“Great Cookout at the Woods”

The Woods Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located a short horse-drawn carriage ride into the wooded interior of Mackinac Island. The opulent Tudor mansion with Bavarian charm provides for a delightfully casual dining experience. Test your skill on America’s oldest operating duckpin bowling alley. Enjoy before and after dinner drinks at Bobby’s Bar opening at noon daily.Woods Restaurant will open for the 2013 season on Friday, May 24th.Lunch 11:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Serving boxed lunches and hot dogs during the day.Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.Dress code is casual. Reservations are recommended for dinner. To reserve a table, call and ask for Woods Restaurant.Overnight guests of Grand Hotel on the Modified American Plan receive a $20.00 per adult credit towards the food portion of their bill. There is tipping at Woods.
Michigan
“Great Cookout at the Woods”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Our annual trip to Mackinac Island revolves around a golf outing and the after game dinner is at the Woods. They always do a great barbecue. That coupled with the dessert buffet make this meal a danger to the waistline, but oh so good.

Visited August 2012

“Best in Town. Don't listen to the Bad reviews they don't know what they are talking about.”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and I frequent Woods as often as we can. We live close by so it is very easy for us to stop over. I don't ever like seeing bad reviews for Grand Hotel properties because I think that they do business the best in town. Yes. Woods may not be the best spot for lunch anymore but one day it was. There are no waiters on staff before 5:00pm. The people below got drinks from the bar and went outside. There is no one to come out and take another order. As we all know, you must come back to the bar to get a drink during the day. Neil informs everyone that I am sure. As far as dinner. The best in town. The food is amazing. The service is incredible. I have always felt that the waiters should be wearing something other than tux's tho. It is very hit there in the summer.

new hudson, mi
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't Waste Your Time!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Walked from town, through the manuere to find out that only chilled boxed lunches were available. Not a problem, we were starving so we thought that would suffice. Before we went to seat ourselves and order our sandwiches, the bartender said we had to order our drinks inside. Fine, two drinks with tip =$30.00! (BTW, Tanqueray/Tonic & Grey Goose/diet coke is all we ordered.) RIDICULOUS. We went to sit outside while we waited for our server, but they never came to the table. Another couple sat themselves near us, but they soon left as did we, since no one came to wait on us. While we waited, we stared at empty drink glasses on the tables nearby, and took a stab at the overcooked popcorn in the bar, even though the popcorn maker looked like it had never been cleaned. DISGUSTING! Then, we overheard a staff person order 2 cheeseburgers. I felt like saying, "What, thought you didn't serve lunch, at least that is what you told a customer on the phone and told us that only chilled box lunches were available." Like I said, don't waste your time, very disappointing as the other review wrote! Very over priced and unattentive wait staff.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank johnnydeppsgirl
chicago
“DISAPPOINTING”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife and I looked forward dining at this restaurant. The carriage ride through the woods ended at the door of this restaurant. It could have been superb, but like all the restaurants run by the Grand Hotel, the service and portions were sub standard compared to all of the other restaurants. The menu was inviting and limited. My wife and I received our drinks after the salad was served. My salad had three pieces of lettuce for $11.00. I moved onto the goulash..I was pleased with the quality and flavor. The hall is loud and casual dress, what they suggest, was not worn by many. So, to feel less uneasy, I suggest a more dressed attire. The carriage ride back, just after dark, was romantic and made up for the dinner's inadequacies.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank shiman
Michigan
“Awesome”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The only way to get to this gem is by carriage taxi which sets the scene for a special evening. Literally on the middle of no where nestled in the woods of Macinac island is ths hunters inspired restaurant owned by the Grand Hotel group. Ambience plus wonderful service with interesting choices produced one of those special evenings. Clubby bar with well poured drinks will keep this place as an annual tradition.

• Visited September 2012