I've been coming to the Grand Hotel since 1985, with family and with friends. It is an historic hotel with a wonderful atmosphere. This is not a Motel 6.
Part of the experience is dressing for dinner (no jeans or shorts after 6pm), how often do we do that these days? With a rotating menu, there are always delicious choices for dinner and dessert. After dinner, enjoy a demitasse in the parlor while listening to a harpist or pianist or look at the stars on the front porch. Furniture in the parlor is positioned as to create conversations between strangers, and there are always people chatting on the porch.
Breakfast is awesome, either order from the menu or enjoy the buffet. Breakfast and dinner are included in most packages (other than the bed and breakfast), the lunch buffet is not included but has become a tradition for me. After eating a few meals, walking the beautiful grounds of the hotel and island are necessary in order to not gain too many pounds! :)
Walking the grounds and gardens, swimming, enjoying the hot tub, wandering through the hotel and checking out the nooks and crannies is fun for all ages. No two rooms are decorated the same. The staff is friendly and everyone will answer your questions or direct you to the proper person.
On my last trip in October 2010, I became engaged on the front porch of the Grand Hotel. It was after dinner, on the front porch, underneath the stars. How romantic.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and TravelClick so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island