“grand dissappoimant” 3 of 5 bubbles

Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
“grand dissappoimant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

well 2 days a go me and my parents stayed at the grand hotel and I was dissapointed keep in mind that I'm 16 when we got to the room the first though that crossed my mind is that I've seen motels with nicer rooms the room itself was tiny and tacky and no a/c! when you call a evelator it gose to every floor but te one you want. it's not all bad the food a servace is the best I've seen but that wasent good enoufgh to save the overall packege

all in all I would not come back even if you paind me I did not like the island one bit

• Stayed July 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2005

I am a relatively seasoned traveler who has been to many of those "top hotels of the World" listed in so many different forms. The Grand hotel is a gigantic seasonal resort and should be compared with the likes of the Greenbriar, The Homestead,The Cloisters, etc.. I have no qualms in saying The Grand is better than any of these. The staff is pleasant and reasonably quick. The food is fresh, varied, and well presented, and the rooms are in excellent condition. This place is not tired or worn out. The physical beauty of the island in overwhelming . The grounds are spectacular. If you are looking for individual pampering, go to a small liitle hotel. It cant really be done here because of its sheer size; weddings, numerous business groups and general vacationers are intermingled, but it works. I think a room without a view and air-conditioning is far superiour to a smaller room with a view and no AC. The nine inch tv's are pretty humorous. Sleep with the windows open at night and be prepared for early morning waking to the sounds of streets being power washed ( for the horses calling cards)and other neccessary preparations for the day. The dining room is bright and full of natural light.
The swimming pool area is great for everyone from liitle ones to teens to adults. The golf course is not for the serious golfer, but is a lot of fun and reasonably scenic. One takes a horse drawn carriage ride of 20 minutes to go from front to back nine. All in all not too shabby!

• Stayed July 2005
25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2005

Mackinac Island is beautiful and so is the Grand Hotel, but due to the high price and the less that wonderful reviews we decided to stay elsewhere. Hence, we were forced to pay $10.00 per person to see the hotel. This is fine, but they didn't charge everyone. When you head toward the hotel there are people in red jackets who stop you and tell you that you need to purchase a ticket if you're not a guest. We did so, but when we were finished around 5PM, they were all gone and people were coming and going freely! Also, you can enter from the road on the other side of the hotel and no one will stop you, or you can come in from the gardens and no one says anything, so I think the $10 fee is a joke. The best thing to see is the porch. The hotel is beautiful, if dated. We asked for advice from the conceirge and she treated us like dirt since we weren't guests and because we didn't want to do the $45 lunch buffet, which had less than stellar reviews.

We ate at their Woods Restaurant which is a mile and a half away on the golf course, the food was decent for the price, they service great.

I was just bugged that I had to pay $10 to walk onto the property and didn't get much for it.

Stayed June 2005
26 Thank toasty
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2005

I have just returned from two days at the Grand Hotel in Mackinac during their Lilac Festival. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to stay at the Grand. I am in the travel business and this is a good destination for Texans to get out of the heat. There is now non-stop service on American Airlines to Traverse City which is about two hours driving time. It was a pretty drive and enjoyable. The service was wonderful and I especially enjoyed the Jockey Club and pianist. The orchestra was also great in the dining room and Terrace room. I definitely think this makes for a wonderful weekend.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2005

We stayed at Grand Hotel over Memorial Weekend. Though the room was comfortable and charming it was rather small. Even though the main dining room is a very busy place, and not the most intimate spot we felt like we were truly special guests. After all, how many places do you get to dress up and eat a 5 course meal like that anymore. The food came fast but the serivce was over all so-so. We could not get a second cup of coffee.

Really the best thing the Grand has is a young and beautiful harpist named Ashley. She was perfect in every way, We have heard other musicians before but none can compare to the show this young muscian put on. She was wonderful, and we made sure to eat early so we could hear her whole show. What a treasure! We are sure she will move on to better things. She was our favorite part of the whole trip to the island, and we will be staying again, we hope she is around.

22 Thank LizB12
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2005

I write this so perhaps someone else will think twice about staying at the "Grand" just because of its long history and famous clientele.
Its heyday is long over, but the price charged for the rooms and meal are absolutely ridiculous - for what you get. The room my husband and I stayed in was simply gawdy, it looked to be decorated by a 5 year old girl. There is no air conditioning in the rooms, and the television was as small as a shoe box. But the most uncomfortable part about our stay was the staff. "If We Don't Smile You Don't Have To Pay" is a sign posted at the front desk. During the "five course meal" which was included in our stay, our waiters may have been dressed for the part, but the service was worse than poor, it was confrontational! If you've never had a relaxing and elegant meal, you won't get one here either.
Oh well. The island was great of course, but it could be better without the big eyesore of the famous "Grand."

• Stayed June 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
50 Thank Marlashane
Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2005

My wife and I stayed one night at The Grand Hotel to celebrate our 25th anniversary. It definitely has an ambiance and personality of its own. Compare it maybe to the first class accommodations on the Titanic. Musicians playing standards from the last two centuries, service staff dressed in tie and tails displaying an officious yet accommodating attitude, beautiful views of the water outside and the polish of elegance inside.

One tip. If you desire a specific room or area of the hotel, make the request with your reservation. I had assumed that all rooms, particularly at a $700 a night rate, would face the straits. Not so. Our room sat way at the back (the hotel is really L-shaped), overlooking the golf course. It was a pretty view still, but a very long walk to the dining and entertainment areas.

Gourmets should appreciate the selections for dinner, but it was hit and miss with my wife and me. My champagne poached salmon was surprisingly bland. But the crab bisque was remarkable for its potent flavor and character. The best was the Grand Hotel Pecan Ball, an ice cream delicacy served with the best hot fudge on this planet. In fact, I heard someone remark that this dessert is "out of this world." I agree.

The Grand Hotel appears to have its fans who return often. My comment is that those who can afford to stay here are not the high paid professionals, but those whose wealth accommodates luxury without their working. For the rest of us, it provides a brief glimpse into what luxury was then, and still is.

• Stayed May 2005
#7 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Island House Hotel
Island House Hotel
#6 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!