“Unique Experience”

Jack's Livery Stable
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was our second time renting a carriage from Jack's, we have been lucky enough to have Bud and Willy pull our carriages! This is a unique activity and the staff at Jack's makes it easy and loads of fun!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Like all things Mackinac, it is pricey and a little precious, but nowhere else east of the Mississippi have I seen rental horse-drawn carriages you can drive yourself. Choose from two routes, and hour or two hours long, which the horses know by themselves almost. You essentially tell them stop or go, perhaps to trot, but they are in charge in the end.

The experience itself can be had in an hour, but you will see other parts of the island if you choose the longer ride. As parents in strollers passed us, bank on a slow ride. Take in the shore, the trees, the smell even. For $70 an hr (for four) make the most of it. Like other Mackinac Island things, it is worth doing but only once.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had a really good experience with Jack's. There were 4 of us total and we had no problem walking up and getting 4 horses for horseback riding for an hour. We had Sam, Lark, Dan, and Tonka. One of our riders was very nervous as this was her first time on a horse. She had Tonka, who was very gentle and easy going. Our guide, Mackenzie, rode right next to her assuring her the whole way. I am a novice only having ridden once before and was given Dan. He was wonderful as well. Sam and Lark were both "leaders" and lead is what they did!

I know other reviews talked about how the horses were stubborn, etc. but I thought the staff was very honest with us when getting us ready to go out. They did not sugarcoat the matter- they explained that horses HAVE A MIND OF THEIR OWN, are very intelligent, and need you to show them who is boss. They explained that the horses are very well behaved while the guide is around but as soon as the guide leaves the horses will test us to see what they can get away with. All we had to do is be stern and let them know who was boss. We didn't have any problem with our horses.

One thing I was disappointed in was the length of the trip, which was no fault of Jack's. Next time we'll definitely do a longer ride as an hour just wasn't long enough. It takes about 20 minutes to get out to the trail, which only gives you 20 minutes to go through the trail with a 20 minute ride back to the stables. I would definitely suggest at least a 2 hour ride!

All in all, wonderful experience at Jack's! What a great way to see the island.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We rented a carriage and Lady was our guide. She did a fine job of not making me look like the novice buggy driver that I am. A wonderful and romantic way to tour the lsland.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stopped here early in the season and were given horses that probably weren't ready to go out yet. It was a rough ride for both of us (this was probably our own fault, as we were experienced riders and opted to go out without a guide). We did the 2 hour trail, but the horses had us back in an hour! I would have liked to have gone a little slower, but Joey and Bella were not in the mood to listen to us that day. The staff @ Jack's was very friendly, and we will probably go back again. However, I suggest having a guide accompany you and asking for a tame horse no matter what your experience level.