“Worth it for the view”
Review of Fort Holmes

Fort Holmes
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Don't go here for the history--there's not much there except a placard. But do go for the incredible views. We went in early fall, just as the leaves were changing, and the views of the tops of the trees were spectacular.

There are newer reviews for Fort Holmes

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We had never been to the island and only knew about the most popular attractions. If the manager of The Inn at Stonecliffe, Stefanie Congden, hadn't told us about Ft. Holmes we never would have ventured their on our bikes. Such a view! And so cool to see part of the island history. Not much left of the fort, but well worth the ride there!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

A carriage ride took us up to Fort Holmes. It was a lovely ride and the view of the Upper Peninsula and the area islands was spectacular.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

It is a bit of a ride/hike. We had to walk the bikes in several areas but it was worth it. The view is great. The fort is showing wear.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Yes, it's a hike to get up there, but well worth it. I woke up early on Sunday to see this last attraction before going home, and Im glad I did. Nobody else was there and I got some cool pictures. I was extremely sore the next day after the uphill bike ride, and then lengthy (really cool) wooden stairs, but I was so glad I did. You can see 3/4 of the way around the island, and it's just cool to read the plaques and feel a little bit of the history there.

If you don't want the exercise, take the carriage. Don't do it first thing in the morning if you have other stuff planned. You'll be tired ...