“Eh, it's average.”

Island House Bike Shop
Ranked #1 of 16 Shopping in Mackinac Island
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bike the M-185, the only state highway prohibiting motor vehicles with a rental from Island House Bike Shop. Stop along the way for a picnic. Sites along the way include the Straits of Mackinac, St. Ignace, Mackinac Bridge, Devil's Kitchen, Arch Rock, British Landing and more
Reviewed July 13, 2012

A bike shop is a bike shop. What can you really say? It was a tad on the expensive side, but everything on the island is expensive. It came with a free bottle of water, so that was nice. The bike seemed a bit too big for me and for some reason I felt horribly unbalanced. I don't know if it was the enormous basket on the front or what, but I felt like I had never ridden a bike before! The seat of the bike was very comfortable, we were happily surprised about that. We loved seeing the island via the bike paths. They seemed sturdy and it good condition.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"height"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed July 6, 2012

This bike shop should not be a category. I was most surprised that for an island that has no cars and depends on pedal power, that the staff at these shops do not know how to fit a bike or else they just don't bother. This particular shop (past the Fort on the right from downtown) did not offer a map, charged $2 for a water, and fit me with a bike too long for me. They also did not know how to fit the seat to the person. Terrible staff!
The worst though....NO FENDERS on the bikes. We got caught in a rain storm and ended up with "fudgie stripes" down the back of our shorts from the horse mess in the roads. Why would anyone rent bikes to visitors without fenders?! Terrible.

3  Thank LouisMegill
Reviewed June 30, 2012

This place had great quality bikes and had an easy/quick rental system. Big cushy bike seats, bottle of water and pay at the end. Great value with lots of bike options. Nice and helpful staff.

1  Thank LloydDob89
Reviewed June 28, 2012

There were so many bike shops downtown I just arbitrarily picked this one because they offered maps of "self-guided tours." There wasn't any additional or interesting information on the maps and really I could have printed it at home and gone anywhere.

Though I requested a helmet at the counter, they didn't give me one when I went to pick up my bike. But I just went with it (though the entire time riding I was regretting not insisting on one).

The one thing I didn't like is that as a female they had zip-tied a fake pink flower on the handle bars. Unnecessary!

The price seemed about average and the bike was comfortable and seemed to be well maintained.