After years of listening to iconic stories about this destination we finally got there. By and large it was excellent. The staff is impeccable, the setting is beautiful and the building, itself, is breathtaking. The actual experience is, for better and worse, very much like being on a land-based cruise ship. All your needs are met, but it is all a little "pretend." If I have a caution it is regarding the dining room. Menus were imaginatively conceived. At the eye they were beautiful; at the mouth it was rather hit and miss. Very much cruise ship dining. One meal was wonderful. The next night 2 of my 4 courses I found inedible -- a tepid, gelatinous goo that purported to be lobster bisque, followed by veal dish so salty that it could self-preserve. Breakfasts were, well, plentiful if not flavorful. And then, just as I despaired, the next dinner virtually sang. So, temper your culinary expectations and enjoy the pampering, the elegant nostalgia, and the view.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island