smile and friendly word. I saw some of them off duty, and they were just as nice. When I rent, it will be at MIB.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I already knew I wanted to rent a bicycle on the island, but when I saw how many people were riding around, I wanted to ride immediately. That was a bit of a problem because each bike rental place had a long line. The lines were moving quickly, but there was still a significant wait.

We were lucky enough to discover a second rental spot for this company right around the corner, next to Goodfellows. There was no line at all.

I've rented bicycles in many places and this was by far the easiest rental I've ever done. They wanted a credit card and phone number and a signature on a very basic form. There was no safety training, fitting, rules of the road, liability waiver, insurance, add-ons, etc. Just "here's the bike, go ride." The prices were $5-8 per hour and that was what they charged. No incidental charges. They also provide a helmet (not required) and water. The bikes had baskets, so carrying things is easy if you choose.

If you're an inexperienced rider, you should be careful. The island is a virtual free-for-all with bikes and horses and carriages running in every direction. In town it's very unpredictable. Also, the inland roads and trails have small inclines which can be difficult for some riders. I saw many people walking their bikes uphill.

The trail that goes all the way around the island is mostly flat and very pleasant. I can't wait to go again. When I do, I'll make sure I go to this place to avoid the lines.

1  Thank Rick W