“Great way to relax and enjoy the Island's interior”

Jack's Drive It Yourself Buggy Ride
Jackson Hole Wy
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great way to relax and enjoy the Island's interior”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We rented a buggy large enough for 4 adults and 2 kids. It was a beautiful fall day, and the pace was very relaxing. Left to their own accord, these horses will move slowly and head back to the barn at the first chance! Given just a bit of direction, our horse went where we wanted to go and picked up the pace when we asked him. It's great to get the freedom to drive your own buggy, and I highly recommend this as a way to relax and get away from the crowds on main street. The kids loved it and also found the pace relaxing enough to get in a quick catnap!

3 Thank Linda M

St. Louis
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Our first buggy ride.”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was so excited to drive my own buggy. We rented the buggy for the hour ride ($69.00). I guess since I told them that me or my husband were beginners and never drove a hourse buggy before, they gave us I think the oldest horse on the island. We moved very slow and did not think the horse was going to make it. Our horse (Maggy) did make it, but I was a little disapointed that we did not have a younger more vibrant horse to pull the buggy.

2 Thank JoanStLouis
Canton, Georgia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A good experience.”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I'm giving Jacks a good rating because their service was great. Very friendly and helpful and we got what we paid for.

With that being said here are some pluses, minuses and things to know.

Pluses...
Friendly staff ( even discounted price a little due to slower horse)
Very peaceful time and very relaxing.
On a warm day, I would b nice and cool with all the shade.

Minuses...
Very slow (we were passed by walkers). We had Maggie, great horse and got her due to us being new to horses. Don't go with Maggie...we watched some other buggies and the speed was great. ( don't forget you will pay per hour)
Not much to see...we did this because we didn't want to miss the rest of the island. Took a 2 hr trip on west side of island and back down thru the center. Lots and lots of trees. Nothing really new to see that you couldn't see by main street, arch rock and ,ission point area.
Cold....we went in sept. couldn't believe how cold it got back in the state park. ( felt 15 degrees colder). Wear a coat. Again a lot of shade.

People on here say slow...Im Ok with that. I wanted relaxing and slow. If you want o go fast rent a bike. If you want to be lazy...get a horse and buggy. Just know Maggie is über slow. Also don't feel like you will miss much if you don't get to back part of island.

So the final question...would I recommend, absolutely but hopefully you are now better armed.

2 Thank admiralhj
Michigan, USA
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Worth every penny!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had so much fun! We rented a buggy from Jack’s Livery. You cannot go around the entire island, however you go from the Livery, to the snack shack, to the interior of the Island, past the Grand and back to the Livery. The entire trip took about 1 1/2 hr and cost about $65.00, totally worth every penny. The staff is very competent; initially we had a high-spirited horse…so we went back to the Livery and traded for a perfectly mild mannered horse “Billy”. Staff tells you to steer the horse left or right, which is true, however horses know where the trail is and where to go. I have seen other reviews that dislike this, however we were then able to relax and enjoy the ride with no fears of getting lost. We highly recommend this tour.

2 Thank NurseMichigan_USA
Michigan
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Kind of cool, place needs work”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We rented a carriage and horse for a group of six. The carriage they put us in was definitely not big enough for 6 people and for $90 an hour, I would expect more comfort. We had a huge Belgium horse Bud who was quite unique and a gentle giant. We really didn't have to drive him much, he knew the way on his own. He did however, make his own detours when he wanted to rest in the shade, in the trees and off the road. We thought it was to avoid the flies though. He needed to be sprayed down. It was kind of cool to do it on our own with no guide. The stables themselves and the carriage really needed some work. New paint and a cleaner look would've been nice. It looked pretty dumpy. Most of the staff were very friendly but there was one woman who was rather ornery. Overall it was fun and we were glad that we did it.

Visited August 2012