“Everything a Romantic Get Away Should Be!!!”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Tacoma, Washington
“Everything a Romantic Get Away Should Be!!!”
Reviewed March 27, 2007

I had the pleasure of attending the Labor Day Jazz Weekend and I was Spectacular. Fantastic concerts, wonderful meals and an atmosphere that makes you feel like you are apart of a royal family. The staff was kind and gracious. The rooms were immaculate and large...and despite the lack of air conditioning - the rooms were very comfortable. (I keep my house set at 70 and I was never hot...) The town is very cute and everything is a short stroll away. If you are looking for a great vacation or a romantic get-a-way you will be glad you made the choice to stay here. I am already planning my next visit!

• Liked — The Food and the Fudge!!!
  • Disliked — It's difficult to get to the island.
  • Stayed March 2003, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank RGM&KAM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Korean first
Catalina
Reviewed February 26, 2007

Mackinac Island is a very special place... no cars.. very peaceful. I live in Southern California and have been to Catalina Island.. trust me - no comparision. Mackinac wins hands down. If you go there you should pay the price and stay at the Grand Hotel at least once... So, the food isn't the greatest and the decor is vintage 50's... I spent a great weekend there with a beautiful woman.. I'll never forget it.... Go there.. bribe the desk clerk and get a room overlooking the straights... Have drinks at the Cupola Bar.. watch the sunset and enjoy.

Stayed September 2005
15 Thank Fed161
Northern Michigan
Reviewed February 6, 2007

Our second stay at the Grand Hotel, and we had a wonderful time! This is hands down my favorite hotel on Mackinac Island! We checked in early and were shown to our room...very nicely decorated with a lovely balcony and view of the water. The level of service at the Grand never ceases to amaze me...it's truly like being transported to a bygone era...a much more formal time, but in a good way.

After check in, my wife headed to the spa for a massage and I to the golf course for a quick nine on the Grand's course. I played the Grand nine and had a lot of fun...it's a short course and while the layout is well done for the amount of space, the maintainence on the course is the only thing I've ever found lacking at the Grand Hotel. It was a gorgeous October day though, with 70 degree temps, sun and great fall colors...what more can you ask for?

After golf, I met my wife back in the room to clean up for dinner and have a couple cocktails on the balcony. We met some friends in the bar before heading to the dining room for dinner. Keep in mind when considering the Grand that ladies are expected to be in fine evening wear and men in coats and ties after 5:00. Another thing worth mentioning is that included in your room rate is a phoenominal five course dinner and full hot breakfast.

We had a couple more drinks in the bar, and headed to the dining room. If you've never been, the dining room is a real treat in itself...it's absolutely huge and beautifully done. Dinner's a real event here, so take your time and enjoy. There are five full courses and several choices for each. Everything sent to our table was delicious and beautifully presented. Anywhere else on the island, this dinner would run you at least $100 per person, so figure that in when comparing lodging rates.

After dinner, we took a nice walk on the porch and just generally enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel. There's so much history here that one could spend an entire stay just wandering around taking things in!

Anyway, enough rambling...if you want a top notch stay and are willing to pay for it, the Grand is for you. One of the finest hotels I've had the pleasure of visiting. It will be hard to visit the island and stay anywhere other than the Grand!

• Liked — the "grand" atmosphere...cheesy pun, but "grand" is really the best description!
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
16 Thank deadheadcouple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 17, 2006

Sept. 10-13, 2006....We have celebrated our birthdays at The Grand Hotel for the past 8 years. We prefer weekdays in mid Sept. when there are less people on the island. I think that The Grand is definitely full of old world charm. If you have seen "Somewhere in Time" staying at least once is a must. This is a beautiful old hotel on the Historic Registry. The fun starts by taking the 20 minute ferry over to the island. We always take our own bicycles and park them in The Grand's parking lot ( for bicycles only). There are no cars on the island. You walk, ride bikes, horses or ride in a horse and buggy. It is truley Somewhere in time like the movie. Two years ago while staying there we got to meet Jane Seymour and her husband James. Simply lovely people. Jane was doing a promotion for her Mackinaw Island bedding. They had beds set up all over the hotel and their beautiful grounds. I was so thrilled to meet her being a big fan of hers and loving the movie "Somewhere in Time" that was filmed at The Grand and other locations on the island. Never know who might show up there.

I have read all the reviews and as I said..Make up your own mind about what you are looking for at The Grand Hotel.
Beautiful Historic Old Hotel with a huge front porch to enjoy.
We have never had a problem going into the hotel in shorts to get registered. Yes, they have people to stop non guest from coming in without paying. We just say we are checking in and have never had any problems. As a long time guest I am glad they do that. If they didn't you would be over run with tourist looking around and not be able to enjoy your vacation there.
Rooms vary...There are some very small rooms that could use some up dating, some really nice rooms and some exceptional rooms. Interrior rooms generally have AC and lake view rooms don't even though you pay more for them. You are paying for the view and some of them have balconies.
We have always had a nice non view room with a king bed, sitting area,small TV and AC or a room in the Millenium section. The newest rooms are in the Millenium section of the hotel. These rooms have a larger TV and a VCR. They have a copy of "Somewhere in Time" for you to watch which is neat. I have always requested a king non smoking room with AC and have gotten it.
Reservations....Front desk can be alittle nasty at times. They don't like to change your room, but I have always been able to change if I didn't like the room I got. I think it is just the nature of the place. They want you to think they are really doing you a huge favor. After one visit I found a charge on my credit card that I didn't put there. I called and they took it right off. I always call directly on their toll free number to make reservations. Try their stay two nights and get the third night free...Best Deal in town. Check the web site to find the dates. ( early summer and mid Sept. & Oct.) Why pay full price for a room???????? You have a nice room anyway and you get exactly the same perks as the expensive rooms. (Some suites aren't exactly suites...Just maybe a couch instead of chairs. Themed rooms can ran as high as $800 a night.) You get a full breakfast or choice of breakfast buffet. We find the Full breakfast is best. Who doesn't want to be waited on by waiters in a tux at breakfast? You can get a buffet anywhere. You also get a five course dinner with the Grand Hotel Band entertaining you. You can always find something you will like. My husband loves their pecan balls for dessert. Don't complain about getting dressed for dinner.....It makes you feel good. Everyone wants to walk down Pecock Alley in their finest like they did in TIMES GONE BY so everyone can see them. That's the old world feeling of the hotel. Your reservations tell you up front that you must dress for evening meals. After dinner enjoy music and demitass coffee in the palor. Then go to the Terrace Room for evening dancing. Remember this is all included in your nightly rate. You can get out of the hotel to go down town without being dressed up. We have even been on the porch in the evening in jeans. Being dressed up in the dinningroom and other public areas is actually a nice thing. More places should require that. Just use the elevator that goes down to the lower floor and go out the door with out any problems. Since we go in the fall we have never used the pool. We love riding around the island. If you are there a few days taking your own bike is worth it. ( only $7.50 extra on the ferry) The bike gives you great exercise and riding around the island and up over the mountain and down the other side is great. The island is beautiful. I call it my pamper time away from the noise and having to think about traffic on the roads when riding bikes. They do have shops down town,but mostly tourist type things. I have gotten some nice shirts and sweat shirts. You can take a buggy ride to tour the island which is neat along with touring the fort. We just enjoy riding our bikes every day and then The Grand Hotel is our evening entertainment from dinner to dancing the night away. We always have to take a stroll on the beautiful porch after dinner. We have met so many really nice people from all over the world. The staff has always been very nice from the waiters to the maids. They even change your towels after you have gone to dinner when they turn your beds down. They leave Sweet Dreams candy on your pillows. A nice touch. People complain that the rooms and furniture aren't very nice, the staff is bad, food isn't good and so on. We go because we enjoy the atmosphere and old world charm. Hope you can make your mind up from my review and enjoy The Grand the way we do. Nothing is ever perfect. Check out their web site and go to Mackinaw Island. Bottom line ... if you think about what you get ... Full service breakfast, five course dinner and entertainment in a historic hotel you will want to go there at least once. If you add up the cost of other places on the island for a room and paying for meals without an evening of entertainment The Grand Hotel deals are well worth the price. Maybe you will get to meet Jane sometime when you are there. See you there!!!!!!

• Liked — A Beautiful Hotel with Old World Charm of Times Gone By......
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — STAY when they have THIRD NIGHT FREE....Best Deal
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
25 Thank TheArtTeacher
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 3, 2006

Booked early at FULL price. Arrived to check in & discovered I left Confirnation info in the Car on the mainland. Desk Clerk actually suggested I go back on the Ferry to get it. After I protested, she reluctantly searched and found ALL the info necessary in the Computer. A bad start solved by protesting.
The room was excellent, and the dinner was fine.
A great once in a lifetime place to see and visit!!!

• Stayed September 2006
4 Thank alseal
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed October 3, 2006

What a place to get married!!! From the beginning of planning to checking out of the hotel, it was a fairy tale experience.
Marty, the wedding coordinator, is a pro! She made it simple and so much fun to plan our wedding. Our ceremony was on the end of the porch that overlooks the straits and bridge. It was a perfect, sunny day with the temperature at about 77. I had my hair done in the on-site Aveda salon---it was exactly like I requested. She also managed to touch-up my nails.
Marty gave us suggestions and names of justice of the peace, photographers and livery services for the carriage ride after.
We stayed in a beautiful suite with a porch overlooking the straits and the bridge. How special--words can't explain. Every attention to detail was handled with no reminders needed.
The quietness and serenity of this resort and Island is the perfect back drop for such an important day!
Thank you Marty and all the staff and owners of the Grand Hotel, our days was perfect!
Ann & Steve Smyth

• Liked — Uniqueness of this Grand Hotel!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring your walking shoes and bikes.
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Ram*Tough
arizona
Reviewed October 3, 2006

Mackinac Island is a unique experience and The Grand Hotel is indeed a highlight. There was not much to do in town, so the hotel amenities - and there are many - were very important to our stay. This is the place to relax on the long porch with its wonderful views, to play bocce ball or golf or bike or just walk around as the mood strikes. We spend many vacations in bustling cities and this was quite the opposite - and a very welcome change.
This charming old hotel is very well maintained, staff are professional and friendly, the food is very good, musicians (in dining room, coffee area, bar) are excellent. A great place to get away from "the real world," at least for a couple days.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple