“Expensive but NIce”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Pella, IA
“Expensive but NIce”
Reviewed July 3, 2009

We had a great time at the Grand Hotel. I think we may have been very lucky but when we were looking online the cheapest room we could find was over $600 per night. When we called we were able to get a room for $260 but that included only breakfast. When we were checking in we were very surprised when we were looking for room 146 and 150 and found we could not find the rooms…. After continuing to look my mom stuck her key in the door that said the apartment to the president of the United States. It worked, I could not believe it, and we got the presidential suite at discount rate? If you can ask for rooms 146 and 150 if you are traveling with an additional couple. The hotel is really nice, a bit on the fancy side, having to dress up in the evening was not my husband’s favorite part but we enjoyed it. I would not recommend eating supper in the dining room, at $70 per person I would expect food that is better but the sweets were nice, I will include a picture of my crème brule.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (838)
  • Korean first
Michigan
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel regularly throughout the years and find it to be of singular charm, beauty and historical interest. The hotel offers niceties from bygone eras such as High Tea, after dinner cordial service in the parlor and nightly dancing to the Grand Hotel Orchestra. There are the usual amenities such as golf, tennis and swimming in the pool once featured in a film starring Esther Willliams. Pictures and descriptions of this movie, as well as those regarding "Somewhere in Time" and other interesting historical facts/events line the walls of the Lower Lobby. The gardens and grounds are gorgeous, the food always a treat and service is of level I haven't encountered in many other establishments. But don't let any of this intimidate you. It's a comfortable place to grab a book and relax out on the porch, head up to the cupola for a beverage and take in the view of the straits, wander through the hotel shops, turn your kids loose in the game room, watch a movie at night or just get some R & R. The pace is slower and the absence of cars in favor of the horse and carriage contribute to the uniqueness of Mackinac and enhance the historical ambiance of Grand Hotel and other sites on the island.

2 Thank Elizabeth50Michigan
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed July 1, 2009

My husband and I delighted in the whole experience, from arriving to the horse-drawn carriages, to the sweeping veranda of the Grand Hotel - to the service, the elegance, the grandure and yet the sense of personal comfort and being part of family vacations going back generations. It felt like being on a gracious cruise ship. We would go back in an instant. It was indeed not just a destination but an entire experience. Very romantic, too!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LouiseP24
Mississippi
Reviewed July 1, 2009

My daughter and I visited the Grand Hotel for our summer vacation. My "tween" loves history and was charmed by the hotel and Mackinac Island. From the moment the Grand picked us up at the doc in the horse-drawn carriage through our departure from the picturesque island, we had a charming getaway we won't forget. We had a beautiful room, wonderfully decorated with an impressive lake view. The food was delectable, beautifully presented. We enjoyed breakfast and the lunch buffet and dinner in Grand Salon. We also ate in the other restaurants on site, including the tea shop. The service was courteous, accommodating and non-intrusive. My daughter was especially impressed with the storied long porch and the exceptional flowers and gardens. The pool was fun, too. I highly recommend the Grand not only for its history but for as a delightful, memorable experience for the contemporary traveler.

Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ontheroadalot_9
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I have visited the Grand Hotel for the past three summers and have found it to be an absolutely magical place. The service is incredible and the setting is divine. Who could ask for more? Oh yeah, the food is great, too. My husband and I loved having so many venues for meals. The dining room was fabulous but we also loved the Woods. I guess the thing that keeps bringing us back above all though is the Grand's porch. It just takes you back in time to a more gracious era. When I'm there I never want to leave. Hence we keep coming back and back and back...

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SallySue33
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Beautiful all around. A lovely, historic building, wonderful food, very relaxing. The island offers lots to do in the way of hiking, biking, etc. The lake is incredible.

St. Paul
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I've stayed at the Grand Hotel on three separate occasions, and I rate them as among the very best hotel stays I've ever experienced. I've never been treated more royally nor with a more comfortable meld of old decorum and new "relaxed." The setting is absolutely grand, the food marvelous, and the staff so very helpful. If the opportunity arises, I'll return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Harbour View Inn
Harbour View Inn
#6 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!