Last month we called the Grand Hotel and made a reservation for one night in September of this year (for their basic room). The price quoted for the room was a bit higher than we would have liked, but we were assured that this included dinner, all taxes, their gratuity charge for all their top-notch service since tipping isn't allowed, and transfer of luggage to the ferry. But we decided this would probably be once-in-a-lifetime, so we agreed to the price and made the reservation. My girlfriend gave her credit card number and was told she would be charged for the full price (we were surprised we would be charged in advance but agreed). Note that we didn't think we were getting a bargain or the price seemed wrong. We called, they gave us a total price that was over $500, and we agreed and made the reservation.
The next day my girlfriend received several messages from the hotel saying they needed her to call immediately. When she returned their call they stated that we were given the wrong price, and that the room would be over $100 more for the night. Worse, when she said she wasn't going to agree to this immediately and needed to talk with me first, they said if she decided to cancel after that day we would be charged a cancellation fee!!!
My girlfriend eventually convinced them to let us call them back the next day to resolve the issue.
We talked that night and called back the next day and told them we had made a reservation and expected them to honor the price that was agreed upon. They flatly said they wouldn't and we could cancel our reservation if we didn't want to pay the additional amount. So we just canceled our reservation. They were cordial about it but barely offered an apology. Hopefully nothing will be charged to our credit card.
We were extremely disappointed--especially because this was supposed to be a top-notch hotel with quality service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and TravelClick so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island