“Average at best”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Average at best”
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Expected a bit more from this restaurant since its owned by the Grand Hotel. Had lunch here on a rainy overcast day. Ordered tomato soup which was decent though not amazing. Grilled cheese tasted like average wheat bread and processed cheese. Seriously? I at least expected some tasty cheddar.

The patio seems like it would be nice on a warmer day. There was a fireplace inside but you really could only access it if you were one of 2 tables seated next to it.

PA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Horse and Carriage for Two!!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Loved it--so romantic--just be and my new husband. We were on our honeymoon. Our horse's name was Jerry. The horses are trained so well--we had no problems. A great way to tour the island, privately....a must do when you go!!--worth the price!

Visited September 2012
Fountain Hills, Arizona
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Rent a bike if you want to see the island. The horses move so SLOWLY.”
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

It's a beautiful island and after an hour at such a slow pace you just want to get off. We planned to take a long route as suggested by the staff (2.5 hours) but the horse couldn't cover that route in 3 days. Save your money, rent a bike.

Midland, Michigan
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Treat the animals horribly - don't ride the horses on Mackinaw”
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

I used to always ride the horses when we went to the island, but I won't any more after our last couple experiences. My husband had trouble with his horse acting up like he was going to buck him off, so he kept getting off of him for safety reasons. So on our 2 hour ride, my husband walked his horse a majority of the time ( not fun). We asked for a refund since he didnt ride him. They refused. They should charging people for a horse who is not safe to ride. Another time we rented a carriage. There was 3 adults (skinny) and a 4 years old. Our horse was extremely slow and was taking much longer than then the stable told us he would get us back by. We were almost back to the stable, we noticed the horse was limping as it walked. Come to find out his horseshoe was missing and looked like his hoofs hadn't been taken care of properly. When we got back to the stable, we told them about the missing horseshoe and they informed us the horse would no longer be in service until the farrier could fix his missing horseshoe, which the lady happened to tell me the farrier only comes on Tuesdays (it was Saturday). Later we called back because we misplaced some keys and thought possibly it was in the carriage. They informed us they couldn't check right away because the horse was out on a run!!! I couldn't believe it! It made me sick - working that poor animal just to make a buck! I don't know how they can sleep at night. I seriously considered calling the authorities. Now I ONLY bike on the island

9 Thank KittyPurrMeow
Detroit, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We took the 1 hour 45 minute trip that goes around the water and then back through the forest and the kids loved it! I worried about them getting bored, but they really enjoyed it. Just make sure you take a sweatshirt as this was the second time we did it and we had forgotten how cold it gets!

Helpful and friendly staff too! It's a bit pricey, but worth it - everything you are going to do on the island is going to be expensive.

Visited August 2012