At the beginning and the end of each season, the Grand Hotel offers a special deal for Michigan residents on a first come, first served basis. An ad will appear in the newspaper giving the number and the start time for calling. Just keep hitting redial. For those of you who do not know, Mackinac Island has no cars. You may walk, ride in a horse-drawn carriage, or ride a bicycle. For an unimaginably low price per person, Michigan residents are able to enjoy the following: the ride up to the hotel in a horse-drawn carrigae, afternoon tea, a welcoming cocktail party with exquisite hors d'oeuvres prior to a marvelous dinner with choices of a variety of appetizers, soups, a salad, entree`s, and desserts. Dinner is 5 star, so you must dress accordingly. Ballroom dancing is available afterwards. Rooms are all the same price, assigned in the order that you called (ours had a lovely third floor balcony overlooking the golf course and Lake Huron). The following morning, we received our choice of a lovely buffet or our choices off the special menu. (We chose the menu) A round of golf was included, but we had done that many times and so preferred to wander around inside the hotel, enjoying the shops and historical rooms. There is also a quaint town with lovely homes to see on your walk. We also went outside to wander the labyrinth and enjoy the landscaping. The day before, we had enjoyed drinks at the bar atop the hotel, where we were able to see the Mackinac Bridge both by daylight and lit up at night. We also received a discount on the hydrofoil (boat) ride to the island. We left our luggage dockside at the baggage deposit and it arrived in our room after we had checked in. For those of you not fortunate enough to live in Michigan, you can enjoy all these things from late Spring through Summer, just not at the same price. The town is on the waterfront, so you can pop in for a meal, snack, or beverage, if you so desire. Of course, you can bring home souvenirs of your visit to the fort, etc.
This is where they filmed "Somewhere in Time". We have been to the island many times. I highly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island