Grand Hotel
Island House Hotel(Mackinac Island)
$340
  • Pool
Lake View Hotel(Mackinac Island)
$323
  • Restaurant
Mission Point(Mackinac Island)
$212
  • Pool
Lilac Tree Suites & Spa(Mackinac Island)
$293
  • Spa
Chippewa Hotel Waterfront(Mackinac Island)
  • Restaurant
The Inn at Stonecliffe(Mackinac Island)
  • Breakfast included
Harbour View Inn(Mackinac Island)
2,775 results
All reviewscupola barcourse dinnerno tippingthe main dining roomjockey clubgrand experiencebucket listlongest porchhigh teaonce in a lifetimedress codecoat and tiecelebrate michiganpecan balllunch buffetcruise shipterrace room
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We've been staying at the Grand for more than 30 years. They have been running some super specials this year and we've taken advantage of them twice for 3 nights each. This last stay they put us in the newer east wing and it was fantastic - large and comfortable with a great bathroom. I know some people have complained about the age of the building but it is part of it's charm. It is always clean and the staff are very attentive and nice.

1  Thank jsmi7333
Reviewed October 8, 2010

The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island has been on my bucket list for some time.
We never thought we would be able to stay due to the "regular" charges for the rooms.
I joined their email club and I follow them on Facebook. They had a special rate, so my husband and I decided to try it out.
We were not disappointed. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful even though there were so many people checking in, they were very professional.
Our room was right above the magnificent porch. We had a beautiful view. This was a category II room, so it was a bit bigger. The dinner that night was wonderful as was dancing afterward. All the hotel staff was very helpful, room was clean, it was a shame we only stayed one night. For those that have posted that the service was not great, I am not sure we stayed in the same place. Every employee was very engaging and personable. We hope to visit again.

1  Thank Lisa-OH
Reviewed September 30, 2010

This was the fun, relaxing and romantic weekend we had hoped it would be. We read the reviews and were sceptical about our upcoming weekend at the Grand. But, the service was first rate. The rooms were all different, beautiful and comfortable. We had no musty smell or cramped feeling. Dressing for our drink on the porch at 6:00 was a throw back to the days of our parents and grandparents, which was a generation that knew how to do it big. We walked to town and had dinner at the Yankee Rebel, which was highly recommended and was a great meal at a good value. Bar hopped our way through town and enjoyed our after dinner drink - a blueberry infuzed vodka White Russian - at Horn's. My family has had a cottage on a northern Michigan lake since 1944 (I'm 53 years old ) and I've been to the Island a million times for day trips. I'm glad I spent a night. Everyone should spend one night at the Grand Hotel in their lifetime. We weren't disappointed.

1  Thank drstox
Reviewed September 29, 2010

My wife and I travelled to Mackinac Island for our wedding anniversary. We chose to stay at one of the other hotels one night and then one night at the Grand Hotel. We were excited to stay at the Grand Hotel because we thought it would be a treat for our wedding anniversary. I stayed at the Grand Hotel once when I was twelve years old. I remember a great place with that I experienced with my family. I was sorry that we came back because the hotel hasn't changed in twenty years. As we walked up to the hotel, we were both amazed by the hotel's architecture. We chose to sit on the front porch and have a glass of wine while admiring the beautiful view of the straits, though, as we were viewing, we saw that the American flags were torn and had holes in them. Not only was this surprising in general for a hotel like the Grand Hotel, but also quite disappointing and disrespectful. We then chose to go see our room because we heard other guests complaining that their rooms were lacking in quality. We ended up getting a suite that was large and spacious with a fantastic view. However, we again were disappointed by the peeling wallpaper in both the living room and bathroom, as well as stains on the carpet and couches. This was just surprising coming from the Grand Hotel with standards it holds for itself. In regards to food, we did eat at Woods restaurant, off-site, the previous night of our stay at the Grand Hotel and had good dinner. The carriage ride to Woods was fun and charming. The Woods building was quaint and cozy and the food was good but not exceptional. The service was fast and efficient, though at times the waiter was indifferent and abrupt with us, to the point we sometimes felt rushed and guilty about asking questions on the menu. We did eat in the main dining room the following night and was looking for a great dining experience, though again, we should have known when the front desk asked us twice if we wanted to eat somewhere else when we checked in. We were pleasantly greeted by the host and seated quickly. We were again disappointed by the sub-standard quality of food by the Grand Hotel. The appetizers were good, especially the rock shrimp and wild mushroom soup. The entrees my wife and I were mediocre, at best, definitely not worth the $70 price tag per dinner. The whitefish was bland and covered in a very strong almond sauce and the stuffed chicken was something you would see from a banquet hall at a bad wedding. The desserts, however, were probably the best part of the dinner in regards to the mango cheesecake and pecan ball. It did feel a lot like a cruise ship, though not a top-of-the-line company at all. After dinner, we thought we would should try the entertainment, and we went to see the Grand Hotel orchestra. The listed "orchestra," however, was a four-piece jazz quartet. My wife and I are both music lovers and was disappointed by the quality of the music, as well as the singing. The breakfast the next morning was good, but again, nothing extraordinary that you wouldn't find at a breakfast place down the street from the hotel. Overall, my wife and I had a good time on Mackinac Island. Staying at the Grand Hotel was definitely an experience, but we were expecting something "Grand." My wife and I have travelled frequently and can say we know the different quality levels of hotels. Grand Hotel proclaims an exceptional experience in a hotel, directly stating it in its informational TV station. We didn't feel the Grand Hotel gave us that. Though my wife and I were able to stay at the hotel for the discounted Fall Getaway package, we still don't believe it is worth staying for the price of the room, service, entertainment, and especially the food. The hotel's beautiful porch and long, storied history is just not enough anymore to justify the extremely high prices at the hotel. Granted, you are paying for the location on the island and that is part of the charm, but there must be some quality to back up the claims as an outstanding hotel. To be an outstanding hotel, attention to details like the fixing peeling wallpaper, replacing holed and shredding American flags, hiring qualified musicians to be labeled an "orchestra," and extra smile at dinner from the wait staff need to done to make the customer feel like they are at a special place. The customer needs to feel like their money being spent at the hotel is worth the "grand" experience. The last point we would like to make is that there is not much thought to the younger age group at the hotel, especially the entertainment. The orchestra could definitely play music through many generations. My wife and I do not usually write reviews but we felt like we had to on this one. We would definitely see the porch and views from the Grand Hotel but would never stay here again.

6  Thank Cottage2009
Reviewed September 25, 2010

What a grand place to have some R&R. 5 course dinner, great breakfast included and large room!

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple