“A Fun and Beautiful experience”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed January 21, 2011

I've been coming to the Grand Hotel since 1985, with family and with friends. It is an historic hotel with a wonderful atmosphere. This is not a Motel 6.

Part of the experience is dressing for dinner (no jeans or shorts after 6pm), how often do we do that these days? With a rotating menu, there are always delicious choices for dinner and dessert. After dinner, enjoy a demitasse in the parlor while listening to a harpist or pianist or look at the stars on the front porch. Furniture in the parlor is positioned as to create conversations between strangers, and there are always people chatting on the porch.

Breakfast is awesome, either order from the menu or enjoy the buffet. Breakfast and dinner are included in most packages (other than the bed and breakfast), the lunch buffet is not included but has become a tradition for me. After eating a few meals, walking the beautiful grounds of the hotel and island are necessary in order to not gain too many pounds! :)

Walking the grounds and gardens, swimming, enjoying the hot tub, wandering through the hotel and checking out the nooks and crannies is fun for all ages. No two rooms are decorated the same. The staff is friendly and everyone will answer your questions or direct you to the proper person.

On my last trip in October 2010, I became engaged on the front porch of the Grand Hotel. It was after dinner, on the front porch, underneath the stars. How romantic.....

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank helgak99
Write a ReviewReviews (2,747)

Reviewed January 21, 2011

I have always loved the Island and I'm a big history buff. I have longed to stay at The Grand Hotel. We booked at a bargain rate but were treated first class. We had a room with beautiful views and great period decor. We sat on the porch with a glass of wine and listened to the clip clop of horses going by. We were even treated to a passing freighter. Our dinner was excellent and the wait staff was outstanding. Be sure to get the Grand Peacan Ball for dessert! The room was quiet and comfortable. It is located a comfortable walk from town but we spent all of our time just relaxing and exploring the hotel grounds. It was truly a memorable stay and will definately return.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fusie12
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I have stayed at the Grand on a few occasions, both with my husband and daughter, and with my mom. The one thing that always stands out in my experience is the outstanding treatment of guests by the staff. They treat guests like I would always like to be treated, but so often find my experiences as a traveler "wanting". I am writing this review from Key West, and have remarked to my husband that I am not in a hurry to come back. I feel like somewhat of a nuisance. I would rather spend my (hard-earned) money someplace where I feel that I am welcome.
My husband and I arrived @ the Grand one evening to find that our 5 year old's doll had been left behind in our car on the mainland. The mgr @ the Grand made an attempt to have the valet staff retrieve the doll (not a request on our part), and when this was unsuccessful, she brought her a stuffed puppy to be her friend for the night, explaining that the puppy could be friends with her doll when we arrived home. This was all done without any input from us, and we were staying in one of the very cheapest rooms, at the "Michigan resident special rate". We were treated as though our 5 year old was a very important guest, when we had paid much, much less than the normal rate.
On another visit, my very elderly mother-in-law came without warm enough clothes, and she went to the dining room not dressed per the dress code. My husband expressed concern that staff may "bother" her, but I assured him that the staff would treat her with the utmost respect. She was treated in a lovely manner by all the staff at all times, even though she was dressed quite differently from most of the other guests.
I have never been treated in a manner that is any way but excellent by ANY staff member.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
8  Thank layner
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My husband and I have gone to the Grand Hotel every year since 1995, sometimes more than once a year. We have always been very pleased with the accommodations, the food and the amenities offered, including the nightly dancing. We have had a nice experience each and every time and have always met great people while staying at the Grand. Having hosted a wedding at the Grand Hotel as well as enjoying cocktails and dancing after our son's wedding on the Island, we have experienced a number of different celebrations while there and each time has been great. Our thanks to the Grand and our hope that the Grand continues to offer the amenities that it has in the past.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jodi1953
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My family and I have visited the Grand Hotel over 17 times, and each time it's like we're wlecomed to our real home. I absoulutely love the Grand, it's dinners each night in the Main Dining Room, are outstanding and their service waiters and mater d's are excellent, in fact my children know their favorite waiters by heart. The Grand treats you like royalty and MAKES you relax, there are countless activities to do, if your scared of the price, go on a package, like the buy 2 get one night free! It's so worth it!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank balovestclairMI
Reviewed January 20, 2011

We have had the privilege of staying at the Grand on three occasions and each visit was perfect, without a flaw. The rooms are elegant as are the public spaces and the dining room and the food and service is excellent . Walking the grounds and around the island is very beautiful and the carriage rides fun. We love the Grand and will be back!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My wife and I have gone to the Grand yearly for about the last 7 or 8 years and plan on going twice this year. Everything here is better than top notch, and I mean EVERYTHING - the atmosphere, food, rooms, and service. The first time we stayed there I actually remarked to my wife that I felt we were in a play where everyone's role around us was to make sure we were completely satisfied with every aspect of our stay. What made it profound was that it wasn't an act - it was all genuine. We have all stayed places where it was obvious the attention from hotel staff was only due to the necessary "have-to" requirement for guests, but here at the Grand Hotel, it is a "want-to" attitude which is very easy to distinguish from the others. Go - you won't regret it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
#5 of 29 in Saint Ignace
Hotel Iroquois
Hotel Iroquois
#2 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!