“A eclectic wonderful restaurant in the woods.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Woods Restaurant

The Woods Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Located a short horse-drawn carriage ride into the wooded interior of Mackinac Island. The opulent Tudor mansion with Bavarian charm provides for a delightfully casual dining experience. Test your skill on America’s oldest operating duckpin bowling alley. Enjoy before and after dinner drinks at Bobby’s Bar opening at noon daily.Woods Restaurant will open for the 2013 season on Friday, May 24th.Lunch 11:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Serving boxed lunches and hot dogs during the day.Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.Dress code is casual. Reservations are recommended for dinner. To reserve a table, call and ask for Woods Restaurant.Overnight guests of Grand Hotel on the Modified American Plan receive a $20.00 per adult credit towards the food portion of their bill. There is tipping at Woods.
Saint Joseph, Michigan
“A eclectic wonderful restaurant in the woods.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

We traveled in a horse and buggy taxi through the enchanted woods before arriving at the Woods. Bobby's Bar is on the right of reception as you enter. A very informal bar with a one lane bowling alley. One of the few duck pin bowling alleys left. You set your own pins then bowl with a slightly smaller ball than normal. Fun! We went into to the restaurant and had a wonderful dinner by the fireplace. Wine selection was somewhat limited because they only had two more days until closing for the season. Food and service was wonderful. We both had the beet salad and the main course of crab cakes and short ribs. We took the carriage ride back to the Grand Hotel through complete darkness and only the sound of horses hoofs on the road. It was a very special romantic and memorable evening.

1 Thank Jeff49085

Tinley Park, Illinois
“Thelmaandlouiseand louise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My girlfriends and I took a road trip. They had never been To Mackinac Island. I had been to the woods for my brothers wedding reception. I could not wait to share this with them. Food was excellent, ambiance excellent, But service was awful. For what we paid, the service should have been excellenrt.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kalamazoo, MI
“Very special and casually elegant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Excellent food and drink. Somewhat pricey, but worth it on Mackinac island. Had their whitefish almondine (very tasty) and wife had their Bavarian beef goulash (unique, good and flavorful). Martinis excellent. Classy wait staff. Enjoy the approx. 1/2 hr. carriage ride from town to dine. Make reservations and check on the carriage times. We will return, without question.

Visited October 2012
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Best Restaurant On The Island...Hands Down!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife and I spent our first anniversary on the island, and for our official anniversary dinner, we chose The Woods. I made reservations well in advance, and I’m glad I did, as this isn’t a place you eat and go in an hour, rather a great place to have a few drinks, eat slowly, and enjoy.

The Woods is about a 20 minute carriage ride from Main Street, all going through the forest. We went at night where you couldn’t see much, but it was totally romantic and awesome. Then, out of nowhere, you see a light and a cute restaurant appear out of nowhere, where you’re greeted at the door and are amazed by the look and feel of the place. In inside is all dark wood and deep red, and my wife told me “this all seems like a dream…like a fairytale”.

The food here is outstanding! We had the wild mushrooms, escargot, and the whitefish soup for appetizers. The wild mushrooms my wife ate in like 2 minutes because it was so tasty and good. The escargot was not the traditional you typically see, but rather almost like a soup, where they were all out of their shell and in a broth. It was the best escargot I’ve ever had, and instead of getting the typical six snails, I probably got 10-12. And the soup was amazing. Just the right amount of fish, smaller amount of potatoes, and the right about of sherry. So good!

For dinner my wife had the chicken, which she said was outstanding, and I had the lamb loin, which I thought was excellent (cooked medium rare, which was perfect).

How this isn’t the top restaurant on Mackinac is beyond me, because of this restaurant was in Chicago, it would be one of the busiest in the city.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Ciepierball
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“Great ambiance and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

To start with, the ride to the restaurant is magical. Our ride coincided with sunset and we were the only ones on our buggy shuttle. The food was very good, wonderful kasespatzle and Austrian Steak soup. The creme brulee was just okay. I loved the interior design of this restaurant--very old school hunting lodge.

Visited September 2012